www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:09 pm 

Having foley problem,. 2 things which may well be from same problem

1) wake up from nap/sleep with sharp stinging pain. Check bag and it's not flowing. The only way it flows is if the tube is held up in the middle so that a sort of vacuum affect happens with urine flowing in to bag and pulling urine up from catheter. No flow without doing this and once it's pulled any up iypt stops so you have to put it back down to empty it and repeat It flows very slowly when I do this so bladder usually fills to agony point. Either spontaneously stops after hours or catheter change happens.

2) it is emptying in to the brag but my bladder is also painfully full. It's like it can't keep up. Pushing down to pee speeds it up a little but not much. Even 400ml in 30 mins left bladder painfully full. They won't do anything about this because it is flowing at an ok ish rate.

Help? Not been given proper answers,

Am bedbound and can't sit up at no so can't give gravity a hand p except for raising my bed in air.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:21 pm 

Try irrigating the catheter with a syringe full of sterile water......some catheters have a sampling port on the tubing going to the drainage bag, you could hook yoipurmsyringe into this and "back flush" the catheter.....OR replace the foley with a new one as your current one may be encrusted and causing it not to drain......good luck, I hope you get relief soon.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:26 pm 

I don't use catheters and hopefully some of the other members can fill in the blanks for you. Not being an expert, what it sounds like to me is the hole at the end of the catheter is getting clogged. I'll try to find the video but I watching a video of the inside of a bladder with a regular Foley in it and it was showing how part of the bladder lining was being sucked into the holes on the Foley. It looked like the suction pulled in tissue in to the point it looked like a polyp on the bladder wall. The video was for a brand called duvet or something like that. Their catheters had two balloons to keep the hole away from the bladder wall.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 pm 

get some medial advice, i would. In the UK the district nurses would be the people to ask but I have no idea who you would ask weher you are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 pm 

I currently have 2) happening so it's probably not blocked?

District nurse said no to bladder wash our as it can irritate them and it's not blocked if it's draining. It hurts so much though! Not the distended bladder sort of agony but still very painful

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:35 pm 

Found it. Go to YouTube and find a video called the Duette Difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:51 pm 

There's this really horrible pain I can't describe which I have only experienced since having a foley. It's like a really strong pulling downwards along with sharp pain. It's horrible.

I fought so hard to get this catheter as I thought it would help but it's been a nightmare - yet I can't go back to living without it.

If I wasn't too ill, I'd attempt a trip to hospital. Unfortunately it would be too much and possibly make me relapse.

I think my bladder is going to spasm and bypass soon. When that happened yesterday It was excruciating when the urine touched my urethra. I supposedly don't have a uti....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:03 pm 

Well I suppose the only thing is to see if your GP can come and have a chat and see what he can suggest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:13 pm 

It spasmed and all came out around catheter - quite a lot. It stung A LOT. whole body shaking and weak with the force of it.

I'm not sure what gp could suggest as he knows very little about catheters (initially refused this one!). Maybe continence service could come out or one of his colleagues though. It needs to be soon because this can't continue. It needs to empty properly.

I also can't make calls. I will try and get Carers to tomorrow. Have also run out of catheters( Because it needed changing several weeks in row and I've not done a delivery before) so if I need it changed I will need to go to hospital because unbelievably, district nurses don't have access to any!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:51 pm 

Tangerine

I do use a Foley catheter and have for over four years 24/7.

When a Foley becomes plugged there is only two ways to get it working again one irrigate or two replace it but make shore you have the OK from your health provider.

Looking at the catheter dose it shows any place it may have been kinked?
Is so straighten it out.

One other problem it could be is the balloon that keeps it in place may not be fully inflated letting the catheter slide down into the neck of the bladder thus plugging of the drainage ports.
If this would happen replace the catheter.

One last problem to look for is the flutter valve in the drainage bag became twisted blocking of the flow.
This can happen on most leg bags like Bard Rush and so on. The valve is nothing but two pieces of plastic film like the bag is made of and it can become twisted and very hard to get it straighten out remedy replace the bag.

You could disconnect the bag from the catheter and see if things are flowing but do it is a sterile manner. You should use alcohol wipes to clean the connection sterile gloves and be super careful.
If you have extra bags just change it.

I am using a new type of Foley catheter called Duette it has two balloons on it. This catheter is the two years I’ve been using it it is the most comfortable trouble free Foley catheter I ever used.
Problem they are not available in the UK yet.

Look at your leg bag is the urine cloudy or off color?
Look in the tubing is there floaters in it?
Is urine leaking around the catheter?
Looking again at the bag examine the bag for blood clots pieces of tissue and so on.
Funny if you do find any of this it is somewhat normal when using a Foley but look anyhow.

Last smell the urine is it smell fowl is so it could be an infection.

I change my own catheter and bags I’ve been thought how and what to look for taking care if a Foley catheter is not that hard but one it needs tender care.

If it persists go to your ER having a catheter that is plugged up can get serious.

Lyle