www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dealing with Caths
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:06 am 

Because I've had several urologists who recommended external catheters, I've tried them several times. My experience has been uniformly bad: catastrophic pant-soaking, puddle-making leaks at really bad times and irritation to the skin on my penis that was worse than any diaper rash that I've ever had. I also prefer the "feel" of diapers to wearing an external catheter with a leg bag.

However, as you will have noted from other people's comments, some people have good luck with external catheters and prefer them to diapers. Your best bet is probably to try a few brands of external catheters and see for yourself which you prefer. A word of advice: until you're confident that you have the proper fit and that things are working reliably, try the external catheters at home or in places where a major leak would be not too embarrassing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:41 am 

The thing with sheaths (external catheters) is that one has to first of all get the right size and the right brand.

The right size size seems a bit obvious but it make a lot of difference. Too tight and the skin with be damaged underneath but too loose and there is a real risk of detachment - something that is undesirable. The usual big makes like Coloplast offer a reasonable range of sizes but a company like Manfred Sauer (look them up on the Internet for your country) offer a wider range of sizes - in 2 mm intervals and that can make all the difference. Trying these things out take a while but getting right is very worthwhile.

Obviously different manufacturers use different adhesives and what suits one person may not suit another. I used one make, once, in hospital and stripped the skin from parts of my.... equipment. On the other hand, I have not used that make again and have had no further problems. The outcome is that one has to ask around for samples - it shouldn't be hard to get these - and try them out on days one is at home some any problems are only annoyances and not embarrassments.

Finally, strapping. The bag must be held firmly on the leg and not pull on the tube and this will cause a potential leak. I had a very successful time with a bag holder from Coloplast which was, in effect a long stretchy stocking that went onto the leg and than folded over the bag to hold it on. This is, in my opinion, much better than the straps that tend to be supplied with the bags. However it is all about practice and samples can be had of various products to try out and I recommend doing just that.

Night time, by the way, is a good time to use the sheath with a 2 litre bag. There's no leas with side sleeping and not smell or leaks. The only thing one has to do is to manage not to get wrapped up in the tube. It's about as hard as not falling out of bed though might take a night or two to get used to it. (If you normally fall out of bed at night, ignore this paragraph!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:14 pm 
Admin

I agree wheels, the stocking/sock to hold the bag in is the only way to go, those straps can get more then irritating under any weight, even with regular emptying of the bag, I have 2 from Urocare that I really like, but not cheap, had them for 4-5 years, not used a lot, but holding up well to wash&wear,

http://www.urocare.com/EN/Products/FrbcLgBgHldrsEN.php :) Puffy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:08 am 

Except when I'm under anesthesia or other heavy sedation, I toss and turn in my sleep so much that an external catheter (sheath) with a hose attached to a two liter bag hanging from the side of the bed would never work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:53 am 
I began using diapers at night four years ago because of an enlarged prostate with attendant frequency of urination issues. Also wasn't able to void completely exacerbating the problem. Flomax solved the voiding issue, but frequent urges to go coupled with my new inability to hold it in put me in pads during the day and diapers at night. One day I called Coloplast (US) and was connected to a young woman who intuited what my issues were. Honestly, she was terrific and still takes my calls maintaining once a relationship is made with Coloplast, it's forever, unless you choose otherwise.

Anyhow, I ended up using Coloplast's OPTIMA condom catheter which has proven to be just right. I also found a catheter holder called CATHEZE which has been the best thing since sliced bread. It holds the leg bag up with no chance of it slipping down my leg (gotta horror story about that!). Bottom line is that my Coloplast service rep worked with me from the start, from helping me size the right condom catheter to some issues easily solved downstream. Highly recommend using that service.

I've found that the sport length in the OPTIMA works best for me (1\2 the sheath length if the regular CC). And taking off the sport length is relatively easy. Since I've shaved all around my penis and, even it's underneath, no hair pulling when removing. Found the best way to get it off without being in the shower is to grasp the CC from beneath the head of my penis and gently pull it up. Happy to field any other questions.

