www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: open to suggestion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:59 am 

I am hoping to find a better match on a diaper for an active guy. It appears diapers are not designed for males and physical active. Or at least diapers are not designed for my body type. Another problem is I am somewhat in between sizes. The pull up style is prefect for physical activities like hiking, camping, canoeing, biking, gym, and etc. Pull ups I can even jog in. However for me it does not absorb fast enough it will leak around the legs opening with one heavy void accident, and it must be changed after the first void. A lot of time spent changing and not productive at work. I switched over to wearing my tape sided night time diaper during the day, but it has not been an easy transition. It is easier to change and I can wait until lunch time for the first changing (cheaper). Possibly this is wrong but I will admit by lunch time my diaper is pretty much spent (filled). It is nice changing at lunch for the men’s room is empty while everyone is out eating. Keeping diapering discreet has become a challenge especial since I have become more active and out going. I started wearing my Tena ultra during the day. I like its breathable style great absorbance. However it is too bulky for daytime and it becomes matted between my legs. One other issue I noticed urine well pool in the crotch before absorbing in. After trying a sample of Tranquility ATN I switched, but I have issues with this as well. I like that it is far less bulky great for sit down job and walking hate the plastic backing (noise). I also have problems with the waist. The two diapers combined make the perfect diaper. It seems my bladder is more active during the times I am most active mainly the morning hours. Mediums are too small and large are too big. I wear the large diapers for I feel more secure with padding around the sides. To get a snug fit around my legs I must wear my diaper high up above my waist line. The ATN comes far up on my abs making it hard to maintain a tight waist fit for a guy with a few extra pounds on him. The waist rolls down on me as I start my day. Too much stress on the tape makes the white separate from the blue. I also experienced tape poping open with the Tena. Quality diapers are expensive so I like waiting until lunch time before changing. I also would prefer one diaper for day and night not purchasing different types. With the roll down of the waist and not having much of a rear to hold my diaper up my diaper starts to slide down on me when it is wet. The sliding down effect combined with tapes poping open has resulted in me losing my diaper and not at good times. Babies are very active physically and I do not know of any parents mentioning issues with diapers not staying on. You never see a baby or toddler playing on a playground and their diaper falling off. I am not sure what I am doing that is wrong. I know when I start out I have a snug fit. I do not wish to be the person holding others up because I am having diapering issues on outings. One should be able to just put it on and go about his daily activity/routine regardless of whether his diaper is dry or wet. Product polls do not address active individuals. A friend suggested when it comes to biking and hiking not wear anything just let it happen in my shorts. It is easy to say that but I am not comfortable with that because than I am going around in urine soaked shorts not to mention socks and shoes. I hope someone can offer up what would be a good diaper for me. Other suggestions are more than welcome as well. Thanks!

Post subject: finding the right diaper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:00 am 

Hi steph_39,
Sounds like you have a lot of issues here. I don't have any problems like you, so it'll be tough for me to offer a suggestion. I have used the Tena Ultra before and had great success with it. And the Tranquility diapers are about as good, but I agree that the plastic face can be noisey.
I think spme of your problems could be solved by using a cloth diaper, but that's not practical in your situation especially during the day. I have switched to cloth diapers at night and have had great success with them. I'm very active myself, and generally don't have any problems. I bike and I swim. Hopefully there are some other members on this forum who may be able to offer some help. Good Luck! ................Paul Martin

Post subject: open to suiggestion
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:58 pm 

I suggest very strongly that you read chapter 1B in the Primer. I am very confident that using cloth diapers will answser the vast majority ,if not all, of the problems you have stated. The only drawback to cloth is the need for laundering, but that is far outweighed by the elimination of all the other negatives that you have experienced with disposables. If you do try the cloth diapers, please let us know the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:32 pm 

Thanks for the advice Westley and Paul much appreciated. I read about the cloth, but have many questions. I have no experience with using cloth. There are many different types and sizing issues. Bulk at home is not so much an issue for me for I think I have gotten over the whole seeing myself in a bulky diaper. I would not what to purchase first. HOw many layers of cloth and do you pin each one. I change standing up. Can I go hiking in a cloth diaper? What keeps urine from pooling in the plastic pants? I am 6'3" 40" waist what size cloth works? What is the best place to learn how to pin a diaper on? Thanks!

Post subject: Cloth Diapers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:48 am 

Stephen,
My favorite cloth diaper is the flat prefold gauze diaper from ACD(Adult Cloth diaper). I wear a medium and have a 36" waist. I'm also 6'-3". You probably need a large. I adjust my needs with this diaper with cloth baby diapers. As I wear these at night, I'll usually add two or three with the adult size gauze. For day time use, these work well too, but my be a little bulky at the office. I think they would do OK while hiking too. As long as the diaper is not too small, mine stay on with no problem pinned.
As far as pooling at the bottom of your plastic pants, the majic of wicking will prevent that. Now if you have a huge flood all at once, you may get some pooling. Over time, the cloth diaper wicks the urine untill most of the diaper is wet. You'll have some trial and error, but I really love cloth diapers. The primer on this site shows a way to pin on a diaper, but I can get by with just two pins. Any other questions, just ask! .....Paul Martin

Post subject: Velcro diaper?
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:32 am 

Hi Paul and Steph_39

What about velcro on diapers? I think maybe they could address your fit problem you experience with the tape on disposables. And far easier than pinning...tho if you do try pinning on the great diapers Paul mentions, the four pin method may be better. The lower two pins act as leg bands, so to speak, for the cloth diaper, while the two upper pins act as the waist band.

JoeK

Post subject: open to suggestions
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:42 pm 

Hello Steph_39
I'm new here and also to wearing protection during the day. Your voiding seems to be similar to mine. I suffer from Urge Incontinence and as such, I get an urgent need to get to the loo, followed by the involuntarily complete emptying of my bladder. My voids are heavy and can't be stopped. Like you, I'm also very active and it's important that I can rely on the security of the protection. Recently I've heard many talk about using a baby diaper inside of your main diaper. the favoured baby diaper of choice seems to be a Pampers size 6, as these apparently soak up huge amounts of urine without leaking. People say that they will handle a total bladder void easily, without leaking. Then they pop along to a loo, pull out the baby diaper and slip another in.
Chapter 1A: Disposable Diapers in our primer here talks about this in detail and gives step by step details on how to do it. It also gives other ideas on how to extend change times.
I'm considering getting some Pampers and giving it a try, as they are fairly cheap to buy and it may keep me in dry protection for the whole day.
If it doesn't work then there was little lost.
I wish you well with your search for the right solution.
Richard