www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:18 pm 

Hi, all. I used to post here but not in a year or so. For those of you who don't remember me and my specifics, I am female, partially but unpredictably bladder incon ranging from sudden and heavy to intermittent smaller leaks throughout the day and night, occasional sudden bowel leakage, and now unpredictable late perimenopausal bleeding. Because of disability limitations and because it is not full incon and need to use the toilet when possible, can't really use briefs, but need something relatively extended wear. I work in a professional job, travel occasionally, can't carry around or store a lot outside my home. Over the years, have tried various pull ons, pads, belted things, cloth, etc and eventually settled on Abena Abri-Flex which is not perfect, considering I can't really change until the end of the day if out, but the best I can do given the situation and products out there. I also like that in the Abena cases, there are fairly large quantities relative to other brands, so with my needs, one case lasts quite a while.

Recently, as some of you know, something changed in the Abriflex. it's tighter. the back is not as high, etc. Leaking more with less volume. I have to restock with something soon. I see Northshore has the new GoSupreme line. I like Northshore as a vendor, but their FlexSupremes were very disappointing sometime back. Are the GoSupremes worth a try or more of the same? I'm not sure how reliable reviews on their own website are, and unlike some of their products, this one isn't on Amazon or elsewhere.

I know a lot of of you are in different situations from mine and don't use pull ons, but putting it out there. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:32 pm 

(There is) No joy in having your 'tried and true' incon protection change fit and effectiveness.

It's happened to me, too. Thus, always the search for something better when the standby is not a constant.

My 'sources' hint that many more of the REARZ products are gaining favor in the incon community.
Only problem is that this is a Canadian company and there are shipping and customs costs to consider
when ordering from them.

Perhaps by now a new outlet or two has located within the USA to simplify the international hurdles,
allowing us to order the newer REARZ products at competitive cost.

If anyone knows this, please pass the info along as I'd be a willing 'trial' customer beyond the few
samples I've so far been able to use.

thanks, all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 am 

john1050 wrote:
My 'sources' hint that many more of the REARZ products are gaining favor in the incon community.
Only problem is that this is a Canadian company and there are shipping and customs costs to consider
when ordering from them.

Perhaps by now a new outlet or two has located within the USA to simplify the international hurdles,
allowing us to order the newer REARZ products at competitive cost.

If anyone knows this, please pass the info along as I'd be a willing 'trial' customer beyond the few
samples I've so far been able to use.

Hey John,

There are two US Rearz distributors (that I know of), CooshieTooshiez and DiaperDrawer. You may be able to find some stuff there on sale, if you move fast and buy it today!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 am 

Hey guys. Hate to be a negative Nancy here but let's tread lightly with the REARZ post here. We have already established they have a plain white version in other post. Sharing more sites that are 90% or more on the other side of this is flirting with a line we don't want to go to.

Just saying.

Rope

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:00 pm 

I'll try to stay on the "right side" with this post...
I can vouch for the quality and capacity of the all-white Rearz Inspire diapers which I recently purchased from Diaper Depot in Atlanta. Although the fit wasn't quite perfect for me it held an enormous amount. However the price was well over $2 per diaper and from a price/performance standpoint it really makes no sense for me to purchase more as there are other all-white premium diapers (ex. Dry 24/7) out there that basically hold the same amount and at a much lower price.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:20 pm 

Zenute,

Just before the shoulder surgery I ordered samples of just about every brand and version I could get my hands on. The GoSupremes were the ones I went with. I don't normally care for pull up styles but I needed a good back up if I could not get help with the tab style and the GoSupremes were one of the thickest, had leak guards and had the best fit of everything I tried. The pull up had a comfortable full cut unlike most of the others I tried. I ended up ordering a case and ended up not really needing them but it's always good to have a dependable pull up near by. They say they are made for night time protection but I have found unless I'm sitting up or standing they can leak at times.
Hope this helps a little.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:01 pm 

Thank you all. I will look into these options. Very disappointing about the Abriflex. Always came back to them whatever I tried for several years, as 97% of the time, minimal or no leaks regardless of position, even if a sudden and complete flood occurred, and with smaller leaks, very quick absorption such that very shortly, one didn't feel it anymore. Now, lose 50 cc in the "wrong" position and it's like any other cheap brand, leaking out the back or out the leg holes, even with leak guards. Why import an expensive premium brand for that?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:47 pm 

Hello, all. It's been a while, but I just wanted to update here for everyone's future reference and say that I did try the GoSupremes and in my experience of about 2 months full time, they do pretty well for me. I didn't know what to expect, as the FlexSupremes were disappointing when they first came out. I don't know if NorthShore has made improvements to the FlexSupremes since then, but the GoSupremes have fuller coverage. At first, I wore them with an extra layer of PUL over them and some Abena cotton/spandex fixing pants, but they do work, so I have gone back to just the fixing pants only adding the PUL if I am going to be somewhere for several hours where I don't know the restroom situation.

I have found that these work for both multiple minor-moderate bladder leaks and for single major, leaks, which for me would be 150-200 cc, minor bowel incon as well. Have not had a worst case bowel incident, which are rare for me, while using these, so cannot say about that.

I found the GoSupremes to be comfortable. With the new Abena Abri-Flex fit, I frequently had the sensation that they were falling down, even when they weren't, something that I never experienced with using the old fit for years. The cloth-like covering on the GoSupremes is a bit rougher in texture and less soft than many other brands, so people with heightened sensory issues around that may find that annoying, but I didn't. A positive point for me was that the GoSupremes, even in the same size, are smaller and less bulky than most of the other premium brands with similar performance. I am not one to care much about bulges; no one sees and I have never been asked except occasionally in a TSA airport search, but in some less forgiving clothes, that might matter to some.

For me, the smaller bulk is an advantage in storage (limited space), carrying around supplies (physical limitations as to the weight I can handle at any given time) , and slightly more discreet disposal when sharing communal space with non-family members. Even if they are somewhat aware of one's medical issues, one doesn't want others to have to encounter or deal with one's used items in the trash. I have a bag for my supplies that can fit into my usual travel bag and be folded up as the supplies are depleted. Usually, I could fit 6 Abriflex in there. With the GoSupremes, 10 fit easily.

Possible downsides. Item for item, the GoSupremes are more expensive than other premiums. I'm guessing this is because it is a house brand that doesn't have as much distribution as other brands. The cases are smaller, 56 vs. 72 or 84 in its competitors so one has to order more at one time or replenish more often. I have had good experiences with Northshore as a seller through Amazon (where there items are often less expensive or equal to their own website) and have no reason to believe that they will not be there long term, but depending on a house brand that is not readily available from multiple sources may not be in everyone's comfort zone.

Overall, I like these and will use them again in the future, although I am still determining my current top brand, which is, unfortunately, no longer Abena.

Last edited by zenute on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:00 pm 

zenute, thank you for your in-depth and concise assessment of Northshore GoSupreme. I'm an Abri-Flex user as well. I agree with you that the change in them is not for the better, but I've been doing okay with them. Good to know that there's a viable alternative, should I decide to switch.

W.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:04 pm 

This thread underlines, for me, the insight that nothing is permanent. Brands that have worked perfectly for the longest time can change, occasionally for the worse. We need to remain flexible, and be familiar with the widest range of products that work for us.