www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Training" Pants
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 pm 

First of all I wish there was a better term than training pants seeing how I'm not looking to potty train myself. I guess what I'm looking for could be a pull-on diaper. I've tried a couple brands of "training" pants and neither has lived up to my expectations. Whichever brand I end up ordering I would like them to be able to handle moderate wetting if necessary. I own a couple pull-on diapers which are way too-bulky for my liking and they tend to droop and sag when wet. A little too-much to conceal under my clothing. Actually I'd like ones that are snap-side so I could easily change at work if the need rises. Absolutely no Velcro. I had velcro fastners on a few diapers and it did not stand up to the repeated washings. I got real tired of cleaning out the little hooks so they would grip better. I'm an active individual and the Velcro tends to loosen up on me when I'm doing a lot of lifting, etc... Pretty much the same as the tapes on disposable diapers do. The Velcro feels pretty nasty against the skin when it gets turned around the wrong way. I guess I'm looking for an alternative to the pin-on diapers I wear to work every day. I'd like something that is easier/faster to change than the pin-on diapers.

I've done some window shopping on the net and considering how expensive adult training pants are I thought I bounce it off of you people before I throw away any more money. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:10 pm 

DDS,
I"ve had pretty good success with a pull-on diaper from ACD that has a pull out center. The "pull-out" center is actually a seperate flannel panel that allows you to put a booster pad or similar cloth baby type diaper to boost the absorbancy. It works well for me. Only draw back is you have to pull off your pants when you change. They have held up well under repeated washings. They dry quicker too with the pull out panel. .....Paul Martin

Post subject: trainers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:46 pm 

bkins in canada will custom make trainers for you at a very reasonable price
their are products are of the highest qualty
been useing them for years
i can only praise their commitment to make a good product
for people who dont let incontinence get in their way living

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm 
Admin

I agree with Bruce on this one, Kins cloth pull ons are the best I have tried, very well made, thick, but I got the highest absorbancy ones they made, may try the lower lever and see if they can be used during the day without being too bulky under jeans... Gabby's for coverpantsl, I tried the Kins but just too thin and flimsy... Gabbys are almost like a cloth, but with a waterproof inner barrier, no problems so far with that combo... good luck, let us know what you go with! :) Puffy

Post subject: KINS is a good company!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:09 am 

Hi Puff,
I want to agree with you and Bruce that KINS is a great Canandian company producing good pull on diapers and, in my opinion, excellent plastic pants!

I see you were disappointed with the pants....but I think you experienced the light weight vinyl pants....which was all they offered just a few years back. The light weight plastic pants were only 2 to 3 mills and felt just wonderful...more like a light silk pant than a plastic pant, BUT they were very fragile and did not last long at all. I fear these pants gave KINS that reputaion that their vinyl pants did not stand up, because they sure did not stand up!

That was corrected with the introduction of 6 mil vinyl pants that are still very soft, considering the weight of the vinyl and they wear very well! Waist and leg bands in Lycra are incredibly comfortable. For overnight or a high securty situation, the vinyl encased elastic bands are the way to go for no-wick protection from leaks.

And I sure don't work for the company; I simply enjoy the comfort and depend on the quality of the (mid weight) vinyl pants. If you have NOT experienced the mid weight vinyl pants, then I feel certain you will be pleasantly surprised and pleased with the comfort and durability!

On to pull on diapers and "trainers"...
KINS calls their trainers "pull-on briefs" and they can be had with a poly/cotton center soaker panel or a 100% cotton pant with terrycloth soaker panel.

In the "diaper" category, they offer terrycloth or flannel and both in regular and double thickness.

I can only rate the brief with the poly/cotton soaker which I use for visits to the Drs as they offer pull down and pull up convenience. All the rest of the time I am wearing pin on gauze pre-folds. I find I can get 4 hours safely with the pull on brief....about the same length of time I would trust a disposable diaper to keep me dry.

DDS
You've got a problem a lot of us share with trying to work in diapers, esp when work is physical. I agree that disposables fail miserably when you are active!

I was in blue collar work so I could wear cover-alls which were great concealment clothes and let me wear a pin on diaper all day without the hassle of a change at work.

I wonder if you would consider baby diapers, the size 6 for max absorbancy and wear one in a good fitting pull on cloth trainer or brief that is not too bulky for concealment under what you have to wear to work. I've found I can get 2-4 hours depending on beverage consumption before needing to slip out the wet baby diaper and slide a new one in. Perhaps, if that works for you, you could get thru a work day with one or two visits to the john to change out the baby diaper...which is easier to conceal to carry in and the wet one to throw out....in most circumstances.

You will find most likely the pull ons will be wet by the end of the day as the baby diaper will overflow to some degree but your pull on, covered with plastic pants of course, should be able to make it all the way thru the day. Something you may want to experiment with.....good luck!

Post subject: training pants - Kins
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:56 pm 
Admin

Hello Joe, you are exactly correct in regards to the Kins coverpant that I tried, it was super thin and did not last 2 weeks without having a tear in the back of it. I got it at a local Home Health store in town, and I am sure it is older stock, and not the new type they sell on the website. I may try them later on when it comes time to get some replacements, but for now I will go with the Gabby cover, they seem indestructable! I did end up getting the heavier of the two pull on diapers that Kins has, and like them the best. With a few well placed liners, they do what I need them to over night without any major issues, and get a much better sleep that way. I will stay with a disposable during the day, as I find the cloth are just TOO much under the jeans to get away with, makes me wish I started wearing cover-alls when I was younger, never worn them or owned a pair... mamy not be too late! :wink: Thanks for the reply, have a good day! Puffy