www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:04 pm 

Because I wear terries and plastic pants all the time to manage my wetting issues (I wee like a busted water main!).

I have yet to find a manufacturer offering plastic pants that meet my demanding and particular requirements at a cost I'm willing to pay.

I have made my own pants for many years using pvc material bought on the roll and sold online in a store provided by Henley Medical, they use it to manufacture body bags, waterproof mattress protection sheets and other items as well as their own plastic pants.

Sadly their pants are too narrow on the crotch and do not have enough height at the hips, but the pvc is top class and can be bough in various widths and thicknesses.

It is soft and slippery when new and impregnated with a sanitary chemical that resists odours and the material lasts a good while if the pants made from it are looked after.

The cut of my pants has developed over the years by experimentation and ironically enough have ended up very similar to the baby pants of the 60's and 70's only larger.

I cut my pants with a 12" wide crotch at its narrowest point (i.e. at the groin when sat down) with very forward facing legs which give a seat area over twice the width of the crotch, giving me leak protection in this most vulnerable position during a wetting episode.

The sides are 10" high from the tops of the leg bands to the waist and in use the waist band comes up to my belly button even when wearing the bulkiest night time nappies.

They are cut very full giving plenty of room for my terry nappy to move around and are gathered at the waist and legs by the new lycra none fold elastics available today giving a soft but firm water tight grip.

The elastics are bonded and sealed into tunnels formed by the edges folded over and bonded with soft PVC adhesive forming a good non wick water tight seal.

These pants give me water tight protection in all but the wettest conditions which I am very happy with at a fraction of the cost of bought pants. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:18 am 

GreggyB,

Wow! Sounds like you have this manufacturing process down to a science. I guess trial and error is the best teacher. Sandy has a young friend who makes some designer type plastic pants, I guess if you're good a sewing it's a snap. I've had some custom diapers made by a ggod friend of mine, but that's as far as I've gone. ........Paul Martin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:42 pm 

bullins in liverpool makes custom made plastic pants
for about 10.50 american
high qualty long lasting
only draw back is postage to the states is expence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:13 pm 

By poking around through AC Medical's extensive but weirdly organized online catalog I recently discovered and tried their Beta pants. (Page two of their catalog... http://www.acmedi.com/acms/catalog2.html is the url.)
These are a bit noisy to put on and take off but are quite silent when worn.
They have these pants already cut but without elastics, apparently so they can put on various types of elastics as requested by customers. It occurred to me to ask if they'd cut them to different lengths, and I ended up getting a couple each that are cut an inch higher and an inch lower than the 040, which is basically the standard full-cut size. It's nice to have this variety available. I also ordered them with wide elastic at the waist - these are a bit stronger than standard but not nearly so strong as the Fetware elastics.