www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:07 pm 

Yeah, some days are better than others......I can tell you at work, I feel very lucky to get away with just a pad and/or a pull-up..... I'm not comfortable enough to wear tape on diapers to the firehouse. Thankfully I don't need them there. I do wear them at home because I feel that they are more comfortable than wearing a pad and/or A pull-up. With my level of incontinence it is going to have to be a pretty bad accident for me to soak through a diaper which is what I usually have on when I am at home from work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:06 pm 

That is way too much. That is no way to live. How do you manage during a rescue or a fire?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:10 pm 

Well, the 15x in 10 hours was extreme the other day, it's USUALLY not that bad, hopefully won't be that bad when the foley comes out.....foley has been in for 4 days now and had to come out before I go back to work on Sunday for a 34 hour shift.........luckily I am able to hold my bladder to make the toilet.....it's after I go to the toilet that I leak, drip and wet the front of my pants......which happens a lot when you're going a lot. Normal frequency for me is 15x in 24 hours, that's why Monday was so concerning because I went 15x in the first 10 hours of the day.....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:20 pm 

Best of luck to you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:27 pm 

I know there are a LOT of ppl that use a cath, but it doesn't work for me. Anyone that has over flow incontinence and doesn't mine using a cath more power to them, but for those of us that have urine loss in large, small, and everything in between a cath does little good. My health care provider talked me into trying a cath again since it had been several years since the last time I tried. I was certain it would do any good, but maybe my health care provider forgot that I DON'T have over flow incontinence and thought using the cath would work. It helped some, but even after I cathed I would still have have urine loss a few minutes later it just wasn't as much. Plus, I am bowel incon so I still need to wear protection so after the 2nd day of using the cath I gave up on that nonsense and went back to using diapers. I'm sure anyone that uses a cath all the time must get use to inserting that tube and over time must become very proficient in it's use. I HATED that thing and saw no gain in using it since I didn't have over flow incontinence and needed to wear anyway. Besides,....I never heard of anyone getting a UTI because they used diapers. Anyone that uses a cath can't say that. There is something to be said about low tech and easy incon management using diapers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:47 am 

Well, I have a thread on how I'm managing but I'll post it here too......in the last few weeks, I have been cathed 4 more times and have probably spent a lot,of time with a foley in. The urologist, who is out of options for me finally wrote me a prescription for Foley catheters is insurance is paying for all that stuff, it is really expensive. The Bard infection control foley trays are between $75-90 EACH!!!!! I had pretty much free reign over the medical supply stores.....maybe I'll have to try the duette catheter at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:25 pm 

PB&J32

I have been using a Foley catheters for over four years now and I find them very comfortable.
Catheters let me lead a very normal life it is not in the way the only differences I can see if my bladder is on the outside of me instead of inside what can I say it works.
On my doctors advise I used many different catheters trying to find the best catheter for comfort for me but even more important one that helps with infection.

When I first used a Foley I got an infection I would no sooner clear it up and I get another this went on for a year.
What made a difference is the Bard silver antibiotic coted catheter. Once I started using them I did not had one UTI I feel great.

From there I went to the Duette duel balloon catheter and found them to be much more comfortable it was unbelievable at how comfortable they are.
Different catheters feel different do to what they are made of and even different silicone catheters feel different in side you. Some are stiffer some are too soft some need constant liberation some don’t.

One thing most people that are Chronic Foley Catheter User will see blood in the catheter or tubing or bag this is not uncommand in face it is normal to find small blood clots floating there.
Well the Duette cleared all that up I seldom see anything in the tubing or bag it fantastic.

(“Chronic Foley Catheter User”} this is the diagnoses used on my medical records by my doctor.

I don’t know where you got those prices but they are a bit off.
The Bard catheter I used is Bard 1758SI18. This is the coated catheter I used it cost about $15 and insurance pays $13 my copay $0 payment excepted.
The Duette catheter cost about $20 insurance pays I believe $15 my copay $0.

My insurance pays for two Duette catheters a month two insertion trays a month and two day and two night bags a month Bag straps catheter strap my copay I believe is like $20.

With all the problems associated with a Foley catheter most doctors don’t like to prescribe them and only do so when there is no other way out. I hope you were told all the effects they may or may not have to date I doing very well with them and even my doctor is surprise.

I use Liberator Medical for my catheter supplies so far they have treated me very well they are friendly and are prompted in contacting you when it is time to reorder.
I went to them because I wanted the Duette catheter and few places carried them Liberator did.
If you are thinking about trying the Duette catheter you might want to think about going with a company that carries the Duette Liberator dose carry them and they carry most brands.

Lyle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:27 pm 

Update on my situation dealing with a catheter. And looking for assistance.......I have a foley inserted and I am good for several days. But then I noticed some redness and some irritation around the opening of my urethra at the tip of my penis. Then it gets sore and I don't want to deal with the catheter chafing the tip of my penis/opening of my urethra. So I take it out and then I am miserable because I am back in the bathroom several times an hour. I am using statlock catheter holders so there is no issue with the catheter pulling or the tube pulling on the distal end of the catheter. Anybody have a suggestion for how to alleviate this??? I didn't think Foley catheters were going to be a long term solution for me but nothing else seems to work (medications etc) nobody can seem to find anything either.......been to 3 urologists, my PCP, and a nephrologist.....getting ready to see the second nephrologist early next week. So....but I want to make the catheter be more comfortable for the tip of my penis/urethral opening. If anybody has a solution please let me hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:53 pm 

PB&J32 wrote:
Update on my situation dealing with a catheter. And looking for assistance.......I have a foley inserted and I am good for several days. But then I noticed some redness and some irritation around the opening of my urethra at the tip of my penis. Then it gets sore and I don't want to deal with the catheter chafing the tip of my penis/opening of my urethra. So I take it out and then I am miserable because I am back in the bathroom several times an hour. I am using statlock catheter holders so there is no issue with the catheter pulling or the tube pulling on the distal end of the catheter. Anybody have a suggestion for how to alleviate this??? I didn't think Foley catheters were going to be a long term solution for me but nothing else seems to work (medications etc) nobody can seem to find anything either.......been to 3 urologists, my PCP, and a nephrologist.....getting ready to see the second nephrologist early next week. So....but I want to make the catheter be more comfortable for the tip of my penis/urethral opening. If anybody has a solution please let me hear it.

I don't know how you can make things more comfortatble apart from have a suprapubic catheter inserted. (It's a minor surgical prodedure.) That way the catheter only rubs on skin. However, you need to resolve the problems you have first of all and decide on the best course of maangement if treatment isn't possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:31 pm 

I don't think that's really an option for me as I work full time ++ as a firefighter......I use catheters to manage at home when I am miserable of hitting the toilet every 15 minutes........thankfully my wife being an ER nurse is able to insert foleys any time I need her to, she just finished putting one in for me. I have been having a miserable day being very active, I have needed to be in the bathroom every 15-20 minutes all afternoon and I think I've had 2-3 glasses of water because I know I'm peeing everything out and it's in the high 80's low 90's outside.......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next