www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:49 am 

Hello all,

I was looking on some of the North-American shops that are referred to on this site. I've looked at most of them at some time, bit it's been quite a while and some of them have many new products now.

That's where I saw that there are a number of alternatives for vinyl that I haven't noticed before: Nylon and Polyester.
I do have experience with PU (or PUL - poly urethane), and I've never liked that because it's just not really waterproof - or maybe only under very specific conditions.

Has anyone experience with waterproof pants made from nylon or polyester? I'm curious, but I can't figure out much from the online shops that sell them.

- is this about nylon / polyester foil similar to pvc foil? Or is it woven like textile? If so, is it covered with a waterproof layer maybe, and what's that layer made
of?

- are they *really waterproof* like vinyl pants, or *to a degree* like PU(L) pants?

- are they comfortable? Is the material pliable and soft or stiff?

- are they noisy compared to pvc pants?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:08 am 

Hi Katelyn,

PUL pants are completely waterproof while being somewhat breathable. It is like GoreTex fabric. For years I have used the Gary brand both for disposables and for cloth diapers at night and never had a problem.

Perhaps you tried a bad brand or a bad batch of pants?

Almost any laminate pants will be less noisy than vinyl or euroflex.

--John
(double incontinent and wearing 24/7, cloth at night)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:12 am 

I have two pairs of nylon knit pants from Nikki, which I wear only with disposables. In my experience, there are no absolutely fool-proof waterproof pants. When I get lazy and do not change as often as necessary, or when I drink anything after supper, leakage from the leg holes or waistline will occur. Call it squeeze-out or whatever, but it can be maddening. Timely changing helps control odor, rash, and prevents accidents.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:31 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Hi Katelyn,
PUL pants are completely waterproof while being somewhat breathable. It is like GoreTex fabric.

For years I have used the Gary brand both for disposables and for cloth diapers at night and never had a problem.

Perhaps you tried a bad brand or a bad batch of pants?

I guess it's pretty hard to find out whether the ones I had were inferior. It could be that of course, but then again, I noticed a very similar sort of 'unsatisfactory-ness' in all PU(L) pants I've had, as well as when it was used as waterproofing outer shell of an all-in-one.

The issues I had with PUL is that it leaks at sharp folds and in places where it's under more than usual stress or pressure.

I also had the feeling that it always let some amount of vapour out, noticeable by a slight clammy feeling on the outside and a more noticeable urine smell at times.

Incidentally, I've also used gore-tex rain gear for hiking and on the bicycle, and found that it behaved similarly there: good for a short shower, but it doesn't keep me dry if the rain goes on for hours on end. Plus that gore-tex seems to be very demanding in maintenance, or else it loses its waterproofing very fast.

Another issue is that it is more difficult to clean than pvc. Where you can simply rinse or wipe a wet plastic pant in the morning, a PUL pant always needs to be laundered.

So I guess it depends on how strictly you interpret "waterproof". I share your point of view insofar that PUL will prevent most visible leaks, but my experience differs in that I find it not as completely waterproof as plastic (pvc), resulting in aforementioned clammy feeling (as If the material is "sweating") and more maintenance.

I've always found plastic very practical and suitable for my situation. I don't care much for the breathability that is always PUL's selling point - actually, I never noticed it, despite that I tried PUL pants more than once.

Instead, I find surface texture extremely important in wearing comfort. That's the only reason I'm looking into Nylon or Polyester, because so much Vinyl is smooth or even shiny, which I find very unpleasant.

So I'm wondering if Nylon and Polyester are similarly waterproof as Vinyl is, or more like the 'breathable' PUL?

PS - I don't ask about the sound because I want a pant that's completely quiet. I've actually never been bothered by diapers or plastic pants being noisy, I suppose my regular clothing also rustles a bit.

I'm merely curious, because it helps me imagine what the material is like.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:07 am 

PUL stands for poly urethane laminate. The urethane is laminated on to nylon pants, which extends their durability, life, and noise suppression. PUL pants are fully waterproof, though I have not experienced them being breathable as they contain smells quite well.

Nylon pants alone are it waterproof.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:07 am 

PUL stands for poly urethane laminate. The urethane is laminated on to nylon pants, which extends their durability, life, and noise suppression. PUL pants are fully waterproof, though I have not experienced them being breathable as they contain smells quite well.

Nylon pants alone are not waterproof, though they are likely to be more comfortable.