www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:17 pm 

Tena changed to cloth backed for the tena slip quite a while back. I know a few people found that it didn't work so well, myself included. Well I've just been looking through the plastic backed section on incontinence choice and they have a Tena slip active (which looks the same as the tena slip from what I can tell) in plastic backed again, as well as the slip in cloth backed still being available. It's called tena slip active fit and incontinence choice have it in both maxi and plus though they seem to have the absorbancy the wrong way around as maxi is the higher absorbancy one. Before my catheter Tena slip ultima was my pad of choice but it was better plastic backed and they've not made it available as a plastic backed yet. It is similar to the arena M4 (which was also better plastic backed) . I've still got a pack for emergencies when my catheter stops functioning and is bypassing lots (which it is tonight hence looking stuff up!)

when I eventually am no longer bedbound I will need a plastic backed slip/nappy style plastic backed pad as I will be a hoist user so not be able to use the toilet whilst out so would need something in case of bowel incontinence as well as just in case of more moderate amounts of urine leakage. Plastic backed is much more suited to that.

http://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/inc ... of-24.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:17 am 

Tangerine,
You might ask if stepping up a size on your catheter can help you on your bypassing, it helped me. It doesn't totally prevent it, but it helped.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:27 am 

I bought a pack of the new Tena Active Fit, and it is great to have plastic backed Tena products again. I stocked up on the old style when I heard they were going away.

The new Active Fit are great, very discreet and have a fairly large capacity. The plastic back isn't quite as soft as the old style, but still soft and quiet. Much like the old ones, these have a very high SAP/Fluff ratio, so they absorb slowly and swell up. My wife and I went out & about last weekend, and I wore one. I gave it the 5-hour test, sitting through a movie and lunch, plus walking around the city center. It swelled up so much in the front that I was afraid it would be noticeable. I got through the afternoon with no leaks and no problems.

I tried them for overnight use and had no leaks, but I wake up feeling wet all over due to the swelling. I'll stick with Abena at night.

Overall, an awesome daytime diaper.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:47 pm 

I bet that was a costly mistake for tena. Not only did they tick off enough customers that they needed to bring them back, but a lot of other long time customers have likely found a different brand already. I doubt they will ever regain the market share they had before- unless they actually improve their design next time instead of eliminating it completely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:37 pm 

I too am glad to hear of the return of the plastic backed Tena.

It gets you to wondering if this was a "New Coke" vs "Classic Coke" scenario on Tena's part? :shock: