www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:18 pm 

You guys are not alone. My orthopedist's office has a full-wall running waterfall. Back when I was having severe bladder incontinence it would trigger me every time. Now I still have to make a very deliberate effort to try not to leak.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:08 pm 

John, my community's water district office has one of those, too, right next to the line that forms at the customer service window! It's a beautiful piece of art - natural river stones and copper salmon mounted to simulate the journey upstream (I live in the Pacific Northwest). The District offers an early-pay discount, and the 14th of every other month often finds me over there, paying my water bill in person on the last day for receiving the discount. I'm always wearing a pull-up when I'm out and about, however, when I pay the water bill, I'm always torn between giving up my place in line and running for the ladies' room (it's very close by, likely planned that way!), or trusting that my protection can handle an accident.

Wetters

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:51 pm 

msshendo wrote:
Wetters wrote:
My daytime incon is mostly urge, and running water is a trigger for me, too, seeing and/or hearing. What I had a super hard time with were those desktop serenity fountains that just about everyone seemed to have. I mainly work from home now, and thankfully I don't encounter them often anymore.

Wetters

Oh my gosh Wetters. Thanks for that. I must say I did get a laugh on that one. But I can also so understand what you are saying. The sound of the running water just causes issues. I never thought I was susceptible to that until my incon came about. Now, running water just sets me off.

What I find interesting about my incon is that both night and day, awake or asleep, I am affected by my position. For instance, most of the time, if I'm sitting, the pressure just builds. Then as soon as I stand up, the flood gates are opened. If I'm asleep and I wake up feeling the need to go to the bathroom, as soon as I change my position, flood gates open. I really do not understand this at all!

And for the record, for a second there I felt bad about hijacking the post until I realized it was originally my post. Now I don't feel bad anymore.

I have the same issue concerning positions. When riding in a car I will start to feel the pressure, but as soon as I stop and stand up forget it about. Same with lying down. When I do wake up to go, almost 2 steps to the bathroom and I am leaking. Meantime I'm saying come on the bathroom is only 10 feet away why can't I hold it that long. Occasionally, I do have leaks while sitting or lying down, but they are few and far between compared to when I am standing.

Thanks to this website and all of you, I have become more understanding of my condition and how to try to manage it.

As for the hijacking part, I think you can blame me for that msshendo as I seem to have started it with my complaint vent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:34 am 

batman381327 wrote:
As for the hijacking part, I think you can blame me for that msshendo as I seem to have started it with my complaint vent.

Yeah I don't care that much about the hijacking if it means good stimulating conversation that helps everyone. There's actually been about three or four topics discussed here and that's all good. We find comfort and solice in knowing that we are not alone. That is why we are all on this forum to begin with.

Wetters wrote:
John, my community's water district office has one of those, too, right next to the line that forms at the customer service window! It's a beautiful piece of art - natural river stones and copper salmon mounted to simulate the journey upstream (I live in the Pacific Northwest). The District offers an early-pay discount, and the 14th of every other month often finds me over there, paying my water bill in person on the last day for receiving the discount. I'm always wearing a pull-up when I'm out and about, however, when I pay the water bill, I'm always torn between giving up my place in line and running for the ladies' room (it's very close by, likely planned that way!), or trusting that my protection can handle an accident.

Wetters

You know it just might be planned that way to make it harder to pay your bill. Putting a waterfall and a bathroom near each other cannot be a coincidence. It is part of the architectual design. Whether someone just knew that a waterfall would cause urges or they put it all there to make the line go faster may never be known. Kinda like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:48 pm 

Finally,others who understand.
I too leak and not know it and also think I'm leaking when I'm not.
If I sit for a few hours and then get up my bladder will empty.
On very rare occasions I have been standing and suddenly feel intense pressure
in my groin. When that happens I've got about 5 seconds before a urine gush.
I'll generally just cross my legs and breathe slower.
Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:25 pm 

Yes rj. We do understand. We are all there in one way or another.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:43 pm 

I have the problem of flooding when standing some of time if I've been sitting for a while. I have a theory that sitting puts pressure in the perineal region, which puts pressure on the urethra, which makes it more difficult to urinate. For males, it is certainly not natural urinating while sitting as it is standing either. As soon as you stand up, not only is that pressure released, but pressure is put on your bladder as well.

As least that's my theory.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:35 pm 

Ski wrote:
I have the problem of flooding when standing some of time if I've been sitting for a while. I have a theory that sitting puts pressure in the perineal region, which puts pressure on the urethra, which makes it more difficult to urinate. For males, it is certainly not natural urinating while sitting as it is standing either. As soon as you stand up, not only is that pressure released, but pressure is put on your bladder as well.

As least that's my theory.

Your theory fits with me too most odd I put it down to pressure or something.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:23 pm 

Another problem area which has happen again is elevators. Nothing like quickly gaining 5-10 lbs because how fast it goes up. Was perfectly fine didn't need to go, got in the elevator took it to my floor and quickly searching for a bathroom.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:56 am 

I guess if you try and get the maximum use out of a nappy then you risk leaks. I have had this happen many times at night but fortunately rarely during the day and fortunately never yet in public.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next