www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long time Diaper user
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:56 pm 

I am currently 65 years old and have worn diapers for a majority of my life.

As a baby my mom told me she used Curity cloth diapers on us kids. She said that by the time my sister was born, plastic pants were readily available. I have worn cloth diapers and plastic pants for the most part, nearly all of my life.

I was not daytime trained until I was about 6 and continued to wet every night until well into 17. Anytime we traveled at all in the car, I was in diapers. Also when visiting friends. My parents like to visit friends on Friday or Saturday evenings. In my younger years I was diapered and then put into my sleepers before leaving. I invariably fell asleep before we left for home.

I did encounter issues as a child, from my dad who was not at all pleased with his son wearing diapers. This in spite of having numerous doctors tell my parents I could not help it.

After mid 17 I had few accidents until I was about 23. Night wetting started again at that age. It was back to the doctors with no solution. My nervous system does not communicate good between my brain and bladder.

As I mentioned in another post I had TURP prostate surgery in 2004 and have been totally urinary incontinent since.

Back to diapers. When I outgrew baby diapers, my parents purchased diapers and plastic pants from Klienerts. I continued using their products as an adult until the stopped production. I began using Priva prefolded cloth diapers with great success. I tried a variety of plastic pants makers but finally found and settled on Comcomfg. Unfortunately they stopped production recently.

Priva also discontinued making cloth diapers. For the past few years I have worn Curity 4 layer flat diapers from Adult Diaper Co. I like the ability to fold how I wish. I buy them in 44"x44". They shrink more than the say.

As for plastic pants, when I found out Comco was going out of business, I was able to purchase their entire inventory of my size.

When traveling in our 5th wheel I mostly use cloth. If we are staying at friends or a motel, I wear disposable. I buy AbriForm Plus. At night I still pin a cloth diaper over it and then plastic pants. For me I find that disposable diapers often leak at the sides as I sleep on my side frequently.

I have tried the so called "training" style pants. I do not like them as I have to undress to change. With a diaper I simply pull my pants and plastics down, unpin my diaper and change.

I have never had anyone comment, stare at me or anything else while diapered. As a kid of course I did but that is a different matter. I honestly think it is pretty hard to tell I am diapered during the daytime. Possible another adult who wear them may notice but even then it is not likely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 am 

TLJ,

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you have been trough a lot in your lifetime. Thanks for the recomendations of how you deal with it. I wish you the best of luck going forward. I remember reading in another post about your wife being very supportive despite your mother trying to scare her off at the beginning. That is a good thing to have a supportive spouse.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:33 pm 

msshendo wrote:
TLJ,

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you have been trough a lot in your lifetime. Thanks for the recomendations of how you deal with it. I wish you the best of luck going forward. I remember reading in another post about your wife being very supportive despite your mother trying to scare her off at the beginning. That is a good thing to have a supportive spouse.

I am fortunate indeed.

Today I am traveling to the VA Hospital for my semi annual visit with my pulmonologist. I will be away for the better part of the day and changing cloth diapers is very awkward. I am wearing Abri Form X Plus.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:58 pm 

Welcome TLJ......thanks for sharing your experience here with us......having a supportive wife makes me feel like I could conquer the world!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:47 pm 

TLJ, Just curious did you have problems while you where in the military? If so how did you handle them? I started having small accidents while I was still in, but most of the time paper towels would help soak up the mess. Plus, since shirt tails where required to be tucked in, they added another layer so it wouldn't show. I still work around the military and luckily I have a office with a door on it so if I have to change at work I can. Otherwise, I might be looking for another job. Plus, the bathrooms in my building are small so it is easy to quickly dispose of my protection without anyone seeing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:36 pm 

batman381327 wrote:
TLJ, Just curious did you have problems while you where in the military? If so how did you handle them? I started having small accidents while I was still in, but most of the time paper towels would help soak up the mess. Plus, since shirt tails where required to be tucked in, they added another layer so it wouldn't show. I still work around the military and luckily I have a office with a door on it so if I have to change at work I can. Otherwise, I might be looking for another job. Plus, the bathrooms in my building are small so it is easy to quickly dispose of my protection without anyone seeing.

I was able to stay dry for the most part during my 19 mo. of active duty. I was in Vietnam during the Tet. Everything was wet and smelly anyway so not an issue. When returned to home ship, I started to have some issues with wetting. My friend ran the laundry and helped me hide things for awhile but it was not long before I was discovered. I ended up getting out 5 months early with a Honorable with Medical conditions discharge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:58 pm 

Gotta love those kind of shipmates. Thank you for your service during those turbulent times. Glad they gave you a Honorable with Medical conditions instead of saying you were malingering just to get out (they probably still tried). I was towards the end of my career and knew I wasn't going back to sea, so I mention it to the doctor. His response was you are too young to have those issues as you have nothing that indicates causing incontinence. (diabetes/back injury) Luckily he documented it though and told me if it starts progressing let him know. Well a few years later, I am out and started to have more and more accidents. So I muster up the strength to go to the VA over it and finally got some answers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 pm 

batman, glad to hear that your situation worked out. I have not bothered VA about my issues. I know a guy who get disposable from them and is unindated with them.

Thank you for your service too

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:34 pm 
Admin

I get some of my disposables from the local VA. They use "wings" diapers and ive seen better quality ones.
They only send me refills when I reorder them. I just gotta make sure that I reorder before I run out. :lol: :lol:

I do buy better disposables, but for outside the house.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:25 pm 

I get my supplies from them also. At first, the only kind they would prescribe was Depends protection with tabs. I could not stand them. They were bulky and hot. So for the longest time I just bought my own. Through someone else I received the following link http://www1.va.gov/nac/index.cfm?action ... rg_Catalog to search for products. One day I saw they started supplying Depends real fit and I got them to change it over to those. Although they cannot handle much fluid, they allow me to get through the day. Like Schoppy I only get refills when I need them. Just have to plan for shipping time.

My only complaint is one of the first docs was rude and I felt he was judging me for not being able to control my bladder. I felt relieved when test came back showing my bladder would go into spasms giving me the urges and not being able to make it to the bathroom. I wanted to throw those results at him, but I guess other people complained because I have not seen that doc again there..

Schoppy, I have read somewhere if what the VA does not have what you need, the doctor can request a better quality item. It just has to be justified