www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:55 pm 

This is my first post and am thankful for this support line. I am a male 36 years old. I have been having nightly accidents and have resorted to using diapers to contain what I can't. I am married to a wonderful woman that has accepted me, even during my most frustrating times. I have a high stress job, just currently moves into a house of 'our own' and have four kids ranging in age 10-1.5. I have had constant dribbling during the day and super heavy wetting during the night. Is my incontinece caused by all these stressors in my life (because a doctor says no). What is the best nighttime diaper that is available that would help me so I'm not wetting all over?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:05 am 

Hi mvincent,

As I understand it, stressors usually are associated with urge incontinence, rather than dribbling. Is the doctor you mentioned a urologist or a general practitioner? Have you had urological testing?

I am sure you will receive many different recommendations for diapers as those of us here have found different solutions.

For daytime "dribbling," any good quality disposable diaper should work (emphasis on "good"). However, a premium disposable would mean fewer changes. I like the ConfiDry 24/7 as I need to change it less frequently. What diaper do you currently wear for daytime and how long does it usually last for you?

If your night wetting is "super heavy," you might consider using an adult cloth diaper. Many of us here do. As cloth diapers wick so well, they prevent the leaks so common for side-sleepers, of whom I am one. You can adjust the layers to give you just the absorbency you require. In the long run they are considerably less expensive than disposable diapers. The downside is the need to store used diapers and launder them every few days. Of course, plastic pants are an absolute must with cloth diapers (I use the Hi-back Gary PUL pants).

If you want to continue using a disposable at night, I recommend the ConfiDry 24/7, with a small booster pad. If you buy Dry 24/7 diapers by the case the price becomes more affordable. I usually get mine from Gary XP Medical.

--John
(double incontinent; diapers 24/7; cloth at night)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 am 

I did see my primary doctor several weeks ago to talk about the issue. I do have my appointment with a urologist a week from today. I have been trying a whole plethora of disposables over the last few weeks. Started the the generic Depends that are found in stores then went to the Select brand because it boasted 'heavy protection'. I then tried Tranquility ATN and some of their super inserts. I've tried both the classic and superio line of the Wellness briefs. I did email Northshore and got a sample two pack of their line. It's a huge trial and error for me. The Northshore brand I did have one night I did leak and one night I didn't (so far that's the only leak free night).

Thank you for the advice and suggestions it's so greatly appreciated. This site is such a blessing and a huge help as lately I've had issues with anxiety and depression.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:24 am 

Hi mvincent33

I too have urge issues and what I wear at night is Molicare Soft Super Plus (adult diaper) with booster pad for extra security, Stretch/Compression pants to keep the diaper snug, Waterproof Cover I wear a Molicare Spartan (looks normal) or Gary Waterproof pants in the winter. For extra leak protection I also add in a Terry brief if needed. I have a cover on the mattress and pillow protectors to protect them just in case the worst happens during a thrash around nightmare. I had one once what a mess but one learns from the experiences that Incontinence brings each one of us. Before settling on my protection I obtained free samples from the manufactures and this helped a lot.

I have sound sleep and wake up refreshed for the new day knowing that I have the protection to see me through the night rather than the worry and lack of sleep.

The primer has a great deal of information that helped me.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/primer_index.php

Greenbank

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:11 pm 

I would also recommend the Confidry24/7. I use them both for the day (fewer changes as previously mentioned), and with a baby diaper booster for at night (I sleep on my side and very seldom leak).

I'd also mention when looking at diaper costs, don't look at it as a per diaper cost, look at it as a total per day. The more expensive diapers may cost a lot more, but they also last a lot longer too (and with fewer chances of leaking).

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:38 pm 

mvincent33 wrote:
This is my first post and am thankful for this support line. I am a male 36 years old. I have been having nightly accidents and have resorted to using diapers to contain what I can't. I am married to a wonderful woman that has accepted me, even during my most frustrating times. I have a high stress job, just currently moves into a house of 'our own' and have four kids ranging in age 10-1.5. I have had constant dribbling during the day and super heavy wetting during the night. Is my incontinece caused by all these stressors in my life (because a doctor says no). What is the best nighttime diaper that is available that would help me so I'm not wetting all over?

I feel your pain. You should have the doctor check out your prostate as the dribbling can be indicative of prostate enlargement issues. For night I have used both Abena Premium briefs and Tranquility ATN. Even though Tranquility ATN has plastic backing and therefor can get warm, I prefer it to the Abena (cloth backed) because the ATN tapes hold very well to the plastic and don't ever come undone whereas the tapes slip and stretch on the Abena. Furthermore the ATN seems to have quicker wicking than the Abena and feels dry in less than a minute after wetting. Abena felt wet for a much longer period of time.

G

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:35 pm 

Welcome to the group, and dang you started having kids young! :)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:20 am 

I am currently alternating between abena m4 at night (plastic backed) and tena ultima slip as I stupidly bought the wrong size of the tena and they seem to feel like they come up to my armpits. I didn't realise there was such a huge size difference between large and medium, oh well in drifting off topic. I find the abenas are very good and I suffer from very heavy leaking at night, so far not many wet sheets. Hope this is helpful in some way :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 pm 

I wear Dry 24/7 with a booster pad and plastic pants for my incontinence. Although a bit bulky, this has proven to be a very effective product combination for me, and I seldom wet my pants or the bed (at least so long as I am protected).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm 

Note that many of you who dribble and have less leakage can just wear some "pads" inside your normal underwear, which are much cheaper than diapers. I use "Men's Liberty" and also wear a disposable diaper as a backup when out. At night I get up about every hour and use the bathroom. But luckily it only takes me about 5 minutes to go back to sleep. I also use a "shim" (disposable bed pad) at night. The nighttime wetting started after I had 40 radiation treatments. And not after the removal of my prostate, which caused the incontinence. Since I'm a veteran the VA pays for everything. But insurance and Medicaid pays for the Men's Liberty and not the diapers, etc. I know what you are going through, and wish you all well!