www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:18 pm 

I can't offer much support on straight cathing, but can offer support and insight about foleys......I haven't had any luck with hydrophilic coatings or latex anything catheters.....I do not have a known latex allergy or even a sensitivity but I cannot do latex foley's. Silicone only for me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:33 am 

PB&J, any idea why the hydrophilic coatings did not work for you?

--John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:47 am 

Juts a small point but the coatings on Foley catheters, designed to last weeks to months are rather different from the coatings on Intermittent Catheters designed for single use.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:11 pm 

Wheels, good point!

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:17 am 

Well, it happened again. I was down to my last sample catheter from my urologists office and did not check to see which brand it was. I used it only to find discomfort and some bleeding. :( It turned out to be the same one that previously had caused me discomfort and bleeding.

The catheter appears to have very large eyelets that are sharp. Definitely not fire-polished. Not a name brand - probably a cheap catheter. I think the sharp edges of the large eyelets scratch against the urethral lining.

I'm going to call my urologist's nurse and recommend that they trash any remaining ones they have on hand.

Boy, this experimentation thing can be painful!

New samples just arrived from my medical supply company. Good brands. Hydrophilic coated with a coudé tip. That seems to work ok.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:57 am 

I hope these work for you. Catheters that injure their users are the pits. Too often, 'live and learn,' makes us 'sadder but wiser,' too. But, because manufacturers are continually changing their products, experimentation must become endless for us. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:54 pm 

I think the trick is being taught how do catheterise properly by someone who knows. It isn't something to try on your own. Either a doctor or nurse or a continence advisor whould be competent to teach this. No one should 'have a go' without a lesson.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:00 am 

I am pleased to report that all is well. The self-catheterization is becoming routine and I am feeling very little discomfort. As I no longer am experiencing discomfort with the procedure I no longer dread each time I have to repeat it. Perhaps both the mind and body needed some time to adjust to what is going on. Nonetheless, my hat is off to those of you who need to catheterize 4 - 6 times a day!

In another posting I mentioned that my post-void retention seems to be decreasing. Of course, it is too early to say what is happening. Guys and gals, do your post-void retention levels seem to be fairly constant or do you see a lot of variation?

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:13 pm 

Glad things are going well, John.

My impression is the the amount retained after a normal void varies quite a bit. From time to time I void normally, measuring the volume, and then measure what's left by catheterising. My residual varies between 200 and 500 mls.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:44 am 

Wheels, that is a fair amount of variation.

--John