www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pulling my hair out!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:17 pm 

No, not that hair... I am just really frustrated.
I purchased some condoms from the medical supply store and they just blew off the second I urinated... I was glad I was wearing a diaper to back it up.

Not to be discouraged, because I am tying to give me man parts cooling time to assist in sperm motility to help in getting pregnant, I ordered a four pack of gee-whiz condom catheters in the size that I measured. When they came, despite making sure I had no oils on the penis, the first catheter refused to stick. I don't know if I should have ordered a size smaller, but it felt looseish. Over the course of a few hours the condom always seems to detach, but that was not what has been driving me crazy.

Whenever I empty the catheter's contents in the toilet, it seems the next utinations will back up, destroy whatever sealant that might have been on the catheter and soak my pants. In addition to that, the bag balloons and looks to be full of air, which I am guessing is why it is backing up.

What am I doing wrong!? Is there a different condom or bag I should be using? How do I adjust for shrinkage?

I swear, I cannot see how people swear by these unpredictable tools. I feel like every time I urinate I am going to have a disaster. Diapers may be bulkier but at least I know how to deal with them. I will be going back to them once we are pregnant, but for right now I need to deal with this, and I could really use some help.

Thank you all!

Post subject: Re: Pulling my hair out!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:15 am 

Tarlton, from the title of your posting "Pulling my hair out," I was afraid that more then just the condom catheter had blown off! :D

--John

Post subject: Re: Pulling my hair out!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:14 am 

Tarlton,

Maybe having using this system for quite a long time I can help you.

1. Getting the right sheath (condom cath)

It is really important to get the right fit for these. Companies like Coloplast are happy to send out sample packs which consist of several different sizes, a leg bag and a measuring tool to get you started. I used Manfred Sauer for quite a long time and they are excellent with quite a long patch of adhesive. I can only find a dealership in Canada not the USA but you can request samples from them.

2. The leg bag

To work, there has to be a clear run for the urine to flow because, as you know, backed up urine will blow the sheath off. So it is important when the sheath and leg bag have been fitted to check that the sheath output tube is not twisted, even a little bit, and that the leg bag valve is flat against the leg. I never got on with bags attached to the thigh as I could never get them to flow right (though I am permanently seated of course. I always used bags attached to the calf which makes the job of draining slightly easier as there is some help from gravity. Anyway, getting the valve on the leg bag flat is vital because a twisted valve can easily block with the expected wet outcome.

3. The Night Bag.

I found that the 2 litre night bags worked absolutely fine for me as long as they ae used with a bag stand that holds the valve in the proper place. Of course, for 'normal' people there is the problem of tossing and turning in the night trapping the tube. I have to use my hand to move my legs so I never had that problem but I think it is just a matter of waking enough so as to check the tubes.

Let me know is that helps or ask any other questions that occur to you.