www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:14 am 

Hi all,

I know I should be grateful but I'm not. Bear with me here...

I saw the local incontinence nurse a couple of weeks ago and she's sourced for me 5x Tena Slip Super cloth backed pads per day via the NHS. The relief of not having to spend the money is huge, however, the Tena Slip leak reguarly. Previously when I was sourcing my own I was using the ID Sip super with a PE backing. These I could trust. Yes they leaked occasionally but not often. The Tena Slip I have a leak most days and I'm always concerned when I feel myself starting to wet that I'm going to leak. I don't think the NHS will provide anything different.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make these better or at least reduce the risk of leaks?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:30 pm 

Drew,

Wear plastic pants. Insert a small booster pad.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:51 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Drew,

--John

Thanks John, I was thinking of investing in some plastic pants. As for a booster pad, I've not heard of them. What would I be looking for?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:40 am 

Drew,

Booster pads, also called “doublers” or “stuffers,” are absorbent pads that are added inside a diaper to increase the diaper’s overall total absorption. The pads may be rectangular in form or contoured in an hourglass shape to be narrower in the crotch. The pads are placed inside the disposable diaper on top of the diaper’s own absorbent mat, between the leak guards. The booster pad usually sticks to the diaper’s mat by means of an adhesive. The booster pad is not waterproof so, once it has become saturated with urine, it passes additional liquid through to the diaper’s regular absorbent mat. Do note that booster pads are not the same as incontinence pads (which are inserted into the user’s own underwear).

Booster pads markedly increase the time between diaper changes and can save money by requiring fewer changes in a day. Some users change just the pads when they are saturated, extending the length of use of the diaper itself significantly. This works with pads that do not have an adhesive and is easier for those wearing pullup diapers.

For best efficiency, men should position a booster pad higher in the front of the diaper than women.

Some doublers absorb a considerable amount of urine, as much as some diapers. Most booster pads come in sizes, rated for absorbency, such as 12 oz., 16 oz., and even 32 oz.! Booster pads cost much less than diapers and their use can markedly lower the price per ounce for incontinence protection. A booster pad can really improve the absorbency of a less expensive diaper. However, a better quality diaper may be a better and less expensive choice than using a less expensive diaper plus a large booster.

Drew, experiment first with small booster pads. They cost less and their added absorbency should be 100% used.

I do not know UK suppliers, but take a look at this supplier in the U.S.
http://www.northshorecare.com/boosters1.html

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:16 am 

Drew,
To echo what JD said (I cannot find these on the high street any longer!) see http://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/inc ... -pads.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 pm 

I had some issues years ago as I needed the tena flex belted design to be able to do them independently but they said they only had super as maximum absorbency and not maxi. Still I'd ask if they can give you maxi or ultima. There is also now tena slip active which is plastic backed. I buy tena Ultima myself but it's just for when my catheter blocks (i start bypassing everything) so I doubt the nhs would prescribe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:35 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Drew,

--John

I'm allergic to plastic and can't wear certain clothes, so I tried the Tena brand (this ones). I've done well and I've never had any problems. If anyone knows of a better option, I appreciate it.
Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:00 am 

I get the ID super PE backed from my NHS trust no problems. I called them up when tena went cloth and told them I would need a lot more of them because they are rubish and gave them two names of PE ones and they changed no problems.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:14 am 

Drew81 wrote:
Hi all,

I know I should be grateful but I'm not. Bear with me here...

I saw the local incontinence nurse a couple of weeks ago and she's sourced for me 5x Tena Slip Super cloth backed pads per day via the NHS. The relief of not having to spend the money is huge, however, the Tena Slip leak reguarly. Previously when I was sourcing my own I was using the ID Sip super with a PE backing. These I could trust. Yes they leaked occasionally but not often. The Tena Slip I have a leak most days and I'm always concerned when I feel myself starting to wet that I'm going to leak. I don't think the NHS will provide anything different.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make these better or at least reduce the risk of leaks?

I had no problems with the Maxi variant. Try it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:32 am 

Contact them and say you need a PE backing. I did when Tena went cloth and changed to ID super.PE. they are not bad.