Diapers, pads, or other types of protection?

Daytime and nighttime protection.
Post a reply

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:57 am

Linda, I also find that Molicare diapers that get lumpy when wet; in fact I have experiences a few occasions when the absorbent material in the front of the diaper broke away from the backsheet and fell into the crotch, leaving me with a mass of wet material between my legs. But I only wear diapers at night for bedwetting so when that happens I just take it off, I don’t have to walk around in it. But I’ll continue wearing them because they are pretty reliable for getting me through the night without leaking.

I use cloth at home as much as possible, but I don’t keep my diaper pail in the bathroom where visitors might see it. It is in my closet where all my supplies are and out of sight to anyone except family. When I take off a cloth diaper it goes into the washer for a short pre-wash cycle (really a 4 minute rinse and spin dry), then into the diaper pail until a regular wash on the weekend. The pre-wash eliminates any diaper pail odors.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:20 pm

I always wear cloth pinned on diapers and plastic pants

diaper types

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:49 pm

i feel that you should try ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT diapers by tranquility, i am bladder incont. from a bulldozer accident and find that these diapers can absorb a large amount of urine with no leaking or no bad odors.i get them from hdis inc. on the internet they are shipped in a plain brown box on a regular shipping schedule.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:21 pm

Hello Phillip
Thankyou for posting. :D

Im bladder and bowel incont from an accident while I was in the military.

The Tranquility ATN diapers are good, expecially when combined with the doublers from XPMedical, but have you tried the Molicare or Abena X-plus diapers? Many people think they are the best quality adult diaper thats available to us in the USA. I myself prefer the Abena over the others.
But everyone is different and what really matters is that you find a diaper that fits your needs and fits your body the best without having leaks. The Molicare and Abena X-plus diapers are available from many sources, including www.xpmedical.com .

When im staying at home, I prefer the cloth diapers from www.angelfluff.com . I dont mind the extra work on washing them and in the long run they are a lot cheeper than the disposables. I also dont get the rashes that ill get from wearing disposables. They also dont fill up our allready overflowing landfills. If you get about a dozen cloth diapers, they will last well over a year before you have to replace them.

multiple layers of protection.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:48 am

Some types of protection are for specific needs. One person deals with dribble incontinence, while another deals with the occasional flood incontinence, and still another deals with bowel incontinence, and others with bowel and urinary incontinence, and any combination of the above. In all the years of trials I have been through, testing this product and that product, trying to find the best combination of products to manage my incontinence, I have found that quality products meet the needs. I, personally, start with skin preparation because of sensitive skin. Use some sort of skin protectant, and if you have a lot of hair down below, consider trimming it because it helps with hygene, trust me I have had to deal with it. Next is a quality disposable diaper, I use Abena. The brand is not that important just that it is a good quality product, that is key. Next I use a cloth diaper that is not real thick because it is there only to wick up what may get past the disposable. Last, and very important, is a quality plastic or rubber pant to catch any liquid that gets past the disposable. The pant will stop the liquid long enough for the cloth diaper to absorb it. The main point is that quality products will do the job. Fear of people knowing you are in diapers and plastic pants should be cast aside. In all the years I have been walking around at the office, on a remote job site or going to classes at the university, no one has ever made a single comment, cast a glance, or in any way noticed my protective underclothing. People just do not notice. They cannot hear the rustle of the plastic covering the lower regions, if they can hear something they do not know what it is and since it is not important to their daily life, it is dismissed. The only way people know is if they see wetness on your pants or skirt. I find this multi-layer system to be flawless in cold weather or hot. It simply works. Just do not wear tight fitting clothing, but at the same time do not wear potato sacks. This is not the only system that works, but this has been tried and it does work well. Thanks.

Tue May 16, 2006 1:22 pm

I know it's been a while since there was a post on this topic, but there's some really good info here, and I hope others won't mind posting on what their favorite brands are, especially the folks who use the reusables.

There are a couple of brands of plastic pants I don't like. One of them is the Reassure brand sold by HDIS. They are cheaply made, and they turn brittle really quickly. On the other hand, I've bought their rectangular flat cloth flannel diaper, and while it's probably not going to be absorbant enough for some people, it worked well for me and is very comfy.

I've also used the Comco vinyl pants, which are excellent quality, but I find their mediums to be oversized, and the smalls are too small. They are also heavy duty vinyl and not that soft.

After using Comco for a long time, I found the Adult Cloth Diaper site, and tried their plastic pants. They are an excellent choice--lightweight, soft, durable, better fitting, and the company is nice to deal with. I haven't tried any of their diapers yet.

I've visited the Suprema site, and their plastic pants look really good, but a little on the pricy side. Does anyone have any comments on their quality or the service?

I'm interested to hear what people use. We can all learn from each other. :)

Favorite re-usable brands

Sat May 20, 2006 4:52 am

Hey, mad jamison, thanks for stirring the pot here! It's been real quiet and there's never much discussion about favorite brands for re-usables!

I have to try and not quote everything I wrote in the Diaper Primer but that was intended cover a wide range of people's interests whereas here I can write just about what I like personally!

I favor pin on cloth prefold diapers from Adult Cloth Diaper. I prefer gauze for the softness and absorbancy. Birdseye diapers are my next choice and they are a bit better wearing than gauze and so are a bit more economical.

