www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 4:52 pm 

For reference purposes, I am thinking about the TENA Super briefs. I have used these for a few years now and find them effective and good value for the money (best price from Walmart (Canada)).

The backing feels like paper and yet its strength says it can't be. The tapes can be snugged up without much stretching. Some have suggested that they are actually plastic fibres. So then, I have to ask, if the diaper is all plastic, why are these so much cheaper than an equivalent plastic backed diaper? Weaving a plastic backing has to add cost/process to each brief. Yet the fully plastic backed brief always commands a higher price? I have trouble accepting that it is all marketing/demand related.

I'm really interested to know more about the cloth-backed materials used.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:10 am 

Ok, I can answer my own question here (for completeness) with an answer from another forum.

The backing is made from a spun form of plastic, similar to the concept of cotton candy process. Some briefs may also include a thin layer of barrier plastic, which I believe is absent in the TENA Super.

So I suspect that the cost must be lower for these products, or possibly because they promote the idea of breathabiltiy. I suspect cost is the main driver. So while it might seem like a friendlier environmental choice, it appears not to be. Perhaps there is less plastic involved.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:27 pm 

The reason could be economies of scale, as nowadays vastly more cloth-feel than plastic feel diapers are produced. Also, don't forget that cloth-feel nowadays accounts for most of the institutional, low-absorbency diapers on the market while plastic tends to be high absorbency, which drags the average cost of the former down.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:32 am 

HumanFly wrote:
The reason could be economies of scale, as nowadays vastly more cloth-feel than plastic feel diapers are produced.

I agree on that point.