www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cloth backed diapers
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:43 pm 

I have been using the Attends brand breatheable cloth backed diapers. I have always been satisfied with the exception early on with the tapes, but they have improved. It has been my choice for work and being out and about daily. I had read somewhere on this Board about "pin leaks" I have not experienced this until today. I don't normally wear plastic pants over them unless I'm wearing a suit or dry cleanable dress slacks.

I'm hoping this is not the norm, and I noted that I had just opened a new box on the weekend so maybe there are defects in that box and not rampant in other boxes. It does not appear to be a big leak, but I definitely felt it on the outside of my pants and it did not come from around the legs but right in the middle of the diaper. I don't want to resort to plastic pants all the time in the summer, and I don't want to go back to plastic backed diapers for a couple reasons.

If anyone else has experienced this with Attends or other cloth covered diapers let us know your thoughts or remedy.

This is the type of thing that has always frustrated me. Not the major issues, but the ones that crop up just when you think you have everything under control...................not. :?

Take care,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:58 am 

Pinhole leaks are frustraiting, that's for sure! You said you didn't want to resort to plastic pants all the time...especially with summer here and you didn't want to go back to plastic backed diapers.

I don't wear disposables a lot, but my first experience with pin hole leaks was with a plastic backed diaper, so it's a defect found in any disposable diaper, probably caused by something in the diaper making machinery. Diapers are made at high speed, with adjustments being very crucial and the plastic waterproofing is a big cost factor so it is made as thin as possible. I further believe the cloth like backing came out to strengthen the backsheet of the diaper to allow the plastic waterproofing film to be made even thinner, a cost savings, but it also becomes more vulnerable to pin hole leaks.

As you noted, tho, you may have just a package that have the pin holes and thus weep wetness thru. Attends is a big name; you could notify them (thru their website or send a letter or call the 800 number) and they may send you replacement diapers. I'm sure Attends cares about quality control and satisfied customers. If they have a pin hole leak problem, I assume they will quickly fix it and (hopefully) keep a closer eye on the production.

In the meantime, if you wear the leaky diapers you will need waterproof pants but they don't need be plastic. Coated nylon or polyester pants available from Duraline, Babykins, Changing Times Diaper Company and others are more comfortable than pastic pants for summer time. The gentle Lycra bindings on the waist and legs are so much more comfortable than the elastics found on Gary plastic pants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 am 

Thanks Joe,

Good alternative advice, which I will look in to, especially with the nylon type pants.

I agree that Attends would certainly address any quality control issues. In the past (with the tape problem) the vendor addressed it with the manufacturer and immediately replaced the product. I'm going to continue to use those diapers and if the leaks become evident I will address it with the vendor again.

Fortunately, it did not cause any embarassment like the young lady a few weeks ago, and for me would have been an emotional setback. I think you really have to prepare for the worse, however we can get comfortable in our surroundings and can forget accidents and product failures do happen from time to time.

It is great to share information like this since incontinence affects people in different ways and the management issues are becoming unlimited. It wasn't so long ago that we were limited to the McGuire urinal and cloth. I never really had satisfaction with the management issues until the mid 1980's. Anyway, that's another era, and now i have to go get ready to earn my daily living. Again Joe, thanks for your help.

Post subject: Pinhole leaks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:56 am 

Harperlee,
I've had problems with the pin hole leaks on the clothbacked disposable diapers in the past and switched to the plastic backed. That's not to say that you will occasionaly have a small hole in the plastic backed diapers, but atleast you can see it if there is a hole. The cloth backed diapers are impossible to see.

I do use the nylon pants from Babykins. The hold up extremely well and the diaper rash creams will not effect them. Plastic pants will still get brittle at the leg openings even used over a disposable diaper. Just my 2 cents worth! ....Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:34 pm 

Hi Paul,

I wondered if there were other users having the same problems. In retrospect I have been lucky that this has not been an issue with me until now. Sure I have had minor inconveniences, but this is the first leak for me with Attends, unless they were so minor I never noticed. I guess there is more than one reason why people with incontinence wear darker clothing.

The nylon pants are likely the way I am going to go and not have to worry so much. While the thoughts of leaking have been remote, I really don't care to take on another worry and constantly checking behind me, or worse yet be confronted by someone I hardly know.

