www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:53 am 

PB&J32

That is one of the biggest problems when using a Foley catheter being sore where it enters the urethra.
There are several things you can try but before using any of this please talk to your doctor for his approval.

One of the first things you need to do is find the best way for you to rough the tubing in your underwear and what kind of underwear you like. I like Depends Perfect fit they are comfortable and fit like regular underwear and just in case you are protected.
We being male have a problem how do we position everything.
The only rule is keeping the catheter from kinking. Some men wear boxer shorts with everything pointing down keeping everything straight this is the most command way it done but it did not work for me.
I like briefs basically I do everything the way I did before the catheter then loop the catheter back up once it is in place I use a safety pin to hold the tubing in place.
“”” don’t put the pin through the tubing but over it so as to not damage it.”””

Second different manufactures of catheters use different compound in the silicone used to make the catheter.
Some catheters are stiffer some are slipper and so on so find a catheter that works the best for you. My two favorite catheters are Bard Silver coated catheters and my most favorite is the Duette.
Bard is a little stiff but comfortable where the Duette is very flexible but it can kink easer.

This one would depend on your doctor.
Catheters need liberation and should be cleaned several times a day. I use baby wipes nonalcoholic. I pull the catheter out as far as I can without hurting myself then wipe it down next I use Neosporin but ask your doctor before using it. It was my doctor who suggested it for me.
I put Neosporin on the red area sore area and on the catheter this really helps.

Here are a few things you can try.

Lyle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:38 am 

Thanks Lyle, I am always wearing regular diapers with the foley, I have had a little bit of bleeding and commonly have some mucous type discharge, so I wouldn't want to wear regular underwear over it, I'd be afraid of ruining my underwear (I rarely wear it anymore, as it is) I use the baby wipes as well to cleanse there, those work really well for me. I have also begun using a neosporin like product on the tip of my penis where the catheter enters (non petroleum based, of course) it has made a world of difference. There is still some redness and irritation but for the most part it has helped the pain immensely. Well worth mentioning.......this has extended the time I am able to be catheterized. Since I am more or less with a foley for comfort more than necessity. I can live without it, I would just spend my life in the bathroom chained to the toilet......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 am 
Chicken, has your question been adequately addressed since you posted it? I use Coloplast condom catheters with great success, but I don't know if you could use those external ones or whether you need a catheter inserted into your bladder. Glad to discuss further if you like.