www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Incontinence Supplies
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:33 am 

Just recently, my incontinence has ramped up a notch ( I have urinary incontinence) and I am finding that the tena pads I am currently using don't seem to be doing the job, they were intended for. I seem to be wetting more than usual, yes, I keep my hydration levels up, so as not to become dehydrated.
Some days, I go through four pads and I wondered if anyone could give me some advice, to the product i should be using.
Currently, as I have said, I use pads, as i find these easier, especially if out and about town. I suspect, that I now need a higher level of absorbency and wondered what other options are available.
In most chemists here in the Uk, I have found they usually only stock tena pads, depend pads, pants and I have tried the tena pants, which are alright, but I can't seem to find any proper tape on diapers for adults.
I have seen my healthcare professional, once, when I first experienced bladder weakness and needless to say, she was not much help. Basically she told me, that my incontinence was due to menopause and told me to purchase pads from the local chemists and just get on with it. Since then, I haven't been back, I use the protection and just get on with my life.
I have recently discovered a Health Store in my local area, so will be checking that out soon, to see what supplies they have to offer. Perhaps, whilst I'm there, I will speak to the person in charge and ask their opinion on what products would be right, for me. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate the feed back.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:24 am 

Most large Boots stores sell pads with side fastening tapes I think they call them slips just look at the picture on the package to make sure. You should get assessed because you should be able to get them on the NHS.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:34 pm 

I like to wear Tena pads with Tena or Depend pullups when I am at work. The pad/pullup combination works well for me. I like the Tena pullups better but very rarely find them in stores. I usually buy online. At home I wear regular diapers and I like a few different brands. It sounds like you're a female so don't know if my solutions will work well for you. Best of luck to you!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:37 am 

Thanks PB&J32, for your comments. Yes, you are correct, I am a female. I think I need to get back into town and see if I can locate some Tena Slips, although I think Boots Chemists in my area does not sell the Tena Slip, as I have never seen them in there before.
Afew months ago I discovered a Medical Supply Store in town , which sells the Abena M4 diapers, so I will save up some funds then venture there. I feel sure I will find what I need. I will look there, for the Tena Slip and failing that, I will look at what other options are available.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:58 pm 

I don't live in the UK, but have had great luck with abena.
I hope you find what works best for you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:28 pm 

I would recommend http://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk who do samples and abena, molicare, tena and lille. I've never seen a boots stock anything more absorpent than moderate pull ups.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:55 am 

aurora,

Boots is recommended as the retail store in the UK most likely to stock a variety of adult diapers. Don't forget that you can ask them to order from their warehouse for pickup the next day in the store.

Below is a section for the next revision of my white paper "An Introduction to Adult Diapers - their Selection and Wear," which is in the articles section on this site:

As the National Health System provides diapers free for those with a prescription, retail stores in the UK normally do not carry a large stock of adult diapers. It is convenient and quick to order from reputable online local suppliers, listed below. Most can deliver either the next day or the second day. Most will deliver to hotels.
• SaveExpress GMBH – Ships throughout Europe and the UK - Abena, Tena, A+, Molicare, Comficare.
• Dorset Nursing Supplies <dorset-nursing.co.uk> - Next day delivery in UK - Tena, Abena, Molicare. Highly recommended.
• Incontinence Uk <incontinence.co.uk> - next or 2-day delivery in UK. Tena, Molicare
• Incontinencechoice.co - delivers within 36 hrs - next day delivery in UK, including Saturdays. Tena, Abena, and Molicare.
• Cuddlz Adult Nappy Store <Cuddlz.com> - AB/DL store but with plain white adult diapers. Next day delivery available.
• Age UK <ageukincontinence.co.uk> - Next day delivery, including Saturday. Abena, Tena, Attends.
• Home and Medical <Homeandmedical.co.uk> - Next day delivery in UK. Molicare, Abena, Tena
• Every Nappy <everynappy.co.uk> - Next day delivery in UK. Abena, Molicare.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:01 pm 

Sorry, John, but that is not quite right. The UK's NHS provides absorbent incontinence products via the local Continence Adviser who is the gate-keeper for such supplies. If that person agrees, then a regular supply gets delivered to the user. Here, prescriptions, written by doctors, cover drugs and drainage products like drainage bags, sheaths (external catheters) and other sorts of catheters. It's worth mentioning that these Continence Advisers can be hard to reach and pretty mean with supplies too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:59 pm 

Thanks Wheels! :D

--John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:52 am 

wheels5894 wrote:
Sorry, John, but that is not quite right. The UK's NHS provides absorbent incontinence products via the local Continence Adviser who is the gate-keeper for such supplies. If that person agrees, then a regular supply gets delivered to the user. Here, prescriptions, written by doctors, cover drugs and drainage products like drainage bags, sheaths (external catheters) and other sorts of catheters. It's worth mentioning that these Continence Advisers can be hard to reach and pretty mean with supplies too.

I get my pads via the continence service and have to agree they only give you the bare minimum but it does help because they can be expensive to buy.