www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 am 

Hello
First time poster here, though I have been lurking on the sidelines for a while. I have been incon for about 6 years, and have tried numerous products during this time, but haven't found one I can use daily with confidence. I am 60+ y/o male, and evidently a very heavy wetter. I use cloth & plastic at night, which works fine, but during the day at work is where I am still searching...
Have used the attends extended wear, but they seem to clump up. The Wellness works good for me, as to the Abenas, but they are pricey, and I am a widower with limited income...Looking for something that works well without costing $1.50 per piece...anyone know of any (off-brands) that work well, or do I just bite the bullet and buy premium and walk to work?
Your input is appreciated, and thanks for all the great advice I've received on the website...
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:56 pm 

Hey Jaas1
Good to see you finally got around and posted for the first time! I have tried a bunch of disposable diapers and use one I am quite happy with and cost about a $1.00 each which is the Molicare Comfort Super. It's thin enough not to be noticable and it's very quiet for a plastic back diaper. I get them from XP Medical. You can get a sample pack from them and try several of the kinds they carry. That's what I did and chose that Molicare. Good luck! ...................Paul Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:50 pm 
Admin

Hey jaas1, I can relate to the price of incon products, they are by no means cheap to get something of decent quality. I use the Tena Super, and for around $1 a piece, they work really well for fairly heavy voids. I have also found that adding a cloth inseft or even a larger sized baby diaper to it makes it all the better, but you using cloth at night should have something that you can use as a liner, also really helps spread out the fluids, and get a more uniform saturation of the stuffing, hope that helps, keep us posted on what you decide on! :) Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:23 am 

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen-Your input is appreciated. Never thought of putting cloth inside a disposable, I guess that would work if you had a way to "store" the cloth when it's time for a change...Have to think about that for a while and see what brilliant ideas I can come up with! :) Thanks again for your replies...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 am 

Another thing to consider is how often you want to change. Some people think that they should change as soon as possible after each wetting. If you fall into that category, then you might as well buy the lowest price diapers available. They won't hold much, but they won't need to hold much. On the other hand, if you want a diaper that can last most of the day or all through the night, and if you" don't worry about wearing a wet diaper so long as it's not uncomfortable, you'll want to buy a more expensive, high capacity diaper. More expensive diapers can actually cost less to use than cheap ones if you use fewer of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:15 am 

jaas1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen-Your input is appreciated. Never thought of putting cloth inside a disposable, I guess that would work if you had a way to "store" the cloth when it's time for a change...Have to think about that for a while and see what brilliant ideas I can come up with! :) Thanks again for your replies...

Plus a way to wash them.
Over three years ago my step daughter died and we ended up with two grandkids (now only one as the other moved out). Kind of hard to wash diapers with the kids around. Not that they don't know I wear them, just that the smell was too much at times.
The youngest one did ask one time why all the diapers were around. So I told him about the MS and my wife filled in some of the details.
I suppose, now that the oldest is gone and the 12 year old is in school most of the day I could wash/dry while he's gone. But my wife said to use the disposable as cost wasn't a factor for us.
The Abena M-4 is my choice for day and night.

Last edited by deen_ad on Mon May 21, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:26 pm 

Thank you all again for your replies. I have been using an extended wear product during the day, as changes are awkward, and have found that with the premium garments I can pretty much go the day without having to change most of the time. It would appear that although this is a bit more expensive per item,that it is indeed the way to go for me...I was just hoping there was a less expensive alternative which would achieve the same results, but apparently there is not. Perhaps the old adage that "You get what you pay for" is indeed correct in this instance.
Your input and advice is appreciated, and I thank you again for your assistance...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:56 pm 

Welcome aboard.

It took me several months of trial and error to find what works best for me. I have come down to Secure Personal Care X-Plus and Abena M4. These are the two that I feel I can trust to not leak and still be discrete. Lately I have been using the SPC X-Plus for daytime. It is very impressive how much it can hold. My bladder varies on how much it leaks. It can be a flood or a trickle. I never know. I have rarely had any leaks with either diaper. The M4 have more padding in the back so it works better for me for nights.

Doug

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:14 am 

jaas1-- i would recommend going to a place like dmes.com and getting samples of a bunch of things. They have tena and abenas in all kinds--pullups and taped briefs. Then you can try something and not be stuck with a case of things you don't want to wear. All of us have different needs, lifestyles, etc. I am very active and rarely home, but also try not to spend a ton of money on diapers. I use Sams Club briefs during the day. They cost about 20 cents each and they work great. I can change easily at work, as many times as I want. They are better than depends or store brands. And for nighttime I wear abena or wellness--something thicker. So ask the same question here and you will get a dozen answers. Find out what works best for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:13 am 

inconguy wrote:
jaas1-- i would recommend going to a place like dmes.com and getting samples of a bunch of things. They have tena and abenas in all kinds--pullups and taped briefs. Then you can try something and not be stuck with a case of things you don't want to wear. All of us have different needs, lifestyles, etc. I am very active and rarely home, but also try not to spend a ton of money on diapers. I use Sams Club briefs during the day. They cost about 20 cents each and they work great. I can change easily at work, as many times as I want. They are better than depends or store brands. And for nighttime I wear abena or wellness--something thicker. So ask the same question here and you will get a dozen answers. Find out what works best for you.

Wish we had a Sams Club near us. They have some good things.