www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pads but a small problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:13 pm 

I wear a pad all the time. These are available in many shapes and sizes and with different absorbencies. Mine are for moderate to heavy incontinence with an absorbency of up to 1,600 ml. Overall, they measure 63x30cm. The absorbent part is about 55cm. in length and 18cm. wide, widening to 25cm at the front and back. Inside are two elasticated expanding pockets about 2.5cm.deep 18cm. apart extending the whole length of the absorbent area to prevent spillage. The absorbent area is surrounded by a strong margin 2.5cm. wide for gripping to adjust the position of the pad.

The pad is held in place by unisex net fixation knickers. They are similar to women's full-sided net briefs with no gusset. Because the legs tend to be tight, I buy a large size. I rarely pass urine through my urethra. I have faecal leakage only occasionally, most usually immediately after a bowel evacuation which has not fully emptied my bowel.

I wonder whether others have a similar problem and whether the same happens when wearing diapers. Perhaps longer pads are available?

Last edited by Barry on Sun May 01, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:43 am 

Hi Barry

this is a comon problem for us guys when wearing pads or diapers early on when managing bladder controll issues as the extra padding causes friction down there when you move and then causes erections. over time as your body adapts to the padding you should notice less and less reactions to the extra padding.
Abena has a over sized pad that may work for you in the mean time or you could try a full tapped diaper to see if they would work better for you.

When dealing with incontinence issues its always a learning experience with a lot of trial and errors before we find the correct protection we need .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:14 am 

Thank you Robert. I thought it must be a common problem, particularly for men who pee via the normal route who must be in a big majority compared with us catheter users. I will try your suggestions. Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:27 am 

Hi Berry,

I also wear mostly pads because they work fine for me. Luckily I don't need a catheter - how ever the problem is similar. The solution for me was:

a) The pad: They have often a larger back side because most of them are not optimized to the males anatomy. So you can try to turn them upside down so the larger side is in front of you. This often helps a lot.

b) The Problem itself: This was one of the reasons why I started using diapers over the night time in stead of pads. I wouldn't say that they diapers are 100% save but with them I have a wet bed maybe one or two time a month instead of one or two times a week...

@RobertH: I don't think the friction is the problem. Normally you a couple of erections over the night - you just don't recognize it because you are sleeping. So this have nothing to do with the protection you wear but will happen anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:28 pm 

Hi All

Erections can be terrible a nuisance the trick I do is to ensure that my penis is pointed down into in my case the diaper and when and erection does occur everything is contained within the diaper.

Rather than pads you might want to try an active slip such as Attends!

Taped products ensure that everything is kept snugly in place!

As far as infection and contamination is concerned this is down to proper hydration and personal hygiene with Covid-19 this is even more important now as health systems are under so much pressure and might be unavailable!

Hope this helps.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:03 pm 

Off topic, but "stiffies" are the worst when you have a catheter inserted. I went through that in the hospital a few decades ago and the memory of it lingers on! I was a younger man then, so it was more of a problem.