www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:55 am 

Noe,
John talked about Wellness superior briefs. The nice thing about them is the heavier plastic front that allows you to remove the tapes several times with no issues. So if you can use the restroom you can still use the brief you had on. 24/7 from XP Medical also a great pick for protection. But at night cloth is the best for me, no more wet bed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:35 am 
Admin

I agree, cloth diapers and plastic pants at night is the best combination for me.
At times I will wear cloth during the day, but not as thick as at night time.

As far as the "Wellness superior briefs", I can not recommend them. :(
Right now at 2:30 AM, I can not remember just what it was about them that I did not like.
It may have been their tapes were bad, or that they had micro holes in the plastic.
Sorry, I just can not remember right now. But I do not plan on buying them again in the near future.

I have tried the pull-ups, but they just do not work for me.
I know that they are a lot better now than what they used to be.

Schoppy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:49 am 

Schoppy,
There called Wellness superio,they are different. Like you the original's were nothing but trouble, hole, tapes and one would fit, but three wouldn't. I tried a couple of the original and then bought a case of them, that was a big mistake, I wore plastic pants over them so I could use them up. As much as diapers cost you would think they would custom fit them for us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:56 am 

Schoppy,

Mlhr is correct that these are not the original Wellness briefs you remember. They have been totally redesigned. :D Some time back I posted extensive testing of this new diaper elsewhere on this site. Remember, the Wellness Superio Signature are the new diapers.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:41 am 

I have to say the Wellness Superio diapers are still not very good diapers. Yes they are greatly improved from the original Wellness diapers, but don't let their "NASA inspired" claim fool you.

When I tried them out I always felt wet and clammy even after only using the diaper a little bit. I still manage to get a lot of them to leak on me too, in spite of having what I thought was a decent fit. Given their price ($1.39 each) and performance, you can actually do better with xp medicals absorbency plus diapers ($1.20 each case), which in my opinion are close to the same thickness, total absorbency, and chance of getting leaks.

Better yet, I'd recommend the Seni super, or Molicare comfort (both about $1.20 each, when by the case). These fit well for moderate incontinence when a pullup isn't enough, but a premium diaper isn't needed. They are also somewhat thin, yet have a slightly better performance for their capacity than wellness or xp absorbency, and with slightly less of a chance for leaks.

Well, at least they did for me any ways.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:25 pm 

I have had some kind of mild incontinence throughout my adult life. At first, I didn't wear any products for it, then I switched to briefs and put paper towels in them, then guards, then pullups. I switched to the brief-style after recommendations on this board and a realization that my issues were much worse than I had really taken for granted. It was less that I had light incontinence and more that I believed I did, when the reality was that it was somewhat moderate. I still believe my issues are moderate now, as my main issue comes from frequency and urgency.

Quote:
1. What criteria did you use to make this decision?
- Cost was a big factor. The pullups that I used were rather expensive and the briefs are not nearly as expensive as the diapers. In addition, my partner had some lying around in storage from a deceased's relative. I found the protection of the briefs to be much better than any pullup or guard combination that I have used.

Quote:
2. What were the advantages, and what were the disadvantages?

Compared to guards, the pull ups and briefs are much better. The adhesive on the guards would fall off, my penis would move out of place. The guards are not a good solution for anything more than the lightest of incontinence. In regards to the pull-ups, the brief style gives me a bit more security. It can handle floods well, though I don't deal with that much. I deal with a frequent dribble as well, and it gives me peace of mind that I won't deal with leaks or any awkwardness with it. It may just be a peace of mind thing, but since switching to the brief, I've never had any spots on my pants or leaks from the pullup. Changing a brief is also a lot easier than a pullup since I don't have to remove any clothing, just pull down.

I've found that compared to pullups, briefs are not that much of a change, really just how you put them on and the potential bulk. Most of the tab-style briefs, outside of the premium ones, fit under clothes really well and are hardly noticable.

It may also be because I find the fit of a brief to be much superior to a pullup due to its modularity.

Quote:
3. Is there a particular fitted brief that would be particularly suitable for someone in my situation?
When I first started, I used the Tranquility slimline. I am very fond of these. The Tena stretch was also a very good, breathable, and comfortable. The only different between that and a pullup is how you put it on and the fit. I found them very comfortable.

Quote:
4. Is there anyone who experimented with fitted briefs but ultimately decided that pull-ups were the best option for them?
I have not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:58 pm 

Thank you, Matthew, for your detailed response. I have followed your other posts. It sounds like we may have similar symptoms. You make a convincing case for fitted briefs.
Quote:
Cost was a big factor.

