www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:58 pm 

My mother, who is 88 and has Parkinsons, has been having some minor incontinence episodes recently. Actually at this point I think the problem has more to do with mobility difficulties than actual incontinence (it takes her a lonnnng time to get anywhere, including even a few steps to the bathroom) but it's also my understanding that incontinence issues are frequently associated with Parkinsons, especially as the disease progresses.

Right now the "accidents" are pretty intermittent (once a week or even less) but I think at this point some kind of incontinence pad might be really useful for her, particularly overnight (when there seems to generally be some minor "leakage" - not leading to real wetness, but undeniable dampness.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to brand/style/type, etc that would be most appropriate for this level of problem? My experience with these products is pretty limited, and though it's great that there are so many choices, I'd sincerely appreciate any recommendations or advice.

Thanks in advance!

ZC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:32 pm 

Welcome to the forum. I know you'll receive a LOT of replies in answer to your question.

I would recommend the pull-on style incontinent underwear for the symptoms you've described. This type of product can best be described like disposable training pants for a child. This type of protection is not a diaper, but a "protection" product capable of absorbing leakage while looking like regular underwear. I'm sure your mom wants to keep her dignity so I would not recommend you all of a sudden hand her a bag of adult diapers.........I would recommend you have some conversation about under garment "protection" before giving her any of these products. Might be a little sensitive if you know what I mean.

These products are available at any drug store. There are a large number of different bands, and some drug store chains have these products manufactured under the name of the drug store. The only other thing you really need to know that is important here is the level of absorbency. Many of these products come in different absorbency levels such as light, or moderate. I would recommend just buying a small bag at you local drug store for a trial. I don't know that I would recommend the belted garment type here. I think staying with a product that resembles regular underwear would probably be best. Depends is another brand that makes this product. When it comes to these types of products,......I don't think the brand name makes much of a difference as long as there is some quality to the product. The drug store brand is probably just as good as the other brands located on the shelf. Just check for waist size and make sure your buying the Pull-Up style, and not the belted style. 1, 2, 3...... It's that easy!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:56 am 

zc
Along with Johnstone, I would like to welcome you to our forum. You've come to the right place.
John is correct in saying the best would probably be a "pull-up" type garment. I use these in the morning as I drive to the "Y" for my early morning swim. I would stongly suggest going with the drug store brands rather than the name brands like Tena or Depends. The drug store brand, like from CVS, Walgreens, or Excherds, are all better in protection that the name brands. I know because I've tried them. They're cheaper ,too. Good luck and let us know how it goes! ......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:47 pm 

I thought I might throw in my two cents' worth here concerning pads. I'm a dribbler, and use them most days, switching to pullups for night. Even though my leakage is far less than what appears to be the norm around here, I do find protection necessary. At night, if I'm on my back, I find that leaks tend to run down between my legs and onto my underwear (and then the bed) without even touching the pad. If I should roll over and my penis isn't straight up or down parallel to the pad, I also find leakage happens along the sides.

If I'm dribbling heavily, I tend to use the pullups during the day as well, as I've had a couple of side leaks with just the pads. I think it might help if I had tighter underwear, holding the pad up against my body, or maybe I just need larger pads. The pullups may be overkill for my situation, but I'd rather be overprotected than underprotected any time.

Any other dribblers out there?