www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:24 am 

Anybody use pull-ups? Why?

I'm confused why and how they sell so many pull-ups. I've had the nice sales ladies try to sway me. The taped undergarments are 'diapers', is one of the attitudes. The selling point of the pulls ups is supposed to be the simplicity of changing. But I find pull up to be more difficult to change. The sales lady will tell you that you can tear the pull up so you don't have to remove your clothing. Bravo! You have the old one off. Now how do you get the new one on without removing your clothing? You can't tear it first.

In my experience pull ups are
1) Less absorbent
2) Harder to change in public
3) More expensive

They are easier to hide under the clothes. But that is the only positive.

Maybe someone else has another, different experience that is more positive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:59 am 

I think they are more like regular underwear ... and that's it.

People that don't want to think they're wearing a diaper are more likely to be sold on the product least like a diaper, and most like underwear. It has nothing to do with function.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:29 am 

IMHO, pull-ups cannot substitute for tabbed diapers, but they have their place. Many with minor incontinence find them to be quite satisfactory. However, do note that persons with only minor incontinence are unlikely to participate in our group and discussions.

I find pull-ups to be quite useful when I expect NOT to have to use them.. For example, I often wear pull-ups when I am practicing timed voiding - trying not to pee and to make it to the toilet quickly when I finally have to do so. At that point, it helps that pull-ups can be pulled down so quickly or I never would make it in time.

Also, when I am waiting to put on a tabbed diaper at the last moment before leaving the house, I may wear a pull-up for a relatively brief period to fill the gap. My pull-ups are the Abriflex L4.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:47 pm 

I have found pull ups useful from time to time. While on vacation this past June, I wore pull ups during the day, and Abenas at night. By limiting fluid intake and going to the toilet at every opportunity, I was able to make them work for the trip. Because the temperatures were frequently over 100F, my leakage never exceeded the limited capacity of my protection.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:44 pm 

I use them at work under a uniform (abriflex M3) my incontinence is still light enough that I can get away with these. I prefer a tape on diaper but it's much easier to manage at work with a pullup. I use the bathroom at every opportunity. At home, I'm in a regular diaper.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:14 pm 

They work well enough for people who most often don't need them, but sometimes do as a surprise sort of way. They also work well enough for light or dribbling type of incontinence. And of course, they kind of almost work for those in denial about needing diapers.

This is by far the biggest majority of people who use them. And it's the reason why so many swear by them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm 

They are easier on those of us who are do not have the dexterity, vision or range of motion to be dealing with tiny tapes and are independent, active disabled people who do not have "caregivers" at our beck and call. Unfortunately, since they cannot be changed easily while out, they do have to be suitable for extended wear, and I have found very few good for that and nothing ideal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:59 pm 

I think pull-ups are just fine for very specific applications. I have what I think would be considered to be "moderate" incontinence (significant after urination leakage, some urge incon) and when I know I will be home, or at least very near to a bathroom for certain, a high quality pull-up will work just fine for me. Even if I have a sudden urge and can't make it to the bathroom in time they will take one wetting. Of course then they will have to be changed, but no problem really since I'm usually at home. Also, for people with very minor or infrequent leakage, pull-ups, especially the better ones, probably work very well for them as well as being very discreet.

Many of the negative aspects of pull-ups that others have cited here are very true, but I think a great saying that my Dad had really applies here, "Generally there are no bad materials, just bad applications." Yeah I know that diapers aren't "materials" but I think you get the idea.

BTW...Any chance you could tell that both my Dad and I are Engineers?

Last edited by Padded53 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:10 am 

Usable, often more discreet than briefs (IMO at least), but they have their downsides. On hot days they tend to be a bit more comfy and on the gym definitely more unnoticeable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:30 am 

Because for most people, wearing a giant plastic diaper is pretty unpleasant--If you only have less-than-complete incontinence, you don't want a product taped to your body like a bandage. I'm sure if you have complete urinary incontinence, it can make sense to use the most-absorbent thing you can get. But the majority of people who have some sort of incontinence are not in that situation.

When my problems first started, the only adult diapers were very thick and impossible to hide under my jeans. And even though some days I had accidents that needed them, most days I was leaking perhaps 30ml. It was liquid feces, blood, mucus, and other mysterious fluids from my intestines. But I didn't need a giant diaper for 30-60ml; that's 1-2oz. i needed something to contain it and absorb as much fluid as possible so it wouldn't sit on my skin. A lot of that stuff is pretty hydrophobic and doesn't absorb well.

When the Depend Protective Underwear came out--that was the original all-white unisex product with a full pad from front-to-back--it made a huge improvement. I still had some accidents when things got away from me, but it solved the majority of my daily issues. But I dared wear it to my college classes, and it worked a whole lot better than me modifying women's urinary or menstrual pads to fit my underwear, where thy often came off and got stick to me halfway across the large campus.

And since I had chronic diarrhea 24x7, sometimes with intense urgency, I could quickly pull them down the Depends Underwear and use the toilet. Extra delays caused by trying to shimmy out of a diaper could be a catastrophe. Sometimes I had my pants undone before I even reached the restroom because I knew my timing was that tight.

About this time, the (old, green) Depends briefs got much thinner and had a great waistband (which kept getting better for a while); if I fastened them carefully, I could pull them up-and-down all day like plastic underpants. As long as I didn't have a leak more than a couple ml, I would wear them until my shower the next morning. I used these when I was feeling sick and the pull-ups when I was feeling okay. My disease would flare and go into remission, and in remission even with I was basically normal for a week or two, the pull-ups gave me great confidence that I could handle leakage. Both the pull-up and the diapers saved me from some terrible accidents, and yes a couple times I had a bigger problem than the pull-ups could handle. For several years when I was sick, I alternated between the "underwear" and or diapers during the days and used the diapers at night.

The modern Depend Underwear is useless for me. The mens products have trimmed the pads so much it no longer goes over my rectal area and when I leak, it just gooshes out through the nonwoven fabric panels. The woman's products are better that way, but they have no room for my genitalia and though I am used to being humiliated and I actually like the color purple ones, the peach and printed pink pullups are just too much for my pride. My wife has the same disease (it's how we met) so at times I've tried hers to see if they will work; I hate having to special-order everything.

But today's quality pull-ups are great. The Abena Abri-Flex M1 and M3 are my go-to products now when I have problems. I only turn to a diaper when I am expecting an accident, or after I've had one and worry another might be coming. I've torn off many pull-ups and taped on a diaper in a restroom stall. Or when I am doing a bowel prep or something.

Plus, you can get some of the pull-ups colors. In Europe there is a Tena Active Fit for men in a really nice dark blue. But it doesn't fit me quite right. I know some here are not bothered by them, but seeing myself in the mirror in a white diaper (tape on or pull-up) makes me a bit ill. I look like an escaped patient or a giant toddler, neither look is good for my ego.

I was using the Seni Active for Men which was an idea product for me. It fit me like it was tailored, it was just the right absorbency and it was grey. It had active fecal cuffs to contain mucus and things (those raised leak guards around the pad). The grey wasn't as uniformas I would like, but still I wasn't totally ashamed to be seen in them, so naturally they stopped making them.

When I am not expecting anything more than a tiny bit of leakage (I am doing really, really well on a new medication right now), I use the Tena ProSkin for men, which are a very nice grey and quite comfortable. But they have no real leak guards except the leg cuffs, so I move away from them if I feel "off".

Again, all of those products I can remove quickly to use the toilet, which is important with chronic diarrhea.