Yes, this has been much on my mind. I have a spreadsheet on my computer that runs various diaper usage scenarios. My favorite pullup is Attends Incontinence Underwear. I typically use 4 per day. That's 28 per week. At that rate, I would need 18.2 cases per year, and I would pay about $860 for that. (For the sake of argument, all prices cited here are those currently found on Amazon). Now suppose I were to switch to a fitted brief. Say I switched to Attends with Waistband. I have experimented with these in the past. They are ok, but definitely bulkier, noisier, and sweatier than pullups. I typically needed 3-4 per day. That's probably around 28 per week. At that rate, I would need 16.5 cases per year, and I would pay about $703 for that. So I suppose I agree that the cost-factor is clear (if not quite decisive) in terms of briefs, at least based on this comparison. The math looks good for the Tena Classic that PB&J32 recommends ($688 per year). It doesn't quite work out for the Tranquility Slimline that you recommend ($952 per year). It works for some, but not all, of the tape-on diaper recommendations guys have posted on this thread. It never works for "premium" diapers, but I'm ok with that. I don't really need premiums.
Quote:
Changing a brief is also a lot easier than a pullup since I don't have to remove any clothing, just pull down.

Yes. This is really clear. Like everyone else, I sometimes have to change in public restrooms. Getting into a clean tape-on diaper is way less of a hassle than changing a pullup.

I like modern incontinence underwear. I don't have floods, and I rarely experience leaks. But I am learning that this is just one point of consideration. The cost and change/convenience factors may convince me to opt for traditional diapers. I'll keep thinking about it.

Thanks again for your comments.

Noe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:14 pm 

Noe,
Tranquility diaper are one of the better diaper that I used. I used the ATNs and boosters. Didn't have any issue out of them. You can get better pricing on Amazon if you choose to use that product.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:34 pm 

Just my thoughts on the matter is anyone with light to moderate can most likely use a pull-up and plastic pants and not have any problem (leakage) using this combination as long as the out flow of "moderate" incontinence is within the capabilities of absorbance of the pull-up being used. One very distinct advantage of the pull-up is the ease of lower it to use the bathroom. However, this seemingly advantage works both ways;.....it is also a very distinct disadvantage if the user needs to change in a public restroom IF another pull-up is to be used as a replacement. This of course would mean the removal of pants so the new pull-up can be worn. The other way of addressing this problem would be to tear away the pull-up being replaced, and replacing it with a diaper with tape tabs. I did this for a while several years ago, anytime I changed in a public place such as a public restroom. I HATE changing in public restrooms, but sometimes it CAN'T be avoided. One of the disadvantages of the disposable diaper is trying to use the restroom while wearing ANY disposable diaper with tape tabs. Every manufacture claims the diaper they manufacture have "user friendly" tape tabs that can be re-fastened. In my experience, some work better than others, but I have yet to use one (re-fasten) the tape tab more than once with ease of use. This is where the pull-up has a tremendous advantage over the disposable diaper with tape taps. I maybe be wrong, but I think most people that make the transition from the pull-up to the disposable diaper may start out with the best of intentions staying diligent to re-fasten the tape tabs whenever possible. In my opinion, re-fasten tape tabs is easier said than done leading to many frustrations eventually succumbing to the use of the diaper. I just don't have any success re-fasten tape tabs more than once, and most the time the diaper is already wet to some degree anyway. I'm bladder, and bowel incon, but I started out just being bladder and overtime my level of incontinence changed, and so did my needs of protection. I've always said everyone has to use whatever works best for them, and what works best for me, may not work best for you.

Just another thought.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:41 pm 

Quote:
One of the disadvantages of the disposable diaper is trying to use the restroom while wearing ANY disposable diaper with tape tabs. Every manufacture claims the diaper they manufacture have "user friendly" tape tabs that can be re-fastened. In my experience, some work better than others, but I have yet to use one (re-fasten) the tape tab more than once with ease of use. This is where the pull-up has a tremendous advantage over the disposable diaper with tape taps. I maybe be wrong, but I think most people that make the transition from the pull-up to the disposable diaper may start out with the best of intentions staying diligent to re-fasten the tape tabs whenever possible. In my opinion, re-fasten tape tabs is easier said than done leading to many frustrations eventually succumbing to the use of the diaper. I just don't have any success re-fasten tape tabs more than once, and most the time the diaper is already wet to some degree anyway. I'm bladder, and bowel incon, but I started out just being bladder and overtime my level of incontinence changed, and so did my needs of protection. I've always said everyone has to use whatever works best for them, and what works best for me, may not work best for you.

You do have a point. There is a way that you can tape it in a way that makes it so you can pull it down just enough to go. That way, you don't worry about having to unfasten or refasten tapes too much. If you go very frequently like I do, it can wear down and get loose and uncomfortable. I'm not that comfortable using the diaper, so I'm rather diligent about it and its manageable, albeit annoying. If the fit does gets uncomfortable doing that, you can refasten the tapes if the brief has them. Unfortunately, the tranquility slimline that I mentioned does not have good ones.

Its hard for me to really address that point outside of acknowledging it. It is kind of complex to both wear briefs and use the restroom, but its a balance you have to find. I'm trying to still find that balance and trying different solutions out, as its kind of new to me as well. However, for me personally, the benefits of wearing the briefs compared to the pull ups have far outweighed the downsides, at least in the couple months that I've been using them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next