www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dealing with Caths
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:58 pm 

Dan you last statement of "If you are holing too much urine in your bladder it can damage your bladder." makes me wonder if that is one reason why military personnel seem to be in a higher percentage of suffering from incontinence? Many times we are put in positions were we have no choice but to hold it. I remember times having to hold it for so long it hurt to the point of difficult to walk and the pain and than when trying to go to the bathroom it was difficult. The doctors say I suffer from bladder spasms they say are most likely from a mini stroke I had because shortly afterwards was when I started to have problems. By your statement I wonder if it was just coincidence my bladder had enough of me having to hold it for long times and started fighting back and now the spasms are a by product of holding for so long.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:40 pm 

Hi Bateman,
The problem is urine backup to the kidneys. That can cause real bad damage. Most likely your bladder has been stretched too much.
Bladder spasms can happen when urine can't come out. I know because I had a problem with my balloon in my foley and urine could't flow out. I was dancing it hurt so bad. I thought I was plugged. No I wasn't. I had to remove it. The type foley I have has two balloons. The anchor balloon still was intact. But bladder spasms are no fun.

What do you use????

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:28 am 

Thanks Dan. Makes sense. I don't use caths although one time the nurse recommend I might look into it as my bladder held more than 200cc after I had gone. The Doc said no to that and told me to double void even it it means more time in the bathroom trying to go. My main problem is urge incon. As I tell the doc sometimes I make it, but more often I don't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:22 am 

batman381327 wrote:
Thanks Dan. Makes sense. I don't use caths although one time the nurse recommend I might look into it as my bladder held more than 200cc after I had gone. The Doc said no to that and told me to double void even it it means more time in the bathroom trying to go. My main problem is urge incon. As I tell the doc sometimes I make it, but more often I don't.

Has the doctor mentioned intermittent catheters? Using one, the bladder can be completely empty giving you another 200ml or more space before leaks. In any event, it is really important to be completely empty to avoid infections.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:22 pm 

I agree with Wheels! I started Self Cathing, in the days before getting a clean one everytime I cathed. I used the same one!!!! I don't know how I didn't get an infection!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:51 pm 

Nope no mention of that either. Maybe if my condition gets worse it might get mentioned again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:31 am 

diaperdan wrote:
I agree with Wheels! I started Self Cathing, in the days before getting a clean one everytime I cathed. I used the same one!!!! I don't know how I didn't get an infection!!

Years ago I was given the same to try - a singl;e catheter which one washed after use. Of course, it is called 'clean intermittent catheterisation' and not sterile. The idea is that the risks of infection are higher if the urine remains in the bladder than the risk of introducing infection with a clean catheter. It certainly worked that way!

These days I use Coloplast's Speedicath Compact and they are brilliant and easy to carry around and dispose of too!