www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Backpacking
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:49 pm 

Would a condom cath work for a night time situation? One of my conserns is hiking in higher alts and having a frozen bag on my leg!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:28 am 

I'm not a hiker nor a condom cath user, so I can't speak to your concerns directly, but I would assume it would be OK for night time. The bag is meant to be kept close to the body, so keeping it in your sleeping bag or under your clothes would keep it above freezing, unless you're waking up with frostbite.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:10 am 

Bob,

You may be more limited by chaffing and rashes than by the weight of new and used diapers. It would be advisable to go on a couple of long shakedown hikes to see how your body handles the strenuous exercise while diapered.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:01 am 

Bob,
Im with JD on this one, I know three years ago at Lackland AFB, between the heat and walking my skin was torn up by chaffing. I went this year, I had changed to a Foley and had no issues, other than the fact I don't walk well anymore. I know you can do it, you will have to find a combination that works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:40 pm 

Hi, long time no talk from me but I finally felt I have something to contribute. It's not the same thing, but I do run on my treadmill for 6 miles a day, and I wear confidry24/7's when i do. I found out very quickly what John spoke about regarding chaffing and rashes. To combat this, I wear latex exam gloves and lather my diaper area with petroleum jelly paying special attention to my thighs and hips (incidentally, I also do this for my armpits as the same thing happens there), then I remove the glove I put on my diaper. Following this, I put on another glove and put a layer of the jelly on the diaper itself where it comes in contact with my thighs, and place some more in the openings of the legs all around. Wearing workout shorts over this I have not had the issue with rashes. Since I am a Fitbit nut and wanted the 100,000 steps badge, I had to be on the treadmill for almost 14 hours, staying hydrated and changing almost every two hours. This method kept my skin safe despite traversing nearly 51 miles. If you can keep a jar of petroleum jelly, gloves, and duct tape (just to make sure the tapes aren't compromised), this would almost be as important as which diaper you end up taking with you on your journey. That's just my two cents :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:46 pm 

Thanks again for all the help, i most likely go with a combination of things but hopefully by the time I do go on my quest of thru hiking the PCT I will have a better control of my IC. As for right now I mainly use M4s, I have a Uro Doctors appointment next month to have reavluation of things, and I'm gonna talk about all of this to him see what he might have for me.