www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:01 pm 

The Tena Classic is an economy level diaper, quiet and discreet and for my level of leakage it works ok. The tapes are infinetly refastenable. Another thing I want to mention, Noe, is that for the protection pullups are way more expensive for what usually amounts to less protection. However, I still use them as well, because I can get away with it. I use the pullups at work where they're easier to conceal under a uniform. At home I like the regular diapers. In short, having both of them is the way to go because each of them has their strengths and weaknesses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:17 am 

I've never found this to be an issue for me. I wear tapped on disposable diapers, but also pull them down to use the toilet for bowel movements. As long as you tape them on so the diaper is snug- not tight- then you should also be able to pull them down over your hips. That is of course, unless you have very wide hips.

You won't be able to just slide them down like you can with a underwear or a pullup though. To do it, pull down the back, of your diaper a few inches and just below your cheeks, bend forward at the waist some, then pull down the front of the diaper. Once it is past your hips and cheeks, the diaper will slide off the rest of the way.

To put it back on (assuming it isn't very wet and you want to), just follow the same steps in reverse. Lean forward at the waist and pull the diaper up to just above your hips in the front. Stand up straight and pull the back of the diaper over your cheeks. Rework the top of the diaper front and back to get it back in the right spot. Now also push up and rework the leg bands to get them in the right spot too.

Congrats, you just pulled down and back up a tapped diaper without needing to undo the tapes. It does take a little bit of figuring out, but I've been able to do to this for decades and with every diaper out there regardless if it has an elastic waist band or not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:43 pm 

If I am able to make it to a toilet, my method is the same as Baby Brian's with one addition. I routinely reinforce the diaper tapes with a small length of duct tape for added security. That way, when lowering the diaper or pulling it back up I absolutely will not cause the tapes to "pop."

--John

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:34 pm 

Thanks, Brian, JDinVirginia, JohnStone, PB&J32, Matthew, Mlhjr, and others. It's interesting how many criteria we have identified that must be considered during a potential transition from pullups to fitted briefs. We have discussed all of the following:

- Cost
- Likelihood of "floods"
- Ease of changing
- Compatibility with wardrobe or uniform
- Needed duration
- Level of ability to use a bathroom
- Level of comfort using a diaper

Some of these factors admit of objective comparisons (e.g., cost). Others are intangible and even quite personal (level of comfort using a diaper). The decision to transition from pullups to fitted briefs may be almost as complex as the decision to transition from cloth underwear to some kind of diaper.

I would add one to this list: level of comfort with the "look and feel" of a fitted brief. This is an issue for me. My urologist has told me that there is no cure for my prostate problem. But I know that I have not really accepted that I will be incontinent for the rest of my life. For many years, I was able to alternate pullups with cotton briefs. I kept pullups around and used them only in specific situations. Those days are probably behind me at this point. I have a stack of cotton underwear in my closet that I have barely touched during the last year and a half. I think pullups are popular, in part, because they appeal to guys in my situation. I see the cost and usage benefits of traditional diapers. I'm just not sure I'm ready for that.

Noe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:17 pm 

And there are those the use re-usable cloth diapers. These too, have advantages (absorbency, and long term cost saving), but there are many disadvantages as well. Many factors to be considered.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:18 pm 

Thanks for the tips Brian and JDinVirginia. I would have the same problem where I would pop tapes or the whole thing would become disheveled if I pulled it down. I will try those out. What brand of tape do you use?

Noe, I know what you mean. In my closet, I have diapers. pullups, guards, my normal briefs, and my old boxers I haven't touched in a few years. Its all really overwhelming. I would at least buy a pack of the diapers to give them a try and see how they feel and work compared to the pull-ups, knowing what you know now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:43 am 

For what its worth, the quality of tape on the Abena, and NorthShore diapers is pretty good. Those are the only two brands of disposable diapers I used, but it stands to reason any of the "quality" disposable diapers will most likely use tape with some quality to it so those diapers "should" have a diaper tape that can be re-fasten at least once that will actually stick to the diaper until your next change. I've not had any success re-fastening diaper tape more than once when the tape would actually "stick" and didn't break loose before my next change.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:59 pm 

Matthewmeto, I only use Confidry24/7. I don't use any reinforcing tape either. You just have to be careful not to get the oil on your hands on the diaper plastic where you plan to stick the tapes. It does also help once they are stuck on, to rub them down (which makes the diaper tapes stick better).

Of course, they do sometimes still pop off in spite of my best efforts. I keep a few safety pins on hand for this, and when they come loose I just stick them back on and pin them in place. This works as good as reinforcing tape, and is easier to carry around too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:00 am 

To reinforce the tapes on a disposable diaper I use duct tape. However, all duct tape is not equal. The more industrial versions can too tough to tear with your hands and require scissors or a knife. I have found the less industrial Duck brand duct tape to be the best for me. Also I find the colored tapes with designs break up the boring tedium of a white diaper. :D

--John

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:00 pm 

As John said Ducktape works great to re enforce the tapes on the Dry 24/7's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next