www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:54 am 

Over Christmas I was poorly as you can see in my previous post. Four days after finishing the antibiotics I am poorly again. Have just got back from the hospital and am now going to be on co amoxiclav for six weeks would you belive. I asked him about a suprapubic catheter and he thinks this might be the way to go. I would like to hear from anyone with a suprapubic catheter your thoughts experience problems anything at all good or bad.
I just can't cope much longer with infections.

Thanks

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:23 am 

I have used a supra-pubic for quite a while and they work well, don't get infected and are easier to maintain that the usual catheters. They are just as easy to change - my wife and were taught to do it and we found no problems changing.

The downside for me was that my bladder was a bit more powerful than was idea so I got leaks around the entry point and, at time, leaks from the p*nis as well. This led me to give it up and empty by hand - pressing over the abdomen - and using sheaths at night.

For the last 18 months to 2 years, my bladder, despite having reasonable pressure refuses to empty on its own so I have been self-catheterising 4 times a day or so and been dry at night (quite a bonus).

Please feel free to ask me anything else I haven't answered but I would certainly recommend a supra-pubic over a normal catheter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:15 am 

Thanks for that. I certainly like the bit about don't get infected.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 pm 

4wheeldave wrote:
Thanks for that. I certainly like the bit about don't get infected.

4wheeldave.

That might be the best bit I think. I got an infection earlier this year using intermittent caths so those are no guarantee of being infection free!

Just let me know if you need any more information

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:12 pm 

There is a surgery called mitrofanoff that might be worth considering too. Bigger surgery but you self catheterised through the hole and it means no leaks through the urethra.

In not sure how I feel about suprapubic catheters. I'm not sure my bladder would get the memo and might leak out of the urethra still!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:54 am 

Wow tangerine that was a new one on me. I immediately have looked it up and your right but I must say I don't really fancy it. It all seems a bit drastic but I do suppose it would certainly be less infections. I honestly think I would go back to diapers and normal self cathing before I would go for it.
Really though thanks for the post you have certainly made me aware of something I did not know existed and I am sure I am not the only one.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:06 pm 

i actually did a little bit more research after posting thatand honestly it did put me off. It is much more major surgery than i thought!at least with a suprapubic I can change my mind and have it out +i could always have mitrofanoffat a later date. I really hope it gets you less infections. I read your other thread after this one.