In regards to the Attends, in my opinion they work great for me. There are other brands that work well too, but the cloth backing really spoiled me. In fact, I find the cloth backed to be more absorbent and comfortable than the older 6 tape style. Too bad they didn't keep the waist band on the cloth backed, but maybe all the more reason to use an overpant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:36 pm 

I despise cloth backed disposables. They sag and chafe my legs something horrible... the velcro "tapes" don't grip well enough to provide a proper fit... plus they tend to seep moisture through the cover.

If I have to wear plastic pants or support pants over a disposable... I'm getting a different brand next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:20 am 

I've had several batches of Molicare's with pin holes over the years. I would agree that it can happen to any of them. I would also agree with the cloth back diapers as they get wet they sage then rub on the inside of your legs and I tend to get that rub burn :x If you wear plastic pants over them it will help. But then why are you wearing cloth backed when your wearing plastic pants :?: I defeats the whole purpose :roll:
My two cents.............Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:24 pm 

I think the use of plastic pants with any disposable diaper is purely an added security, but I really think the intent of the disposable is an all in one, and taking away from the old method of cloth diapers and plastic pants.

I don't ever recall pin hole leaks or reading about such defects whenI used disposables exclusively in the 1980's and early 1990's, which leads me to beleive something has changed in the manufacturing of the diaper. Evidently, this is not solely a problem with Attends, and appears prevalent in other high quality brands.

If you don't use plastic or waterproof pants of some sort, then it just raises your guard to have to change at times when there is still room and time to continue to use the diaper you are using. For me, I would prefer using regular underwear over the diaper, be it plastic or cloth backed. That way, it avoids sags and tell tale bulges. Personally, in the summer months I find cloth backed to be cooler, and I have not had the problems of chafing or rubbing adversely. I run every morning too, for at least an hour. While I don't wear a full diaper, I do use a Tena pull on which is cloth backed, but after I get home I wouldn't want to sit down until I change. Maybe my skin is toughed out, or I run like I just got off a horse!

Essentially, it seems like there are pros and cons in every diaper type, just as there are preferences for different people. Like everyone else, I will always be receptive to any ideas from everyone here. :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:28 pm 

I always thought that the reasoning behind the cloth backed Diaper is it is quiet :?: This week I've been wearing a middle of the road diaper that is a Plastic backed one. I've been wearing plastic pants over it for the fact of the noise. Not so much for the chance of a leak :roll: Without plastic pants you would here me coming at 50 yards :? With plastic pants the noise is hardly notable :wink: I'm not one for pull ups I long since past that stage :( But it seems to me that the Tena Pull up crotch area is a bit more narrow then say the Tena Ultra :?: Which would tend to help as for the sag/rub :cry: Also with the amount of elastic in a pull up I would think it would stay up better then a tape on diaper :?: What's your take on this anyone :?: ................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:31 pm 

Hi Sandy and everyone,

I think that one of the roles for cloth backed diapers is in fact the noise reduction. Whether they are breatheable enough for all users is debateable I suppose, but I find them cooler or at least more airy than plastic backed. I do use both types, but mostly cloth backed for work etc. The other thing for me; I'm rather short waisted and with the cloth backed I can fold over the front part to where the padding starts and tape the 2 top tapes downward, and the lower in an upward fashion. It all makes for a tighter and discreet fit. With the plastic backed, if I were to fold over then the plastic would be against the skin.

I don't hear as much the crinkle many talk about, but I'm conscious of it and find it more notable with dress pants, and less with jeans. More than anything, I despise anything over my waist line. I don't have an odd shape, but probably fall in between most small and medium diapers. I find all the pull-ons way too big, except the small Tena, and Sandy you are correct that the crotch is much more slim than a diaper.

It all boils down to using whatever works, for whatever you plan to do for the day. Pull-ups are useless during the day or night. Changing requires you remove your clothing. Pull-ups are good for light exercise or in my case running, and as learned there is a role for plastic type pants for whatever you are using. Being comfortable, physically and knowing you are using the best, helps the emotional aspect too. Having a leak when you are out to dinner with family or friends, and not being prepared does affect our emotional being as we have read, and experienced.

Take care