JAYTEE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:58 am 

I am in the middle of going from diapers (after 40 years) to the condom cath's. Still trying to find a bag that works although the Simplicity one works during the day. Been wearing it inside a pull up so far though (as recommended for extra security while leaning the ins and outs) and did have to change the cath at work. I checked it before I left and thought I could get through the shift but that didn't work out. Caught it before an leakage though.
I also had to go to a condom with an extra long adhesive area. I tried the condom caths years ago but all they had then was the standard latex ones and not the new silicone ones. That made all the difference for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:26 pm 

deen_ad

Before my bladder went in to retention I use to use external catheters and had great success with them.
When I was working I worked in a big machine shop I was a master millwright machinist repairing large machinery some bigger than a house.
Working in a shop there was no way I could get away wearing pads and such so the condom catheter kept me working for some 30yrs and easily concealed under clothing.

The catheter I used was Mentor Long Seal this sounds like what you are using.
If you are having trouble keeping it on you might want to try a glue used to hold Urostomy or Colostomies on. This can be obtain at your medical supply store.

Before putting the catheter on skin prep should be used this is everything. There are pre wipes one should use this makes everything stick better.

Another thing that might help is use a stretchy medical tape around the catheter put the tape just behind the gland on the penis.
As for bags there are so many on the market and most work very well. One bag I do not like is the Hollister bag it gets pinholes in the seams and leak. This is about the only bag I would not use.

You need to fine where you want the bag to be first then find one that will work there. I always like the bag down at my ankle running the tubing up to the catheter.
The bag I like is Colopast 1500ml bag I use Bard leg bag straps. This is a fairly large bag that wraps around the leg. This bag doesn’t show under clothing it lays flat and my wife says she doesn’t hear it sloshing around. the Bard straps are wide padded and very comfortable.

Some people like the bag on their belly. There is a belly bag that is not supposed to be used with a condom catheter it a Foley catheter bag. But I read people are using them with a condom catheter.

Since my bladder stopped working I cannot go on my own this happened more than five years ago now I use a Foley catheter now but I still use the same bags I did with a condom catheter.
We just got home from Disney World we were there for two weeks and I did not have any problems at all. Nice traveling without taking bulky diapers the only supplies I took was extra bags I change it every week.

There is a lot more I am surprised someone has not jumped in on this post hope this gives you an inside to catheters and bags.

Lyle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:58 am 

Well the first trial with condom caths didn't go so good. Ended up with a UTI so I quit wearing them for a while. Just started back with them a couple days ago. And again the Simplicity [url](http://ppshealthcare.com/continence/simplicity)[/url] bag leaked but I was wearing a pull up so clothing stayed dry. The Simplicity bag is kind of like a belly bag but mad for use with the condom caths. Very comfortable but the quality control seems to be lacking (made in China). They are good about sending replacements but I get tired of them leaking on me.
Anyway the catheters are the Rochester Medical Wide Band and I also use a reusable fabric strap. Found that I can sometimes go two days with one cath and I don't get too wound up in the night bag tubing. The Simplicity bag could also be used at night but it's only 400 ml and fits kind of like a athletic supporter. Since I sleep on my stomach and the bag is too small for me overnight I haven't tried it and I don't think I will either! Other than the UTI and the leaks I like the condom caths better than diapers although I will still need them at night sometimes to give the penis skin a break plus I have some bowel incontinence that seems to be slowed/stopped by taking Imodium and them maybe an enema when needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:26 am 
Admin

I looked at that system, but I rarely ever wear shorts, so when I am in a catheter/bag set-up, it is fine with the leg bag and sock holder from Uro-care. I looked into a belly bag, but they are not for external catheter systems, this one looks like the tube is short enough that it would not be too far a path for the urine to travel. I'll stick to the Hollister bag I like, but lots out there to try! 8) Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:53 pm 

I use the Duette Foley Catheter from Poiesis Medical.

I started in diapers after a bout with a swollen prostate. I got tired and Broke $$$ of using diapers and switched to Condom Catheters. I had Prostate Cancer, removed it, and after my healing I was still using a Condom Catheter.
I was having to force myself to pee, so a Urodynamic study was done. I had over 1000cc of urine in me and I could't go. So when the test was over they put a Foley Catheter in me. That was three years ago. I am doing fine with the Foley in. I use a Belly Bag so I don't have to strap a leg bag to my hurting legs.
The Duette is very comfortable to use and live with. Lyle 2 told me about them. Now my Medical supplier is handling them. Insurance takes care of all of my supplies!!

IF YOU HAVE TO FORCE A STREAM get checked. IF you are holing too much urine in your bladder it can damage your bladder.