www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:22 am 

Hi all,
It has been a little while since I posted on the forum. I wear over my disposable diapers a cotton brief to catch any leakage, especially when I'm sleeping on my side. To prevent that the bed gets wet I wear as well PU pants or plastic pants. I do prefer the PU as it is light, breathable and stretches as well. But I have to admit that plastic pants are more secure, they hardly ever leak. I have the impression that the PU pants tend to leak on the site where they are stitched together. Do you have the same experience? I do find this an annoying issue which pushes me towards plastic pants most of the times. When you don't recognise this issue, which PU pants do you use? Thanks for your feedback. Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:27 pm 

Hi Bob, I wear PUL pants and used to wear them at night over my disposable. I have never had a leak such as you describe - through the stitching. I use the Garywear active PUL briefs and have found them to be very well assembled and long-lasting.

What brand are you wearing? Are you absolutely sure that the leak is actually through the seams (as opposed to leaking through legs or waist and then getting the seams wet)?

--John

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:37 pm 

Hi John,
I'm using a good brand named Suprima. The one in particular is the suprima 1217. Thanks for your reply John.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:01 pm 

Hi Bob,
I too have had great success with the Gary ActiveWear PUL pants. Never a leak, and far more comfortable than plastic pants.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:25 pm 

Bob,

That is puzzling. Back in my younger days I was an avid backpacker. Years ago, it was necessary to seal the seams on tents, ponchos, etc with a seam sealer liquid. However, technology has improved over the years and that certainly should not be necessary on diaper covers.

--John

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:05 pm 

Now that's a '70s blast from the past! My husband and I were also avid backpackers in the day. I remember the seam sealer. Do you remember "Sno Seal" - the gunk that one put on hiking boots to waterproof them - and to cure it, one baked the boots in the kitchen oven?! Speaking of hiking boots, how tough must we have been to wear those lead-weight Vasques?

Wetters

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:42 am 

Wetters,

My, we certainly are retro in his thread! I absolutely remember Sno-Seal and baking boots! :D As annoying as the process was it certainly worked for me. During wilderness backpacking, including in snow, I never had a leak! I even had to wade a cold, shallow stream for about a mile and came out with dry feet. Same thing for seam sealing tents. When camping in a group in the rain we soon learned which owners of new tents had not taken the time to seal the seams on their now leaky tents!

Bob, you always could seal the outside of the seams on your PUL pants (the side not in contact with your skin), but I agree that you should not have to go to that trouble with a name brand of pants such as yours.

--John

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:36 pm 

Yes! I had that problem with the leakmaster PUL pants I had. Leaked at the seams on both sides.

I actually thought about seam sealing them like a tent. I came through the scouts in the 80's and 90's, and we still did that then.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:54 am 

I use the Garywear active brief PUL exclusively and can honestly say if I ever get a leak it has ONLY been around the edges where I didn't tuck it in as well as I should have. I often sleep on my sides and have never leaked at the seams.
Best price for those I have found is off eBay.

Rope

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:32 am 

Not knocking other brands, but it seems that most of us agree about the quality of the Gary PUL pants.

--John