www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:25 pm 

Hi, if you didn't see my introduction post, I am a female, 53, with metastatic breast cancer and severe incontinence. Right now I am using a brief and a pantliner. Sometimes this works, most times not. Feel free to tell me what you think of the brand (I am not emotionally attached to them, so let it go!) and please suggest another you feel is better. I don't mind, "OMG! Bleh! Icky Poo!" as long as it comes with a better alternative.
BTW, I live in a nursing home type set up (it's supposed to be assisted living, but the name they give us depends on what day of the week it is), so THEY do my laundry. Mostly due to this reason, I need to have a disposable.
As for cost, yes, that always matters (I saw one place online that was recommended here that will let you try samples), but I am working to have my insurance and/or the local cancer society help me get protection, so it is not *that* big a deal.
With all that said, my current protection consists of:

Walmart Assurance brand pull up briefshttp://www.walmart.com/ip/28848304

Prevail Pant linershttp://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OY6AT2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=12O4V46SBIDLK&coliid=I2ONZ4THHHOD0E

Attends Underpadshttp://www.amazon.com/Attends-UFS236RG-Retail-Underpads-Pack/dp/B00WAYKY8C/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1449012057&sr=8-14&keywords=attends+underpads

So, what do y'all think?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:27 pm 

I think whatever works for you is probably fine. How much does that combination cost you per change? How often do you have to change? Do you leak slowly, or flood?

Personally, I think the Walmart brand products are pretty miserable. You'll probably find that most of us use stuff you have to mail order.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:56 pm 

Leslie,

We all have our personal preferences, but we also have done a lot of reporting and evaluation of many products out there, BY NAME.

Some do get by well with the Generics or 'drug store' brands. Others will find products with greater absorbency, but at a higher
price. Often, tho, these undergarments last longer and hold up better for heavy wetting and floods. Added boosters or pads
can expand any disposable's capacity even more.

I want to point out a section here at ISC, named:

' What type of diaper do you find is best? '

Go to the 'Board Index', then scroll down to find it. A lot has already been written by many members and very little is overlooked
when it come to any number of products.

One of the companies has a chart for comparison:

http://www.xpmedical.com/dtest.html

All and all, there is a lot of information and product descriptions / evaluations. After all, WE are the experts!

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:36 am 

Leslie,

I wear Tranquility ATN and super boosters 24/7. The protection you are using I wouldn't make it a hour and there would be a mess to clean up. You can add the level of booster you need to handle the floods and to help you stay drier. Amazon is a great place to shop for better pricing if money is a issue, like it is for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:36 am 

Leslie,

Depending on the state in which you live, there may indeed be an important distinction between assisted living and nursing home residences. In Pennsylvania, where I live, incontinent nursing home residents must be changed every two hours, 24/7, which is the reason nursing homes purchase the cheapest protection available. Assisted living regulations are far more flexible. If you can do your own laundry, and if this promises to be long-term, investing in an inventory of washables and plastic pants might be one useful management tool. Keep us informed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:48 am 

mlhjr wrote:
Leslie,

I wear Tranquility ATN and super boosters 24/7. The protection you are using I wouldn't make it a hour and there would be a mess to clean up. You can add the level of booster you need to handle the floods and to help you stay drier. Amazon is a great place to shop for better pricing if money is a issue, like it is for me.

Thanks for this information. One of the reasons I asked for critique is that the protection I use DOES NOT last me very long (about 2 hours when I have a deluge). If it was rated pretty good, I would just go on with it, but truthfully, I'm looking at something that is stronger. I will look into the Tranquility ATN and super boosters.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:51 am 

Leslie,

I am sorry to read about your problems but we here all fully understand.

Coping with incontinence effectively involves a learning curve before we find what best meets our particular needs. The archive of older messages on this site are a valuable resource.

You will find that the members here are extremely helpful and willing to answer your questions. If there is something of such a personal nature that you do not feel comfortable posting it in the public forum, just send one of us a private message.

You may wish to read the excellent and detailed New Diaper Primer in the files section on this site, and my own white paper "An Introduction to Adult Diapers - Their Selection and Wear" that summarizes what I wish I had known when I became incontinent and began to wear absorbent pads and then diapers. My paper may be found on this site at the URL below:

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/Intro ... iapers.pdf

--John
(double incontinent and wearing 24/7, cloth at night)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:25 am 

Leslie,

I talked about booster on here before and it take a little time getting use to the extra bulk, but it is worth it. It will take a few try to find what fit right, keeps you dry and safe from accidents. I also use cloth diaper when I'm at home, mostly at night. John is a wealth of knowledge and support. I have issues with my bowels too and he has help me with it. This a great group of folks here, hope we have helped.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:47 am 

Hi

I wear Molicare Premium Soft Super Plus 24/7 in combination with stretch/compression briefs, terry brief (catch leaks) and a waterproof type cover. I change about 3/4 times a day and keep to a strict hygiene routine including a barrier cream.

The below is a fantastic resource that might help you.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/primer_index.php

Regards

Greenbank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:42 pm 

If you are able to order online, you have many options for better (longer lasting) products.

XP Medical is a well-regarded online store. Here is a link to the samples page: http://www.xpmedical.com/samples.html

Northshore Care is another great online store:
http://www.northshorecare.com

The customer service at both of these companies is top notch.

Without knowing more about what you are looking for, it is hard to give specific product recommendations. In general, the products on these websites will last longer than what you are using now.

Fit is also an important factor and something everyone must judge for themselves; different brands are cut and sized differently. If you can, I'd highly recommend ordering several different samples from these websites and deciding from there.