www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone tried a catheter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:38 pm 

my dr suggested that i might try a foley catheter for a break from diapers, just curious if anyone has tried it and if they liked it. thanks for your replies
Brad

Post subject: catheters
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:09 pm 

Chicken,
I'm surprised no one has replied to your question yet, but her's my view.
A foley catheter is used a lot when you're in the hospital for an extended stay. This type catheter has a little ballon on the end that is in your bladder to keep in in your bladder. So it's suppose to be in you for a while.
I had one in me during some prosate surgery some years ago. Now I have self cathed myself a few times when I wanted to get my bladder empty. It's not too comfortable doing this, but it will empty your bladder. keep in mind, too, that you're putting yourself for a chance of an infection if this is done often. Things need to be sterile to prevent an infection.
My advise? I wouldn't do it. They are uncomfortable and you're at risk of an infection. Just my two cents worth!! ......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:43 am 

I was in the hospital following a back injury several years ago, and became very ill due to an infection caused by the catheter. I would NOT recommend the use of a catheter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:00 pm 

IMHO catheters are a big pain in the arse... they're not comfortable and do carry significant risk of infection... I'll keep my diapers thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:23 pm 

i second this opion..while i havent been cathed with a foley, i have been strait cathed, and had a cytoscope in me which i was told was the size of a foley cath. Aftewrward, it HURT! it burned when i peed for 2 days, which is doubly worse when ur incontinent, and cant anticipate when u will wet and thus burn.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:06 pm 

I actually like catheters myself. My StrataSI is the most comfortable catheter made.

Post subject: Re: catheters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:21 am 

Paul Martin wrote:
Chicken,
I had one in me during some prostate surgery some years ago. Now I have self cathed myself a few times when I wanted to get my bladder empty. It's not too comfortable doing this, but it will empty your bladder. keep in mind, too, that you're putting yourself for a chance of an infection if this is done often. Things need to be sterile to prevent an infection.
My advise? I wouldn't do it. They are uncomfortable and you're at risk of an infection. Just my two cents worth!! ......Paul Martin

Having done self cathing some years ago for quite a while I can say that sterile is not actually needed in most cases. All I needed to do was wash my hands well, then use a reusable catheter (14F Coude tip). I did have to take a low dose of antibiotic all the time though, but I would have had to do that eve with sterile caths and field.
However, it just wasn't for me as it sometimes hurt and caused some bleeding.
I've also tried some meds, Ditropan was one as was the spray at bedtime. Neither was very good. Ditropan caused too much dry mouth, I couldn't even eat a bite without water in my mouth. The night spray just changed when I wet from night to more during the day. Back to diapers and pads for me.
I did try Foleys but my bladder spasm's so much that I leaked around them no matter what unless I took more meds to paralyze the bladder. Just too much trouble to be worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:30 am 

I tried using a catheter a few times and developed a UTI 3 out 4 times. For me I have no problems wearing and using cloth diapers, just my normal underwear of choice now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:52 pm 

I have been using a Foley catheter for a year and half prescribed by my urologist for a flaccid bladder with retention which means I cannot urinate at all on my own.
Yes there are a lot that can go wrong with using a Foley the number one being infections which I had my share. But to me they are comfortable much cleaner than sitting in wet diapers and do not show under clothing plus it is more excepted by the medical people.
Using a Foley catheter for so long my bladder which at one time would hold more than 1500cc or more of urine will only hold stoneware around 200cc it has shrunk that much.
No I would never recommend one for anyone unless it was totally necessary and there were no other options.

2lyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:13 am 

hi,

i have had a catheter for 4 years now and although i had initial problems i have managed to cope very well.

with catheters you need to keep on top of infections.

in my case i have a catheter which can be clamped meaning i can still go to the toilet as normal, although clamping after all this time would result in flooding.

with me it is now a mix of catheters and diapers.

remember that if you opt for a catheter then if you can't manage it can all ways be removed which is one advantage of them.

mike