www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:02 pm 

Thanks. Am confused because as in example 2 (today and yesterday) the bag was filling up (just use night bag at mo) but my bladder was also filling up - like it couldn't keep up. Maybe it's partially blocked. They didn't check that. I am confused as to another source of problem.

Will keep all tips in mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:46 pm 

Tangerine

There are only a couple of things that can cause the problem you are having.

Does it work OK with the night bag connected?

Most night bags do not have a flutter in them they are always supposed to be below the bladder.
So if it does not work with a night bag then the problem has to lay with the catheter itself.
This would bring the problem either the catheter is plugged some way maybe from the draining eyelets or inside the catheter.

You are sure the balloon is full. I guessing you use a 5cc balloon filed with 10cc serial water. If it is not filled correctly or leaked out it could be letting the balloon to deflate it can let the catheter slide down into the neck of the bladder I mention this in my last post.

In my four years I only had one catheter plug up telling my doctor he upped the size catheter I use. I went from a 16f to an 18f and all is well.

What does your urine look like is it clear.

Lyle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:14 pm 

Urine goes from clear to luminous (b vitamins). Sometimes very dark overnight.amount of sediment is increasing. Finished antibiotics last week. I took a dip stick on Saturday which a was positive but nurse did one yesterday and if was negative, the urine smells like infection to me.

I always have a night bag connected so this problem relates to that.

I am wondering if the balloon keeps slipping down as you say. Reasons for thinking this are:
- the horrible sharp pulling pain I am getting in my urethra from time to time which is much worse if my bladder does a big spasm that causes urine to bypass.
- the fact it is still flowing continuously sometimes could mean that only one eye is obstructed?
- when the catheter was supposedly blocked and I had to have it changed, having it removed was agony of the screaming sort. As she removed the saline from the balloon I could feel it as massive jolts at the top of my urethra and as she pulled out was awful. It felt at the time as if it must have slipped down.

The balloon holds 10ml is all I know. Catheter is 12f.

It played up for a bit earlier but seems ok now apart from that horrible pulling and stinging urethral lain coming back from time to time.

Plan for tomorrow is to talk to my doctor. The district nurse may also be coming out. I will bring up the balloon issue and also discuss a bigger catheter.

They don't seem to understand thwt just because it is flowing there could still be a problem. 900ml in Catheter bag in 2.5 hours sounds great..but if I also then have a spasm thwt soaks through a large pad (tena flex super quickly stuffed in pants), my clothing and all over the bed pad - well clearly th is a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:13 am 

Really sorry to hear about your problems. I have had a 12f inserted since February (changed every 8 weeks) it flows fine. I wonder if you would be better with a larger size mabe a 16f would increase the flow and not block as easy. Mine only blocked once after the first insertion but have been fine since apart from infection every time it's changed.
Now 3 days before it is changed I have antibiotics and that has done the trick and stayed infection free when I had it changed 3 weeks ago.
You really must insist they help you and get this right I have had six months with a catheter and now I have stopped the infections am very happy with it.
I use a flip flo valve and also at times a leg bag and if If I can't walk and am in bed a large capacity night bag. I like being in control with the valve.

Hope you get it sorted try and stick with it until you do.

Regards.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:15 am 

Tangerine

Having a blocked catheter can be painful and if it is blocked I agree with 4wheeldave put in a larger catheter a 16f is normal for an adult I use an 18f.

You also mention you have sores in the urethra this is something your doctor should look at. Small note larger catheters can be more comfortable small one move around causing sores.
Here again I do not like giving medical info this should be up to your doctor.
What do you liberate the catheter with I use Neosporin on the catheter and tip of the penis this really helps. If you are using something like Surgilube or KY Jelly this is a water base lubricant it doesn’t last long so put it on several times a day doctor permitting.

Can you tell if the sore in your urethra is up high or low, I am still wondering if the balloon is underinflated or the base of the bladder where the balloon sits is enlarged and letting the catheter slip down blocking the flow?

I hope you are seeing your doctor today and get this sorted out.

One other thing I get it this problem comes when you use the night bag?
If so do you have a new one on hand?
If not do you have any other bag you can connect to see if the problem goes away?

I have to get going I have four days of infusions at the hospital every three weeks I receive Comma Globulin or IVIg.

Hope all comes out OK for you
Lyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:04 am 

I always use the night bag. The new one seems better than the old one but I have still experienced this problem.

The soreness is high up but also as it enters my body. Hadn't considered them being actual sores but this makes sense. I have not heard of using lube after insertion. I am a transgender man and have what would be considered a female urethral set up. Does this still apply?

I think you might be right about the balloon falling down. It certainly fits with the pain on removal.

My catheter is one of the new type of latex ones as I am allergic to silicone so this catheter may also be causing so,e of the discomfort I think.

About to try calling continence nurse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:16 pm 

Tangerine

I just got home from the hospital.

I am way out of my league with you having what I guessing was an operation.
I don’t know how much or what they may have done to your bladder.

I am totally guessing there is a problem with the catheter and bladder. Once the catheter is inserted and in place it is filled then tugged on to seat it in the floor of the bladder this should seal it so there is no leakage.

Braking the system down you have the catheter part one then you have the bag part two.
If you changed bags and the problem is still there then it has to be the fault of part one the catheter. This leaves it is plugged somewhere.

I am only guessing from here you need to see a professional.

Whether to lubricate or not should be up to your doctor. There are things to consider one you are using a rubber catheter and rubber and petroleum products do not mix rubber brakes down as do some silicones.

Please see your health professional for help using a Foley catheter should not cause a lot of pain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:10 pm 

continence nurse thinks problem is that I am always flat. Its hard for it all to flow out. Is looking in to it and agrees I need some sort of action plan for the acute episodes. I can't sit up and never leave bed.

Regarding pain in urethra the district nurses will come out.

I haven't had any genital/urology surgery except botox injections 18 months ago. All structurally 'female'.

I just hope we can work something out so this stops being so painful! Only other thing I can think of is suprapubic and then if it doesn't empty I can try peeing normally at least.

Thaanks again

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 pm 

One shouldn’t have pain from a Foley if it is working correctly.
A Suprapubic Catheter is one answer that might work.

When you had the continence nurse there did they change your catheter?
If not “why”?
Catheters are cheap most rubber catheters cost around two dollars even the most expensive catheter I used so far is the Duette and it is only twenty dollars.

I change my own catheters I get my supplies every three months so I have extra supplies on hand for that just in case.

Please keep us informed and what they do for you.

Lyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 pm 

Hi, Tangerine,

Being "structurally 'female'" just might be the problem. I'm a woman (early 60s and not transgender), and I needed(?) a Foley catheter twice in my lifetime, administered both times in a hospital setting. In both instances the pain was beyond extreme. I've had a lot of medical intervention since age 40, including a couple of serious medical events in the last 3 years, so I have a baseline by which to measure pain intensity. I'm usually a very docile and "patient" patient, yet I screamed in agony at hospital staff to remove the horrid thing. To no avail, of course, and they didn't provide anything to mask the pain.

Wetters

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next