www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doubling up on diapers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:30 pm 

I'm wearing attends with the plastic backing and they sometimes leak.
I'm going out for one of the first times in diapers for a doctors appointment and ultrasound on Monday and I'm terrified they will leak. I've been doubling up at home and that seems to work.
I'll be in a wheelchair (can't walk on my broken leg yet) for the doctors so the bulge shouldn't be that bad but I'm scared about the ultrasound (it's for my thyroid).
I guess it's better safe than sorry?
I don't have any money to buy thicker diapers.
Has anyone else gone out and doubled up?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:24 am 

justej wrote:
I'm wearing attends with the plastic backing and they sometimes leak.
I'm going out for one of the first times in diapers for a doctors appointment and ultrasound on Monday and I'm terrified they will leak. I've been doubling up at home and that seems to work.
I'll be in a wheelchair (can't walk on my broken leg yet) for the doctors so the bulge shouldn't be that bad but I'm scared about the ultrasound (it's for my thyroid).
I guess it's better safe than sorry?
I don't have any money to buy thicker diapers.
Has anyone else gone out and doubled up?

Only at night. I normally wear tena maxi pads at night but if I run out. I wear two tena extra pads one with the larger rear facing potion to the front. These secured by net fixing pants and some snug inco pants keep my bed dry most of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:46 pm 

A good way for me, at least, to prevent leaks is to use a booster pad inside my diaper. I use a very large pad at night but during the day I've used Dignity pads, which you can double up. I haven't used them for a while, but I think they come two-by-two, that is, two attached. They do not have adhesive strips but if you are sitting, they are less likely to move. Some boosters have adhesive strips which keep them in place when you are walking. I wear a cotton pull-up diaper over my disposable diaper and waterproof panties over that. It works very well. I've been very wet without leaks, though once or twice my diaper leaked (without booster), but my pull-up diaper absorbed it. The pull-up diaper and waterproof panty are very good at odor control if I have a bm in my diaper and cannot change right away. Also, the staff in a doctor's office are probably well aware of incontinence and the need for some of us to wear diapers. Don't worry about it. Good luck and best wishes for a fast recovery.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:51 pm 

I found that if I need to extend the capacity a Depends moderate to heavy pad placed inside of my usual diaper works wonders and prevents leaks better then doubling up a diaper with another diaper. If doubling your diaper is the only option you have right now use a sharp knife of scissors to make several small slits in the backing of the inside diaper so urine can pass from one to the other. If you don't do that your will leak at the legs or waist when the diaper gets full.

Good luck and take a change with you. Being in a wet diaper that is at it's capacity is not good for the skin. At the doctors office you will be able to find a wheelchair friendly bathroom nearby.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:47 pm 

I wore the abena samples yesterday and they held up really well. Well at least until I got home and wet so much in the second one that it leaked on my pants. But at least I was home! (And if my neighbor wouldn't have been talking so much I would have been able to change in time and it wouldn't have been a problem, but that's another story. :p)

I should be getting my order of molicare today and I also ordered some abena that should arrive in the next couple of days. I really like the L4, so I'll be using those when I go out.
I just found out yesterday that my roommate is moving out in two weeks so money will be super tight, but I'm all set on the diaper front.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:50 am 

Glad you found a few diapers that work for you. The Abena 4 series are pretty good diapers. They have been a benchmark product for many other manufactures to strive to compete with. Unfortunately Depend has better marketing so they have the household name.

Molicare Supers are good diapers too. I think Abena has slightly better absorption but both a very good products.

Cheers,

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:28 am 

It's great you have found one that works Abena makes a great product, if you can order by the case and you will save.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:02 pm 

just got my case of abenas!
never thought id be happy about getting a shipment of diapers. hahahaha
:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:13 pm 

Congrats on getting a good diaper to help contain your issues.

Did you get the plastic or all breathable outer shell? I only use the plastic shell because the contain odor much better, don't snag on other clothes or bedding, and don't loosen as much through the day. I have had those problems with every cloth=like diaper I have tried. Some are worse then others, but all were worse then most of the plastic shell diapers out there, except Wings. They should rename those Leaky Wings.

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:39 am 

I agree with you on that, Doug.
I hate using cloth ones, due to them just basically stretching themselves too much.
It's a real pain to have to re-tab them, and after so many times, the tabs just wont hook anymore.

Besides, if the outside feels damp when wet, what's going to happen when sit down, and your weight presses the diaper against what you are sitting on?
Your pants and chair are going to get wet, that's what.

Far as I'm concerned, cloth backed diapers are pointless, unless you are a light wetter and change after every single wetting.