www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:30 am 

Westway,
Thanks for your first post and welcome to the forum! I believe we all can relate to your post. You sound a lot like me in my incontinence. I've come to accept it and go on with my life the way it is.
As you have any other comments or questions, please feel free to post. ....Paul Martin

Post subject: wet again
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:19 am 

The reason I wear rubber pants with disposable diapers is for extra leak protection. I find I can wear cheaper disposables with rubber pants too. Today I wet myself enough to overflow my diaper. That doesn't happen every day. The cotton briefs held my diaper in place but they got wet. My rubber pants kept my jeans from getting wet too. I really hate it when I wet myself enough to show. It is ALWAYS enough for me to notice and worry that somebody else will see that I wet myself. I used to worry about it much more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 am 
Admin

If you wear higher quality disposables instead of cheaper ones, they should hold more urine output and they generally will not leak until filled. You should change them beforehand anyway. A disposable can still leak with plastic pants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:45 am 

Lots of talk here about the use of plastic pants over disposable. I would never leave home without plastic pants even though I use a high quality disposable. The added protection makes a lot of difference to me. I stand all day long an cannot tell you how many times I have found the inside of the the plastic just a little wet. That little bit is the difference between wet clothes and not and it gathers in the crotch and does not run down my leg. Also it adds just another layer of potential odor protection. I guess it makes it a little less noisy down there too but I don't concern myself with that too much. So really I suppose it's all it what makes one feel comfortable and with less stress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:55 am 
Admin

Since I became incontinent, I have always worn disposable diapers. I have tried many different brands. I have had leaks along the way as well, just like everyone else. But I have really only worn plastic pants a couple of times. I have the white "institution" pants from Xpmedical. But I really never wear them because they are uncomfortable. The diaper has leaked in them before and they did not stop it. The urine came right out and onto my clothes. Then, with help from the users on this board, I purchased a pair from Kins. These are so comfortable. I feel more secure and I wear them everywhere. I find that they compress the diaper to where it hugs my body and they also cut down on noise. I can wear almost anything with them and nobody can see the diaper outline. They work like an expert concealer and they should better protect against leaks because they fit better. I haven't leaked yet but I plan on doing a trial run in my house to see if they will hold up. I find that in the past, if I leak in a seated position, that the diaper and other plastic pants have leaked. I'm not so sure about the kins though. They fit and are designed alot better than the ones from Xpmedical. And they aren't as hot which is always a plus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:42 pm 
Admin

I performed a "dry" run so to speak on my kins plastic pants. I leaked in a seated position a couple tiems in a row. The urine pooled in the bottom of the diaper and leaked out the leg opening. It got into my plastic pants from kins and leaked out that leg hole as well right onto my shorts. So I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do. People say the plastic pants contain the urine. I don't see how. These are good pants. And they leaked. I'm still going to wear them. In case I leak stool. I'm hoping they will contain that being they don't contain urine. Maybe if I was to leak in a standing position that would be different. I'm thinking the urine would pool in the bottom of the plastic pants, like right in the crotch. But I don't have a lot of experience in this matter. Hopefully, some of you who regularly wear plastic pants can enlighten me on this matter.

Post subject: PP over disposable
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:14 am 

There has been a lot of talk about this on other forums that I have been on. Plastic pants over disposable diapers offer very little additional protection. They are good for preventing spotting if you have a small leak, however if you have a major leak the urine will just travel between the two non-absorbent layers and find its way out (usually through the leg openings). The best way to prevent this is to wear cotton briefs over the disposable, under the plastic pants. That way if a leak does occur the cotton briefs will absorb the urine and the plastic pants will keep it from getting to your outer pants.

-Darin

Don wrote:
I performed a "dry" run so to speak on my kins plastic pants. I leaked in a seated position a couple tiems in a row. The urine pooled in the bottom of the diaper and leaked out the leg opening. It got into my plastic pants from kins and leaked out that leg hole as well right onto my shorts. So I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do. People say the plastic pants contain the urine. I don't see how. These are good pants. And they leaked. I'm still going to wear them. In case I leak stool. I'm hoping they will contain that being they don't contain urine. Maybe if I was to leak in a standing position that would be different. I'm thinking the urine would pool in the bottom of the plastic pants, like right in the crotch. But I don't have a lot of experience in this matter. Hopefully, some of you who regularly wear plastic pants can enlighten me on this matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:43 am 
Admin

I have heard of wearing the cotton briefs before over the diaper and under the plastic pants. My only thought is that its hot in Florida. I try to stay as cool as possible. I don't need another layer of clothing on top of the diaper and plastic pants. It is just too hot here to wear three layers of underwear. Thanks for the tip though. I may try it in the winter time, but not now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:56 pm 

No offense, but exactly how paranoid are some of you folks when it comes to leaks?

A disposable (which has its own plastic cover) topped by cotton briefs, topped by a pair of plastic pants?

Just screams overkill to me. If you are going to wear plastic pants you might as well go with a cloth diaper, which can be made to have capacity even disposables can't match.

IMO if you are having that many problems and concerns over leakage you need to invest in a better diaper, not add more layers in hope of stopping the problem.

When I wear disposables I wear just the disposable and whatever pants go with my outfit. If I happen to leak 99% of the time it is because I wasn't attentive enough to the condition of my diaper. If I tailor my protection to what I'm doing and change when I know I should leakage is rarely an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:44 pm 

No offense, but exactly how paranoid are some of you folks when it comes to leaks?

In a word... Yes very paranoid. I change at the same time every day and use what I consider to be a quality diaper. Sometimes I leak more than other times during a given period and I just want to be sure that I'm well protected. I also don't think that I'm right for cloth diapers. So is a little overkill necessary? For some of us I would think so. We all use different methods and different levels of protection. For me the combination I use works well and most important keeps my mind at ease.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next