Switch to full style
Post a reply

Calling all suprapubic catheter users.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:54 am

Over Christmas I was poorly as you can see in my previous post. Four days after finishing the antibiotics I am poorly again. Have just got back from the hospital and am now going to be on co amoxiclav for six weeks would you belive. I asked him about a suprapubic catheter and he thinks this might be the way to go. I would like to hear from anyone with a suprapubic catheter your thoughts experience problems anything at all good or bad.
I just can't cope much longer with infections.

Thanks

4wheeldave.

Re: Calling all suprapubic catheter users.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:23 am

I have used a supra-pubic for quite a while and they work well, don't get infected and are easier to maintain that the usual catheters. They are just as easy to change - my wife and were taught to do it and we found no problems changing.

The downside for me was that my bladder was a bit more powerful than was idea so I got leaks around the entry point and, at time, leaks from the p*nis as well. This led me to give it up and empty by hand - pressing over the abdomen - and using sheaths at night.

For the last 18 months to 2 years, my bladder, despite having reasonable pressure refuses to empty on its own so I have been self-catheterising 4 times a day or so and been dry at night (quite a bonus).

Please feel free to ask me anything else I haven't answered but I would certainly recommend a supra-pubic over a normal catheter.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:15 am

Thanks for that. I certainly like the bit about don't get infected.

4wheeldave.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 pm

4wheeldave wrote:Thanks for that. I certainly like the bit about don't get infected.

4wheeldave.

That might be the best bit I think. I got an infection earlier this year using intermittent caths so those are no guarantee of being infection free!

Just let me know if you need any more information

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:12 pm

There is a surgery called mitrofanoff that might be worth considering too. Bigger surgery but you self catheterised through the hole and it means no leaks through the urethra.

In not sure how I feel about suprapubic catheters. I'm not sure my bladder would get the memo and might leak out of the urethra still!

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:54 am

Wow tangerine that was a new one on me. I immediately have looked it up and your right but I must say I don't really fancy it. It all seems a bit drastic but I do suppose it would certainly be less infections. I honestly think I would go back to diapers and normal self cathing before I would go for it.
Really though thanks for the post you have certainly made me aware of something I did not know existed and I am sure I am not the only one.

4wheeldave.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:06 pm

i actually did a little bit more research after posting thatand honestly it did put me off. It is much more major surgery than i thought!at least with a suprapubic I can change my mind and have it out +i could always have mitrofanoffat a later date. I really hope it gets you less infections. I read your other thread after this one.
Post a reply