www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pull On Recomendations?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:12 am 

Typically I use the Abena Abri Form Premium Briefs M3's

I would like to try some pull ups, and was thinking about the Abena Abri-Flex 3 Pull-on Underwear.

I've tried some other brands of pull ons in the past and most seem to not fit my equipment well, but the Abena briefs fit me very well, almost pouch-like and are comfortable.

Are the Abena pull ons similar in design, basically to the briefs, but made into a pull on with the elastic sides?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 pm 

Hugh,

Some time back I tested the better disposable pull-ups. iMHO the Abena Abri-Flex pull-ups were the best. The sizing accommodates male genitals, good internal standing leak guards, and good absorbency. Overall quality is excellent. The absorbency is good for a pullup but less than the Abena Abriform taped diapers.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:41 pm 

I used the Abri-Flex for over a year, until my incon outgrew them. They were comfortable and far more absorbent than any retail product. They offered the most comfortable fit and were not abrasive to my skin.

I wish I had them again, as I'm stuck on vacation with only Depends. (I got a nasty cold and the antibiotics have given me an irritated bowel...)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 pm 

I've also used the plastic backed M4s as well as the abri-flex M3 and they both fit me very well the only times I've had issues with them is when I have a high volume in a short period accident which for me usually only happens on mediocre days where I try to hold it too long and something causes the dam to figuratively burst which led to some leaking because it didn't absorb quickly enough so it overflowed the standing leak guards but 95% of the time it has worked well for me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:29 am 

I am female, so males' experiences will vary somewhat, but those of you who have not used the Abena in several months to a year or more (depending on your supplier's stock), be aware that the Abri-Flex were redesigned. They are tighter and the back and leg cuffs appear to be shorter in the same size. I used them as my primary product for many years and always came back to them whatever I tried, but after attempting to continue to use them for the time it took me to go through two cases, I could no longer do so. I am currently trying Northshore GoSupreme and Wellness, which are not as good as the old AbriFlex but better for me than the new AbriFlex. Previously, I considered Tranquility a second choice after Abena, though not the preferred one. Assuming it has not changed also, that might also be a possibility that is pretty good and less expensive than Abena. But I have not used it in quite a long time so don't know if I would still consider it in the same light. Seni was previously my third choice, although again, haven't used it in a while.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 am 

Zenute,

Thanks for the very useful information about the Abri-flex pull-ups. I still use them, but they are not my primary product as I normally use tabbed diapers. I do rely on pull-ups when I have medical appointments that will require giving the practitioner access to my diaper area (dermatologist, etc.). However, in those cases I make every effort to pee in the toilet, if I am able to do so, in order to have a dry pullup at the time of the examination.

--John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:30 pm 

I've not been much of a pull-ups user due to heavy bladder voids at times that I found pull-up unable to handle well.

That is, until more recently. I've come to use pull-ups at times fortified with a slide in 'booster' or two and plastic pants covering.
(I still have some COMCO -- along with Gary and Leakmaster).

Still, when I hear of recent changes to an old standby (the Abena pull-ups), it again leads me into a search for an effective alternate.

When possible, I use tape-tab diapers or even cloth, both with inserts for longer times away from toilet areas. I've learned to know
and find protection options, based on expected activity or where I'll be located.

Sometimes, when an 'old reliable' product makes alterations in fit and function, it drives us back onto the market where new trial
and error will help us find a better product we might have overlooked.

Meanwhile, I'll continue being resourceful and on the lookout for what's new and better.

John.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:29 pm 

When I wear a pull-up the Abena Abri-Flex has been my go to diaper. However my supply of them (and they are the older "good?" ones) is running low and I recently ordered a pack of the new Northshore Go Supreme pull-ups to try out. I probably should have asked this before ordering but can anyone here relate their experience with the new Northshore's compared to the "new" Abri-Flex pull-ups? Of course once I get some experience with the Northshore Go Supreme's I'll post that info here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:45 pm 

I started using the abri-flex in September so not sure if it was the old ones or the new ones but they worked fine for me other than the occasional issue like I mentioned below

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 pm 

The older version, apparently discontinued has an item number 41075 on one end of each bag, at least in the U.S. The newer version is 41085. I don't know why the changes were made, but they don't work for me.

This is an excerpt of my review of the Northshore GoSupremes, as posted in a different thread here last November. They are not the same model as the FlexSupreme, which I previously found disappointing.

"I didn't know what to expect, as the FlexSupremes were disappointing when they first came out. I don't know if NorthShore has made improvements to the FlexSupremes since then, but the GoSupremes have fuller coverage. At first, I wore them with an extra layer of PUL over them and some Abena cotton/spandex fixing pants, but they do work, so I have gone back to just the fixing pants only adding the PUL if I am going to be somewhere for several hours where I don't know the restroom situation.

I have found that these work for both multiple minor-moderate bladder leaks and for single major, leaks, which for me would be 150-200 cc, minor bowel incon as well. Have not had a worst case bowel incident, which are rare for me, while using these, so cannot say about that.

I found the GoSupremes to be comfortable. With the new Abena Abri-Flex fit, I frequently had the sensation that they were falling down, even when they weren't, something that I never experienced with using the old fit for years. The cloth-like covering on the GoSupremes is a bit rougher in texture and less soft than many other brands, so people with heightened sensory issues around that may find that annoying, but I didn't. A positive point for me was that the GoSupremes, even in the same size, are smaller and less bulky than most of the other premium brands with similar performance. I am not one to care much about bulges; no one sees and I have never been asked except occasionally in a TSA airport search, but in some less forgiving clothes, that might matter to some.

For me, the smaller bulk is an advantage in storage (limited space), carrying around supplies (physical limitations as to the weight I can handle at any given time) , and slightly more discreet disposal when sharing communal space with non-family members. Even if they are somewhat aware of one's medical issues, one doesn't want others to have to encounter or deal with one's used items in the trash. I have a bag for my supplies that can fit into my usual travel bag and be folded up as the supplies are depleted. Usually, I could fit 6 Abriflex in there. With the GoSupremes, 10 fit easily.

Possible downsides. Item for item, the GoSupremes are more expensive than other premiums. I'm guessing this is because it is a house brand that doesn't have as much distribution as other brands. The cases are smaller, 56 vs. 72 or 84 in its competitors so one has to order more at one time or replenish more often. I have had good experiences with Northshore as a seller through Amazon (where there items are often less expensive or equal to their own website) and have no reason to believe that they will not be there long term, but depending on a house brand that is not readily available from multiple sources may not be in everyone's comfort zone.

Overall, I like these and will use them again in the future, although I am still determining my current top brand, which is, unfortunately, no longer Abena."