I don't have a lot of use for pull on diapers, wearing them only for short periods of time as for a doctor's appointment or going for bike ride. Anyone with urge incon who can use a toilet most of the time can make good use of the pull on diaper since they should not get it wet most of the time but it's there if needed. (For more detail, please see the Addendum to the Primer on the home page)

I am not a fan of all-in-ones. I fail to see the benefit of waterproofing permanently attached to the absorbant material. I can see the disadvantage of difficult laundering, short life and more "iffy" protection than wearing separate diapering and waterproof pants.

My favorite waterproof pants are the Kins 6 mil pants which are fairly new. I have elastic band sensitivity (a form or urticaria....again see the Addendum on this topic) so I favor the Kins plastic pants as having waist and leg bands that I can wear comfortably. The regular Kins pants are extremely light....which is nice, but they don't last, which is to be expected with any very thin vinyl pant. You mentioned Comco, so you will be happy to hear the Kins heavy weights are similar but much nicer. Also the Kins have a great fit for cloth diapers-excellent coverage.

You mentioned the ADC plastic pants; they are Gary pants which are a staple plastic pants-available just about everywhere-and widely private labled. I have a problem with the waist bands being overly aggressive for my condition. Gary pants are still excellent pants, well fitting for cloth diapers and available in a huge selection of vinyl materials and MOST IMPORTANT, available in polyurethane (aka urethane) which is plastic film thinner than vinyl but stronger and NOT affected by rash creams and oils.

If you routinely use rash cream, you need urethane pants or you will be replacing your vinyl pants frequently. I get custom made Gary pants, paying a small premium to get Large pants with a XXXL waist band sewn in instead of the much tighter Large waist band.

Suprima deserves honorable mention. The vinyls are absolutely fantastic. They offer a confusing array of "models" so look at the Primer Addendum for Suprima Pants. The nitch where I need my Suprima pants are when wearing shorts, which I love in the warm weather. Cloth diapers have concealment problems with shorts so I stack the deck a bit in my favor by matching plastic pants color to my shorts color. I'll wear bright blue Suprima plastic pants with my bright blue shorts and whether there is a waist band "peek" or an up leg peek, it is so much less noticeable that I am wearing diapers!

Best Protection

Fri May 26, 2006 12:20 am

I agree with JoeK. He gives very sage advice, particularly regarding poly-urethane pants. I am sensitive to plastic and must use some sort of skin protectant or I bust out in red rashes wherever the plasic is contacting my skin for some length of time, but all protectants are petroleum based and ATTACK plastic. I learned this the hard way. I can recommend the pants from, I am sorry for their poor name, Fetware. They cater to who knows who but they have some great pants. I love the idea of getting plastic pants that are the same color as your slacks or shorts so no one can tell what you are wearing. It would cut down on the, "are my plastic pants showing somewhere" paranoia.
Enjoy Memorial Day.
Schoe

Cloth vs disposable

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:47 am

I was born in the late forties and was in cloth diapers and plastic pants 24/7 until I gained daytime control at eleven years old. I have always worn diapers to bed and it's always been cloth diapers except for the few times in the last few years since I've discovered the internet where someone has posted a message on a forum about such and such disposable and how well they work at night.
I always try them with the same result, I sleep on my side and they all leak like a sieve and there nowhere near as comfortable as cloth and my skin really suffers if I don't take a break from disposables by using cloth at night. A couple of years ago I had a heart attack that just about cleaned my clock and I had to go on permanent disability with social security from it. During my stay in the hospital they informed me that I was type II diabetic and would need insulin. They feel I've been diabetic for several years and that's what has caused the heart disease. I hadn't been near a doctor or hospital for about fifteen years before that so I guess it's possible that there right about my having diabetes for so long and not knowing it.
Right after I was released from the hospital I started having a slow continues leak of urine during the day. I asked my urologist about it and after several tests he said it's overflow incontinence from the diabetes. Things had pretty much remained that way with no control at night and dribbling all day long until a few months ago when I started having successively larger voids during the day in addition to the constant dribbling.
I started using attends adjustable underwear during the day but lately they've come up short due to the increased volume that I'm putting out. I have been searching around for a disposable for use during the day and can't find one that suits me. There either too noisy or hotter that blue blazes or they leak through the leg openings when sitting. I started wearing snap on plastic pants over them. The snap type pants seem to be a little cooler then a pull on but not much and as I've said my skin has never tolerated disposables worth a darn anyway so the heat is really becoming a problem with my skin.
I've got to where I'm leaving the middle snaps undone on the pants to get more airflow and still have the pocket in the crotch to catch the leaks. When taking them off the urine runs down both legs and onto the floor so I don't have an answer for that. Given my druthers I'd wear cloth full time but I know from past experience as a kid there is no way for a male to wear cloth diapers without it being obvious. I've tried caths and there out of the question due to the pain they cause. If anyone has a suggestion for a daytime disposable that is quite, resists leaks and has a cover that will allow for some airflow for cooling please let me know.

Re: diapers

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:02 pm

The simple solution, for the guys, is to get rid of diapers and wear a condom catheter and leg bag. My catheters cost .40/day. I wear Colorplast Conveen catheters. I am fairly active and they stay put. I use Conveen bags too. They are baffled so you don't hear sloshing. I have no problems with it. I hear guys have had them and they popped off. They will pop off if your tubing is kinked. They make a double sided tape than can be used to hold it on. I don't have to worry about changing or leaking! My insurance covers them too!
Post a reply