www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Day/night incontience
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:44 am 

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum (the reason why : my introduction here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2565)

I live in Europe and it seems much easier to get adequate protections of any kind in the US (or China).
On Amazon/Aliexpress I found a few plastic pants, underwear with padding, high absorbency diapers,...
I tried all combinations of them but at the end of the day I always have these issues (especially overnight when I move quite a lot even though I usually sleep on my chest, on the side):

- Side leaking (this is basically impossible to avoid in my experience when the incontinence is just slightly more than "very light")
- Upper leaking (basically all the diapers I tried have little-to-no adding in the part around the wrist, resulting in the liquid to go over my check - or the bed - from the upper part of any protection)

Anyone with similar issues (and with an appropriate solution)?
Thank you :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:27 am 

When I use disposables, even high-end Abenas and Molicares, I always place additional absorbent pads in a V in front, one on each side meeting below my genitals, and a third across and just below the waistband. Placed properly, and slashed to make best use of the combined absorbency, this set-up works for me when I sleep while using disposables. Washables, my preferred protection, require similar experimentation. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:59 am 

If you're leaking from the sides and over the top, then it sounds like you might not be using good enough diapers.

You also mentioned how easy it is for you to find diapers here in the US. The easy to find ones are not going to be very good for much more than occasional or light leaking.

I'm not sure what kind you're using, but would recommend you try better diapers for whatever level of protection you really need.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:15 am 

A lot of diapers leak from the sides because they only pad the middle. If you want them to absorb while you lay on your side you need to look for diapers with padding in an hourglass shape. The more padding to the sides the least likely they will leak. Even the best leak from the sides sometimes. It's a good idea to use an underlay and/or plastic pants at night.

Leaking over the top? Try taping the diaper so the tension is across the padding, not across the top edge. If the diaper has elastic the elastic is not meant to be taut. By taping with the tension across the padding it ensures the liquid has to come into contact with and absorbent surface before it can pass, if the tension is across the outerlayer the liquid can only pool so much before it pushes through. If the elastic is pulled too tight it creates gaps. You can try tucking the outer layer back into the diaper. Abena diapers tend to roll out at the top exposing the wet layer and causing leaks, but if you roll the top edge in it stops that from happening.

The elastic being tight is a problem at the crotch as well. I tape my diapers to pull the absorbent padding close to my skin, I let the folds of the diaper push the elastic around the legs. Since I started using this method I rarely have any leaks, if it does leak it is because of saturation.