www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:49 pm 

Exactly 12 months ago I was fitted with a urethral Foley catheter which I use in conjunction with a valve and a leg bag. After each catheter change I got sick so the urologist said take antibiotics for 3 days before each change. Great it did the trick and I had about 6 months last summer with no infections I thought I had cracked it. Then on Christmas morning disaster. I was rushed to hospital very poorly. Two weeks of antibiotics did nothing so am now 4 weeks into a 6 week course.
I have a cyst in both left and right testicles. I have a very infected prostate. I have a bladder infection. I bypass a horrid brown liquid from where the catheter goes in every time I go to the toilet for a number 2 and any ejaculation is the same brown horrible liquid. I have been poorly every 2 weeks since Christmas Day even while on antibiotics.
It looks like the whole of my genitals are full of infection.
2 weeks today I am at the hospital when a suprapubic will be discussed.
What a mess I am in.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:12 pm 

4wheeldave, I'm sorry that you're doing poorly - I hope you recover soon, and that the doctors can find a better solution for you.

Wetters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:20 pm 

I really hope a suprapubic will be a smooth ride for you and solve the problems of infection. It sounds like your nether regions just need a bloomin' break so that they can catch up and heal. Hopefully this will be the golden ticket!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:34 pm 

Add my prayers to the lists of those wishing for your recovery and that the supra might fix the infection risks for the future

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:51 pm 

4wheeldave

Wow I feel so bad for you I hope things turn around soon.
I am surprised when you started seeing brown liquid your you did not call our doctor ot go to the ER.
I also take antibiotic for three days but after I change catheters.
I am 5yrs with a Foley catheter so far so good no UTI's for the last 4yrs but I know it can happen to me at any time.
I see my urologist every six months for a checkup as I put my own catheter in. Each change I do a home test for infections by wetting a test strips which changes colors if there is an infection present and so far it been clean for 4yrs.
This test is always preformed every time I see my doctor. Urine is sent to a lab for analysis. I also have blood work basically I get a full look over.

You are thinking about a suprapubic catheter go for it if you don’t like it the good part is it is reversible by just leaving the catheter out and you can go right back to a Foley if you want.

I do not have a suprapubic catheter I have a urethral catheter but if I needed it I would look into it. remember keeping the bladder dry may save our kidneys.

Hope all the best for you.

Lyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:29 am 

Thanks guys. I have been in contact with the doctor a lot for advice and stuff. This brown reddish stuff is probably from the infected prostate which Is being pressed on when I have a number 2. I have had 2 ultrasounds on my goolies which show up a cyst in both sides.
It's been 2 weeks now since I was last poorly and I feel ok. Just started my last but one box of antibiotics so two weeks today I will have completed the six week course.
I think a supra is the only way to go.

Thanks again.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:29 am 

Ouch, that sounds terribly unpleasant. I hope the suprapubic catheter gives you the chance to heal. It sounds like it should, since all the infected areas will be bypassed.

It was a slightly different situation (post surgery), but I had a suprapubic catheter placed to allow the area to heal since a foley going through areas with infection-prone incisions and grafts would have invited more problems.

The suprapubic catheter was relatively trouble free and not painful, though I was advised to increase water intake to prevent bladder infections.

Best wishes, Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:08 pm 

Thanks Ender I do drink loads so am used to that. The only trouble is if we do decide to go supra it could take up to 6 months before I can have it done because that's how long you have to wait in the UK for most operations. Hopefully the urologist might mark me down as urgent so could be sooner.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:31 pm 

Isn't it supposed to be 18 weeks? Then again they never hit those targets!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:07 pm 

One can only hope but even 18 weeks sounds at least 10 to long but we will see.

Thanks

4wheeldave.