www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dealing with Caths
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:23 pm 
Admin

Catheters are one way to deal with incontinence.
What type do yall use and what are the good and bad points on using them ?

Post subject: Re: Dealing with Caths
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:46 pm 
Admin

Well, as far as external catheters, also called condom caths, I like the fact that you stay dry, as long as everything functions the way it is supposed to, especially at night! No changes in the middle of the day, once you are all set up, it is good for 24 hours. No odor if you maintain the bag and tubing properly. Freedom to do whatever you did before you started having issues. On the downside, they are not all that cheap to buy, even more-so if you do not have medical to offset the costs. They can be troublesome to get figured out as far as what works for you, everyone is different with these things, what some really like, others refuse to use due to whatever reasons. Other then that, they are a great way to deal with plumbing problems for men. :D Puffy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:57 pm 

I use intermittent catheters. As my bladder was retaining 500mls and I was started on these a while ago but more recently the bladder has decided not to work at all - at least not to let anything out on its own so these catheters have to do all the draining. Generally I drain 4 times a day but night-time can be pain as, if i wake up at 0300 oe 0400, I often find my bladder is so full it is painful so I have to do what I haven't for over 30 years - get up and drain my bladder, up to 1.4 litres!

That said, I go to bed with no protection - and I haven't done that in over 30 years!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:40 pm 

My current urologist is dead set against my wearing diapers, and instead wants me to begin using external catheters. My initial experiences with them were uniformly disastrous; I had pants-soaking accidents even when two enterostomal therapists put them on, because the glue always came undone. A month ago I got a shipment of the latest Coloplast external catheters. I'll report on them after I've had the opportunity to use them a few times.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:54 pm 

I always wondered if a catheters would be an option for me and I did speak with my urologest about it bet she felt and I agreed that with the damage and inflammation in my bladder from the IC that I would not tolerate the pain and discomfort well at all. Also with my type of leakage she felt I would end up just leaking around the catheter anyways. Only thing I have not really looked into were condom catheters. I am still open to looking in to those in the future.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:26 am 

The thing with sheaths (external catheters in the USA) is that there are a variety of makes and the glue i often a different composition so finding the right make is vital to having the sheath stay in place. I have found the Coloplast ones work well but was using Manfred Sauer ones prior to not needing them. I didn't find the USA branch but it could be they work out of Canada. Their sheaths are longer than Coloplast and seem to stay on whatever happens and they do various sorts so having a chat with them could help.

The next thing is skin preparation. It is essential that the skin of the penis is oil free to give the glue a chance. Preferably use an ordinary soap to wash there rather than shower gel or something that has oils in it otherwise the glue will fail - I know, I tried!

It is important to make sure than the bag is well attached to the leg and doesn't pull. It is essential that the strap are secure. If you can manage that, a leak proof solution should work fine.

Honestly, if you can get things to work, it is far easier than nappies (diapers in the USA) as there is no changing and the bag can be drained almost anywhere - even while tying a shoe lace while standing over a drain!

Last edited by Puffy Pants on Mon May 12, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spelling - cold to could

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:08 am 

I'm on my second week with the Coloplast external catheters & am getting used to the routine. I've learned to trust them now that I've found the right size. My service rep at Coloplast has been great. It's 100% more liberating over a diaper for sure & less expensive so far. I really don't even need to think about it until I feel a little excessive weight on my leg. I'm using the 1000ml bag & it works fine. So far I'm a convert. Needless to say wearing shorts is an issue so I'll just go back to the diaper for those occasions.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:09 pm 

Don,

You may be a perfect person to ask this but I would like to hear from anyone with experience with both catheters and diapers. What would be your recommendation for man still in the work forces and with a physically demanding career? Some one that is still sexually active as well?
The presents of a bag seems like it would not go very well with a physical job. Also a catheter (Foley or condom) would seem to me to not allow for a very sexually active life either.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:54 pm 

Rope... Good questions & it's a mixed reply. I'm still working also & I do a lot of physical labor and have no problem with the bag thus far. I now sweat a lot less also but diapers also have qualities too. I find that I'm sleeping without the catheter because I don't like being attached to a hose at night & that also gives my "man parts" a little breather from the adhesive. As for sexual activity I can't really comment but I can say that removing the external catheter may change the mood as the adhesive is sticky & requires some tender removal in the shower but with proper timing all things can be worked out. After using diapers for years now I find the external catheter a very refreshing change that as each day that goes by I feel a little more normal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:41 am 

:D Hello all I'm new here and thus far think it a great, helpful site. I'm a full time wheelchair user and have been using condom catheters for years mostly without any probs, had a couple of slip offs when transferring to/from my chair and car.
Have to say sheeths give me so much more freedom and less clock watching than pads/diapers, but then its all down to the individual's preferences/circumstances