www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:24 am 

although i have a spc catheter years ago i used disposable pads.

i found over time that i developed a bad skin condition and was changed to priva cloth diapers.

after been catheterized i developed a chronic condition which results in loss of urine.

i have purchased towelling diapers which are elasticated but still use pins.

with these sorts of products i can use booster pads and they are very good for night time.

the only downside is that they are dear and you need a good supply to last both day and night.

washing is easy and they dry pretty fast.

there are many types of waterproofs and am not bothered what i use as long as they keep me dry.

downside is bulkiness but when i am badly i don't venture out.

loose jog bottoms come in handy if i go out.

michael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:20 pm 

I don't know about towelling diapers? But once upon a time my husband and I were stuck at a remote harbor on an island in northern Lake Michigan for several days due to high winds. It was way to much for our little 25' power cruiser to handle. What was suppose to be an over night turned in to 3-4 days as I remember. We had plenty of food onboard but I ran out of diapers and ended up using Beach towels. Let me tell you you can make a great cloth diaper out of one big beach towel :D The best part was My husband and I were the only ones on the whole island I was able to lounge around with no pants and no cares :wink:
..................................Sandy :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:09 am 

hi sandy,

when i was little i was put in to a make shift towel for a diaper but that is another story, and on the internet there are some sites which help with making your own diapers including waterproofs in emergency situations.

i tried years ago to make my own diapers but failed miserly.

the products i have now are very good and some of them i have had for a good few years.

mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:33 am 

Quote:
Let me tell you you can make a great cloth diaper out of one big beach towel

Or if on a cruise ship and run low the towels work great if all you do is wet, not for bowel incon. though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 pm 

That will do you in a pinch Sandy... good thinking!

I suppose I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to running out of diapers, even though you can buy ones that will do in a pinch at any convenience store. My wife laughs when we travel because I always end up packing way too many diapers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:02 pm 

I'm old enough to remember a time BEFORE there were adult disposables. This was long before I ever experienced incontinence
issues myself - but a college girlfriend did have an embarrassing bedwetting problem, and she used all forms of cloth or washable
protection at night.

Last edited by john1050 on Mon May 22, 2017 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:47 am 

I was never much into cloth until much later in life thanks to Joe and Paul :wink: As a child I was born right around the time disposables came on the seen. I can still remember being grade school age and wearing those old Pampers without any leg elastic :? and don't forget those heavy rubber and plastic pants. My parents were never much for the reusable type products. .............................Sandy :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:11 am 

We mention towels for diapers in the Diaper Primer, mainly for folks who want to try cloth just at night, to save money on disposables. If they find they don't like the laundry hassle, they still have towels that are useful as, well, towels. And towels generally cost a lot less than cloth diapers.

Once folks decide they can handle the laundry, they can "move up" to a good cloth pre-fold diaper (costly) that is a better fit and much less bulky than the pillow-like fit of terry towels.

The British have always had terry towel diaper squares....again very bulky and I could never get the hang of folding them and they are very costly compared with plain old towels.

I want to mention, based on the post about using towels on a cruise in a pinch, that's a good emergency move but be careful as the laundry service may have added a disinfectant, as some do. I have used hotel towels many times in a pinch....I carry plastic pants when I travel for that use....and on one occasion woke with a roaring painful rash caused by the disinfectant in the towel reacting with urine. I think you can smell the disinfectant in a clean dry towel if one is in use....so if you do, then do not use the towel for a diaper!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am 

Yes, Sandy, I do recall the fan-fold Pampers....before any elastics were part of a disposable diaper!

And I wore cloth diapers to school; we could not afford disposable diapers. And they were covered with rubber pants! I believe they were Bitner brand rubber pants for children....with sizes to fit up thru age 12 if I recall correctly.

Oh the not so fond memories......<grin>

Happy New Year and glad to have Abena, Dry 24-7, Wellness, ATN and so on to back up my cloth diapers on occasion!

JoeK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:03 am 

Hey Joe
I don't remember the name of the plastic/rubber pants I wore :?: Those Sani pants come to mind :? But I still remember vividly the Cardboard box of pampers and as crazy as it sounds the smell that was released when you first opened a new box of pampers diapers. Funny the things that stick with you :?: ...............................Sandy :)