www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Very First Condom Cath
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:32 am 

This has been a month for "firsts." I did my first self-intermittent catheterization and just now I put on my very first condom catheter.

I have to admit that it really feels strange. The Coloplast condom with the adhesive gel inside went on without any problems and seems to be on securely. All the connections seem to be secure and I checked for kinks and twists. However, I am very much aware of the tube running down my leg and that is after I already trimmed off much of the excess tubing.

The leg bag straps are not confidence-inspiring. They are elastic with buttons. I think I read that many of you guys upgraded the straps.

Now to hydrate some more and test the darn thing.

I can't figure out how to attach the bed beg to the bed. :( It is a Rusch brand bag and said to attach to the sheet with the clamp provided. I see a plastic hook but no clamp. Perhaps I will take an oversize diaper pin and just pin it to the mattress. Suggestions anyone?

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:10 pm 

John, look into the Urocare leg bag holder. It looks like a knee sock with a pouch in it for the bag.....it's way better than the straps provided......as far as night time bag, I actually cut a slit in my mattress just under the pillow top and I slide the end of the bedside bag hanger into the slit (about a 3/4" slit that can't be seen under the pillow top) best of luck to you.......Ihope this is the solution you've been waiting for.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:19 pm 

UROCARE fabric leg bag holder......I ise the one for the lower leg/calf

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 611.62 KiB | Viewed 10704 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:53 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
This has been a month for "firsts." I did my first self-intermittent catheterization and just now I put on my very first condom catheter.

*snip*
I can't figure out how to attach the bed beg to the bed. :( It is a Rusch brand bag and said to attach to the sheet with the clamp provided. I see a plastic hook but no clamp. Perhaps I will take an oversize diaper pin and just pin it to the mattress. Suggestions anyone?

--John

Slide a clothes hanger between the mattress and the box spring but leave part of one end sticking out. And hang the bag from that.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:42 am 

Thank you PB&J and Scott! Great suggestions both. :D

PB&J, I can see from the image you included that the Urocare holder would be very secure. Thanks for the picture. With only the elastic straps that came with my current leg bag I would be hesitant to wear it out of the house.

Scott, your suggestion was utter simplicity and I would not have thought of it. Thanks again.

BTW, after a successful test, I wore the external catheter to bed last night. I made it through the night without any leaks, although I was very much aware of the tubing and afraid I would turn and pull something loose. This morning I changed over to my leg bag and continue to wear it while I write this. Later, after my enema and shower I will go back into a diaper as my risk of bowel incontinence will increase, although very slowly.

Related question, for bowel incontinence, does anyone wear a diaper with a condom cath? If so, how do you make it work?

--John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:59 am 

It is too soon to be following my own posts, but my learning curve has accelerated. I was just going in to drain and remove my leg bag and condom when I noticed that my house slipper sounded strange - "squishy." Gee, I thought, it sounds almost soggy, but that shouldn't be. Then I felt some moisture at my pant leg, reached down, and found that my bag was draining urine. :cry: Luckily (depending on how you view it) most of it collected in my shoe and on the leg of my sweat pants. Nothing leaked onto the carpet. Not sure the old house slippers will recover from laundering and drying, but we shall see.

I do not know what happened. I will not blame the equipment as it probably was "user error." I must not have tightened the rotating valve securely or I accidentally loosened it with my other foot. There is a chance that I overfilled the bag, but none of the fittings popped loose. All in all, I made it 9 hours with the condom cath on, between the two bags.

Wetters,did that qualify as a "Wetapalooza?" :D

(looking forward to a drier day)
--John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:25 pm 

Ha! I would say yes....

John, I wish for a drier day for you as well. You will conquer the condom cath.

Wetters

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:16 pm 

So yes, the Urocare holder is very secure. On occasion I will even wear it out of the house with shorts. Most people can't tell that it's a Foley catheter bag......I get asked what I did to my knee......I just say it's sore and I need the support unless it's somebody who I'm friendly with and I'll tell them it's my catheter leg bag.
I don't have bowel incontinence and have never used a condom cath, but I always wear a diaper over the foley. I always have some mucous or discharge and on rare occasions just some small leaks around the catheter. Since I'm in diapers 24/7 and I'm comfortable in them and they are my preferred underwear to stay dry normally, I just wear them with the foley.....
Sleeping with the tubing takes some getting used to but I find after being a regular catheter user for 1 year (1 year today) I sleep better with the foley and rarely have issues with the tubing, but I don't have to worry about pulling the condom off either.
Best of luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 am 

PB&J,

Are you using the Urocare brand leg bag in the holder? I looked at the ads and it is unclear whether the holder will accommodate other leg bags. At least temporarily I am stuck with the Medline leg bags my urologist prescribed for me.

Of course, an option is to ask my urologist to prescribe a different leg bag - the Urocare.

I also am looking at the Netti leg bag holder that claims to accommodate almost all other leg bags. Someone here recommended it but I forget who that was.

ScottK,

I tried your trick of sliding a clothes hanger between the mattresses to hang the bed bag from. It worked great! :D

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:25 am 

Pride goeth before a fall. I thought I was doing pretty good today. Had the cath on for 10 1/2 hours without problems except for that mentioned below.

O.k., I obviously have mastered putting on the condom securely. My biggest fear was the condom coming off, so I paid close attention to the instructions and videos. Last night I really squeezed that adhesive gel around the penis to get a good seal. Now, I have different problem:

HOW DO I GET THE DAMNED THING OFF? :oops:

Actually, I eventually got it off, but it took me more than 10 minutes. :( I wrapped hot washcloths around it hoping to soften the adhesive, but no luck. I used lots of soap and water, trying to peel it back a millimeter at a time. Very limited and painful success. I even cut off the end of the catheter and cut it back up to where the adhesive was to get at it from the other end. Same results. After reapplying soap at both ends I very slowly was able to peel the condom off piece by small piece. I don't think you guys are having this problem or you would have mentioned it.

What am I doing wrong and what do you guys do?

(I'm going to skip the condom cath tonight to give me time to get suggestions from you guys)

--John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next