www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:43 pm 

Newbie here for this. Yes, that is the topic... What are other men using for hair removal when using a condom cath? I tried shaving and thought I did a pretty good job until I had to remove the condom catheter. And OUCH... Missed a few...
Do I just need to shave better or is there some sort of product I can use? Or just grin and bear it and it will take car of itself?
(More OUCH)... :lol:

Thanks...

Scott K

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:56 pm 

Scott, welcome to the forum. Good luck with the shaving thing. I tried the condom caths one time and only once. Very painful to remove because of the hair and I didn't like having to peel my penis out of the cath. Plus, I was too worried about the tubing coming loose or showing through my pants.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:21 pm 

Thank you for the welcome, but I have to disappoint you... Been here at ISC for a bit. What I am new to was condom catheters.
And another question, anyone have any idea what is used as glue in these?

ScottK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:40 pm 
Admin

SUPER GLUE !!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:52 pm 
Admin

LOL Schoppy... it may seem like it, but it is definitely strong, especially on the Silicone types! As far as hair removal, shaving is the only method that will be safe, hair removal cream down there is OUT of the question! I stay on top of things anywhere the cath touches, weekly if not more often, depending on what I am using for protection. All you can do is go over everything multiple times, and be sure not to miss any! :shock: As far as removal, start at the base, and stretch it outward while lifting up the shaft, it seems to detatch much easier that way, for me anyhow. Once you get it all worked out, they are a great system for men. 8) Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:51 am 

[quote="schoppy"]SUPER GLUE !!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I don't think super glue is this aggressive :lol:

But seriously, I am just starting out with these and I am on a budget. The samples I received from Coveen/Coloplast seem to be made of silicone. I should look them up to be sure. I see no reason not to rinse these out and re-use them. But I would need glue.

I guess I should have made myself clear what I was looking for in the other post.

ScottK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:20 am 

Well I used to find shaving worked pretty well though, to be fair, as I can't feel the area concerned I can't vouch for it working perfectly. I think shaving it likely to be the best option though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:54 pm 

Ok.. I found this...

http://www.urocare.com/EN/Products/500403EN.php

Possible applications for Uro-Bond® adhesives might include, but are not limited to: adhering dressings, prosthetics and metal or plastic devices to the body. Securing male external urinary catheters, adhering colostomy, ileostomy and tracheostomy devices, attaching electrodes to the skin for patient monitoring, affixing surgical dressings and pads to the skin and adhering maxillo-facial prosthetic devices.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Or am I working this too hard... Which is entirely possible.
And sorry for the BIG picture....

ScottK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:16 pm 
Admin

I would not re-use them if I could avoid it, just looking at getting a UTI or skin infection. They are made to be a 1 time use item, never heard anyone re-using them. Talk to your GP or Continence nurse, but I would avoid doing it. Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:49 pm 

Quote:
I would not re-use them if I could avoid it, just looking at getting a UTI or skin infection. They are made to be a 1 time use item, never heard anyone re-using them. Talk to your GP or Continence nurse, but I would avoid doing it. Puffy

I understand that. And I will ask my GP/Urologist/Nurse Practioner about this. Health is nothing for me to be cheap with.

ScottK