www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:07 pm 

tangerine wrote:
The problem is, I'm bedbound and can't sit up so can't travel to the hospital and urology discharged me!

I might see if my gp can get advise about it from elsewhere.

If you need to get to hospital the GP can easily get an ambulance to do it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:56 pm 

I've not left my room in 8.5 months and because I can't sit up, I can't fit in the lift which would mean needing to be stretchered down 4 flights of stairs. I don't think I'm well enough yet. It would likely cause relapse and I can't risk it. It a frustrating they won't do a home visit or even a phone consult.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:52 pm 

Just popping by to say things have settled :) I do sometimes Grace my bladder fill and then spasm or the sphincter opens and I leak a fair bit - but this is ok compared to it stopping working. No doubt it will happen again but I'm enjoying the break and hopefully it will last! Catheter was definitely the right decision for me. My only concern us long term control as I was hoping not to need it so long term.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:31 pm 

Are you still using the foleys?? And if so, are you using diapers along with them??? I'm still using both. I always have a diaper on over the foley, I feel like it helps keep everything "in place"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:15 pm 

I'm only using full sized pads/diapers when stuff is really posting up. The rest of the time I move between a really small pad for drips to one of the bigger ones you are meant to UAE net pants for (I just wear tight boxers). Yes still a Foley.

Are you having enough leakage to need the diapers and/or bowel stuff or is it literally just to keep it in place?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:38 am 

Without the foley I have enough leakage that I need at least a pad/pull-up combination. I wear this set up to work. I can't go to work with the foley as my job includes some serious physical labor. So I only use diapers and foleys at home when I am off. I pretty much always have a diaper on when I am home. With the foley in I just wear a diaper over it, for the longest time I was getting a lot of mucous, small leaks, and discharge so I liked having a diaper over it. I haven't seen as much of that lately. But I usually still have the diaper anyway, furthermore it does help me feel like everything is in place and holds the catheter and everything from moving around.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:03 am 

tangerine wrote:
It spasmed and all came out around catheter - quite a lot. It stung A LOT. whole body shaking and weak with the force of it.

I'm not sure what gp could suggest as he knows very little about catheters (initially refused this one!). Maybe continence service could come out or one of his colleagues though. It needs to be soon because this can't continue. It needs to empty properly.

I also can't make calls. I will try and get Carers to tomorrow. Have also run out of catheters( Because it needed changing several weeks in row and I've not done a delivery before) so if I need it changed I will need to go to hospital because unbelievably, district nurses don't have access to any!

I had the some problem with an indwelling cath, just too many spasms and I couldn't take the pain.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:53 am 

Did you switch back to pads? I'm doing ok now thankfully. It's helped me a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:21 am 

Update: I'm having this problem again. After bag changes is a big trigger. It just stops emptying for hours and I can end up by passing ... But last night it stopped working. Initially partially and now there hasn't been a drop in the bag in several hours yet ive wet through a smaller nappy style pad (attends slip active m8. I had a sample) and a bit in to a more absorbent one. If it still isn't working when I wake up then I will have to get a pa to call the district nurses and possibly have a catheter change. I guess it's possible it could be blocked but my guess is it's down to internal sphincter spasming and occluding the catheter. The difference between now and back when i started this thread is that now I have so little bladder capacity that I am spasming and wetting around the catheter very frequently. The other day trying to sleep whilst I had a problem was a nightmare because I woke up every 15-20 mins with pain in my bladder followed by a spasm and wetting. I'm about to try and sleep and hoping I will sleep through and not be woken up regularly by my bladder. At least now I have live In care so when this happened I was able to ah right an appropriate pad put on + have it changed late at night. Opted for tena slip ultima to hopefully see me through the night. I'd much prefer to wet in my sleep than be woken up by it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:35 am 

Sorry I missed this post, I went to a Duette style catheter and went up a size on it, This has stopped for the most part all the leakage. No issues on changing bags as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next