www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:39 am 

Puffy,

Thanks for the explanation. The external foam strip may do the trick when used with a condom without any internal adhesive gel. For the short-term uses I am concerned about, I would be in my cabin or in bed - not very active. So, the external strip might give enough security for overnight use while being easy to remove in the morning.

Of course, for longer periods of use, or anytime out of my cabin, active, or ashore, I would wear the most secure external condom with an internal adhesive.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:44 am 

Don't get too excited with foam strips. A long, long time ago a sheath called Posey was sold that had no adhesive and used an external strap such as you describe.

Do Not Trust Them

I've got wet with those more or less every-time I used them. Then there was Coloplast - they still sell sheaths with a separate double sided sticky strip to apply before the sheath. They were better.... well a bit better. Once the self-adhesive ones came along, there was really no choice.

Stay with self-adhesive. They are the safest and the ones you can rely on.Soak in the bath if they are hard to remove.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:21 am 

Wheels, your point is well taken. However, what are my best options for a condom that I need to be able to put on in the evening and take off in the morning - after 8 - 12 hours, rather than 24?

Other solutions that I have read include applying a band of Vaseline around the upper shaft of the penis so that all of the adhesive gel does not adhere. That is "iffy" also.

Guys, I am open to suggestions. :D

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:46 am 

My soul suggestion is soaking in a bath in the morning - which i think ought to let the sheath be removed without too much problem. I suppose it depends on one skin type. I never had a problem getting a sheath off whenever needed, except for one, the Rochester one. I though it was going to take my 'member' with it! All the other I have tried simply rolling the sheath back up has released them. You do roll them up don't you, John?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:36 pm 
Admin

I agree with you Wheels on the foam strips, but they are helpful, unlike the Texas style caths with no adhesive and the 2 sided strip that goes on the skin inside the cath, what a useless attempt at sealing out any possible leaks! One trial of those, and never tried again, like wearing nothing. I just like the added security of something keeping things in place, just in case! :) Puffy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:12 pm 

I guess I am the only guy who does not have any difficulty in getting the condom to stay on.

However, getting them off is another thing. My first condom, the Conveen Optima condom required almost 45 minutes of soaking in shower, peeling, tugging, using alcohol, and even using scissors to clip off the tip so I could also get to it from that end. That was after 24 hours. I think you will agree that that was unrealistic. Also it left the skin of my penis very irritated and sore.

I'm still looking. Remember, all it has to do is stay on securely for one night and then come off. Remember, I'll be on a cruise ship with a tight morning schedule to get up, get ready, and leave the ship for the shore.

While imperfect, are the foam strips my best option?

More suggestions?

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:46 pm 
Admin

You could certainly try a "Sports sheath" which is shorter, and has less adhesive area for shorter wear time. Trial and more trial, you will find a different one for different situations and wear time. Mentor has a SS style for sure, not sure on other brands, but they all should have one with LESS adhesive area, better for nights? 8) I would be really hesitant at just using the outer foam strap without any glue holding it on at night! Puffy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:02 am 

Puffy, great recommendation!! :D

I was not aware of the "sports sheath" category. I'll see what I can find.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:08 pm 

I have been reading this thread with great interest. My last urologist insisted that I begin to use external catheters. If they work for you, wonderful; I could never make them work for me. Either they came unglued at the worst possible moment, or they kinked painfully, or, if the glue worked well enough to prevent leakage, taking them off was an exercise in futility. And I still had to deal with bowel leakage, making a diaper necessary. I have a small inventory of external catheter supplies that will probably never be used.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:33 am 

My experimentation with the new catheter condoms has been delayed for a week. Following surgery for a skin cancer, my dermatologist prescribed an antibiotic. Side effect? - diarrhea, of course. :( As I am sensitive to this, I do not dare to use the external cath and skip the diaper. So, it is back to just diapers for the week.

More on the continuing saga later.

--John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next