www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Booster Pads?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:27 am 

I was wondering about maybe buying some booster pads to use especially with my daytime pull ups but also possibly with my nighttime diapers. I was wondering what are the best brands available. In terms of quality and cost

Post subject: Re: Best Booster Pads?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:53 am 

Greengold,

I do not have much experience using booster pads with pull-ups, but I have used them for years with my tabbed diapers.

Over time I probably have tried them all and have found NorthShore Care's own booster pads to be the best for my needs. I buy them in multiple sizes so that I can select the exact amount of added absorbency I need for each occasion.

However, I recommend that at first you buy some of the "small" size booster pads as they will give you 15 ounces of absorbency. Size "Medium" will give you 18 ounces of absorbency and "Large" will give you 21 ounces of absorbency. That being said, booster pads are like our diapers. The absorbency in the rear part of our diapers usually is underused. The same is true for booster pads. The rear portion of a medium or large booster pad may go unused. That wastes absorbency - and money. In contrast, a "small" booster pad may be 100% used.

Another consideration is the space between the internal standing leak guards in your diaper. If the booster pad totally fills that space it may prevent urine from effectively reaching the diaper's own very absorbent mat. IMHO, a well-chosen booster pad should leave about 1/2 to 3/4" of space on either side of the booster pad to allow urine to make direct contact with the diaper's absorbent mat. The NorthShore Care diapers have a generous amount of space between the internal standing leak guards. A "medium" booster pad fits there with space to spare. A "large" will fit there but with minimum space left. I should note that I do use size "large" booster pads when I will be away from home and need 6+ hours of absorbency. I will add that, due to my severe chronic constipation, I have to remain well-hydrated and thus the diaper alone will not last long enough. When I teach my afternoon and evening ESL classes I have to allow for travel time + class time. That usually is about 6 1/2 to 7 hours. A large booster pad is very effective in that type of situation. :)

--John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 am 

thanks for the reply. Yesterday I had a leak with my abena pull ons for the first time and my first major wetting incident on campus it was right as I was leaving to go back to my apartment and it wasn't a major leak. I think it had more to do with the fact that it was a high volume short time incident rather than a just wetting more than the product would hold I think I went so much so fast that it overflowed the standing leak guard. I was wondering if booster pads would help with this issue?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:10 am 

I've used pads with my pull-ups and my advice would be to use the smallest width wise. A lot of pull-ups are a bit thin in the crotch and exactly as JD mentioned you don't want to interfere with the the leak guards or even come very close them or the elastic leg bands. I too use the Northshore Care Supply booster pads and the extra small size seems to work best for me.
FYI... I usually don't take the adhesive strip cover off when I put them in my pull-up (or diaper). That way I can easily pull them out and dispose of them or add another pad if I feel that I still need additional capacity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:23 pm 

greengold, I, too, use Abri-Flex pull-ups for daytime urge (urinary) incon (and night wetting). I use boosters as well, but not always. The best "boosters" I've found are house-brand pads sold at drug and grocery stores. They're low-priced and readily available. Most if not all of the store brands seem to be made by a company called First Quality Retail Services LLC. Our local drug store chain doesn't market its own product lines or put its name on the many off-brand products it sells. That store sells "Prevail" brand urinary incontinence pads, which are made and distributed by First Quality Retail Services LLC. IMO, the First Quality pads perform better than Tena and Poise, which are the National brands, but First Quality costs a lot less.

W.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:45 pm 

But aren't those pads plastic backed if fluid doesn't flow through the pad into the absorbent product under it I don't see the point

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:12 pm 

I've also used "Male Guard" pads as boosters and found they can hold at least one and sometimes two wettings on their own. However Greengold4 is right that these kinds of pads have a plastic back and don't allow flow-thru so what I do is cut a few slits into the backing. In addition I don't remove the adhesive strip cover so I can easily remove (and replace if desired) the soaked pad. As always you have to try several different combinations to see what works best for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:49 pm 

I also use Depend male guards as boosters. I use a utility knife to cut two slits in the plastic backing so they will be a flow through. I found that they are the least expensive and are easy to get at most drug stores. Also you can go on the Depend web site and get a coupon to save even more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:53 am 

Yes, they're not difficult to cut. Some people do it with baby diapers as well (but I think that works better with tabbed diaper "briefs" than it does with pull-ups). Another thing I've done is to stick an uncut pad inside the pull-up on top of a minor wetting, to quickly provide me with a clean and dry surface that can last an hour or so. In fact, I did that a couple of times this past weekend when I was camping.

W.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:58 pm 

I like the medium and large northshore brand of booster pads. I use the medium during the day at work and the large overnight or when traveling or when I feel like I might need extra protection. In a pinch I have used tena or always pads. I used the Depends boost ups for a while, those things were stiff, like sitting on a brick! I didn't like the abri-let maxi very much because I always felt wet, plus the length was far more than I needed during the day. The Attends booster pads were also quite good.