www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double diapering
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:44 pm 

I mentioned in another forum that, during a recent car trip and cruise I managed my urinary incontinence and bedwetting by using double diapering at night. I also used double diapering during some days of car travel to save time by not having to change at a public restroom at a rest stop or gas station. The system worked very well for 15 days in a row without leaks.

In a belt-and-suspenders approach I also wore two pair of PUL pants over the diapers at night. The outer PUL pants were sized for a cloth diaper so that they completely fit over the inner pair of pants to make contact with my thighs lower than the first pair of pants to catch any leaks. This was a bit of overkill in order not to fret about leaking at night in a hotel or cruise ship cabin.

One problem I previously had with double diapering was the leaking of SAP crystals from the inner diaper - either onto the floor or sticking to my bottom and then falling off. This time I had zero problems with the SAP crystals. The reason was all in the selection of the inner diaper. This time I used the excellent Seni Quatro breathable diaper from XP Medical. The outer diaper was a ConfiDry Dry 24/7. Due to the construction of the mat in the Seni Quatro, the SAP crystals were adequately locked in the mat. I was able to cut about 50 1" slits in the outer shell for drainage without any SAP crystals falling out. When removing the wet diapers, I slid both diapers together onto the floor to avoid leaks of SAP from the inner diaper. The combination of the two quality diapers is a bit pricey, but very effective.

The lesson learned is to test the inner diaper for leakage of SAP crystals before deciding to use it.

What techniques or tips does anyone else have? Remember, this may help some other incontinent going through these messages in the future.

--John

Post subject: Re: Double diapering
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:43 am 

I use 2-3 booster pads in addition to my Molicare or Abena and a polyurethane laminate (PUL) overpant.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:37 pm 

It does happen often enough where you will need to extend your diapers capacity. Double diapering can potentially give you the most extended wear time, and is a good idea. It's great there are so many other ways to extend them too, and one you find what works best for your situation then stick with it.

For me, I've found when I need that extra capacity that a simple baby diaper works best. They can be positioned and even folded to greatly improve the absorption and/or channeling of your pee too though. Plus it is much cheaper and easier to change out just the baby diaper than two full adult diapers (though would have to be done more often of course).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:50 pm 

Thanks Patrick and Brian for your ideas. It never fails to amaze me how many different approaches we all have.

Patrick, what size booster pads are you using when you add 2-3?

--John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:06 am 

JD, this is how I am making use out of the wrong diapers(which is giving them too much credit) the VA sent me. Several slits from a razor blade and it makes it in a booster pad. Learn with the first one not to make the slits to long since the material will fall out when it is wet. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 am 

batman,

Excellent repurposing of wrong diapers!

--John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:32 am 

JD,

I have a large inventory of disposable booster pads from several sources, which I use with disposables when traveling. Most of them are Depend (Kimberly-Clark), with a few from other sources which I have forgotten.