www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:10 am 

Did you have issues with it not going in to the bay as well? Duette is silicone if I remember correctly so I can't have it. Also not sure it's available in UK. Not on my nhs supplier list anyway. I was advised against going up a size but can't remember why. The bypassing is a problem but is only happening when the bladder isn't emptying in to the drainage bag. In which case not bypassing might actually be worse since my bladder would just continue filling up until I had help. At least this way it empties itself after 150ml-250ml.

Not sure how I ever managed with pads. Tena slip ultima so the most absorbent Tena nappy style pad... Yet it came out the side on the seconr small wetting. Have put some fleece wipes one either side now.

Nurse has been called as not a drip in bag over might so think I have a blockage. Going to try to sleep now. Likely I will be woken up by my bladder the nurse or both.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:03 am 

Turns out this time it really was a blockage. Thankfully managed with a bladder wash out done using a large syringe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:05 am 

The one I use are silicone, I don't know if they are made of anything but that. I myself have been tiring to stay away from latex. I haven't had any issues with them getting plugged with the Duette catheter. If you are getting plug troubles I would ask again why you cant go larger. When you change anything, bed bag, catheter, or drain the bed bag, make sure they have all the air out of the bag. I roll the bed bag in a ball and keep it that way till your tied back into your catheter, that way Im getting as much of the air out as possible. This was a big issue at night for me till I started doing this. At night our bodies are suppose to slow on urine output but mine doesn't do that, if anything it increases. I wished I could be of more help to you but, I don't know what the U.K. has for medical devices and availabilities of them . I will look into and see what I can find out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:17 am 

Thanks. I use latex due to a silicone allergy.

This is the first time it has ever blocked with sediment. At first when I had issues it was my bladder neck spasming and cutting off the eyelets that was the problem. If it happens again or I keep having issues then I will mention larger though they gave a reason not to before which I have forgotten. I only ever use a night bag so when it goes on it has no air as just out of the pack. Then it stays on for 5-6 days. I have no idea why just putting a new bag on can cause that problem.

There was a lot of sediment confusing out last night so I guess there must have been a fair but flushed. I'm sore today but it is emptying properly and caught up with itself overnight. I think my urine production used to slow down at night but doesn't anymore. Then again I have to drink a lot before sleep to help prevent me from becoming dehydrated overnight. I drink 4-5l a day as it doesn't take much for me to feel dehydrated.

I am coming off clonazepam so that could be causing problems with the muscles spasming too. I know I keep twitching the last few days at least

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:17 pm 

Another blockage today. Thankfully the nurses came out quite quickly. I guess I waited about 2.5 hours. I asked them to change it this time as it is due next week anyway. Wish I'd have insisted on that 9 days ago when it last blocked!!! These are my first actual blockages. All the other times in this thread were my internal sphincter blocking the eyelets rather than the catheter itself becoming blocked. I have signs of an infection. Smelly urine, extra sediment (hence the blockage), soreness in bladder and urethra, feeling unwell - but in this area they won't give antibiotics unless you have a fever and my body never responds with one. I guess I will try and keep fluids up + drink Chamomile tea and d mannose which binds to ecoli (if it is even that!). I take cranberry tablets anyway.

It concerns me that the nurses were not so sterile today. She did not wash her hands before putting on the sterile gloves after coming in to my property. She only cleaned around my urethra after I asked if she was going to, and she initially put the catheter down on my opened out wet pad, then wiped it with a sterile bit of gauze which may have been wet. They washed their hands afterwards though. They were also a bit rude at first just walking in and staring at me not saying hello until I had said it several times. Perhaps they were confused as I am a transgender man I don't know. There was no surprise about my genital configuration and I could tell by the discussion about catheter length ("is that the male length catheter?" "yes why, do you prefer the shorter one?" - if they had thought I had a penis then a shorter catheter would have been an unsafe suggestion.

Still I thanked them for changing it promptly on Sunday at midnight and am now just waiting for my bladder, bowels and general spasms to calm down a bit. I've put a larger (but not that absorbant) pad on just in case - which I don't usually need unless my catheter is playing up. I'm shattered after hours of personal care. Bedpan, clothes back on, soak clothes and bed, change bed, change pad, change tshirt, catheter change, change pad, clothes back on, bedding on etc etc.

The small mercy in this is that now I won't have to have my catheter changed on Friday because it's already done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 am 

This problem has returned and I'm unimpressed! My last catheter lasted 5 days and at one point I think I had 7 blockages in 3 weeks with 3 or 4 catheter Changes. I had a flare like this a while back but started taking d mannose and it helped. We are going to try a bigger catheter going from 12ch to arch but they've also ordered open ended catheter. This sounds like a good idea but im pretty sure they are silicone which I am allergic to. I will get my PA to bring them in tomorrow to check but we've already called the nurses and they haven't called back. Meanwhile I have no other catheters so will be a bit stuck if it blocks again. Sometimes we can unblock it with a syringe and bladder wash out liquid but my gp keeps refusing the prescription for it. Frustrating because on 2 occasions I managed to get a PA to unlock it this way and didn't need to call the nurses, but we can't do that if I have no wash out. The nurses don't often carry them either so Last time the nurse ended up trying with saline, and then filtered water. I guess PA and I could try with filtered water but I don't know how good that is regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:42 am 
I'm new to this thread so please excuse me for not reading all of the past 6 pages of these posts in their entirety. The poster "tangerine" has mentioned being allergic to silicone catheters. I was under the impression more people were allergic to the latex ones as opposed to the silicone. Does anyone know which ones are more widely used and the percentages? I'm just curious having gone to the Duette silicone from the Bard latex.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:18 pm 

I thought people were more likely to be allergic to latex as well, belly bag. I know anytime I have been cathed with a latex catheter it causes me a lot of irritation, pain, and makes it difficult to get around. The 100% silicone Bard lubri-sil I.C. foleys I regularly use very rarely, if ever cause me any pain. In fact most of the time when I have the silicone foleys in, I don't even realize it's in. I can't use latex foleys anymore, though I don't know that you'd call it an allergy, I definitely have a hypersensitivity to it. But to each their own.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm 

Yes latex allergy is much more common. Silicone is meant to be hypoallergenic. I have no idea how severely Id react but my urethra is not the are a Id like to test for that!

The open ended catheters they ordered were in fact silicone sadly. We finally established that apparently open ended catheters only exist in silicone. I am frustrated by this. At my last change I went up to 14ch from 12ch in the same old hard hydrogel latex catheter as usual. It has been rather painful if I am honest. No blockage but after my catheter bag change the evening I am finding myself experiencing bypassing in the form of my bladder filling up due to it not eemptying in to the bag fast enough, and then automatically emptying. Not ideal. Hopefully not a sign it is blocking again. There must be another catheter I could try, because this is ridiculous.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6