www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: How do you wear?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:13 am 

Patrick mentioned getting another two years of useable life out of his washables. How long do cloth diapers last for most of you. Please mention whether they are pre-folds or flats, and the material. That greatly affects the economics of cloth versus disposables. Thanks.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:32 am 

Not sure how valid my experience would be but originally I had 6 day weight diapers and 4 nighttime weight diapers. I was using between 3 or 4 day diapers and one at night. When I figured in drying time there were a lot of times when I need to change I was getting one that was hanging up to dry to for me, 6 was the minimum number of day diapers to have. I still have all of my original diapers and just now added 3 more to the supply. I have been using the same diapers for almost a year and a half and even though they are starting to show a little wear and tear, they are still in good condition.
So for me, if you have the bare minimum and wash ever 2 to 3 days they should last well over a year and a half. I am thinking about two years with the most amount of usage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:42 pm 

I guess I'm just a little Scottish on this one. My current inventory includes several truly worn-out diapers, which I fold and use as inner pads, which gives me an extra year's use from them. My gauze diapers seem not to be lasting as long as the birdseye and flannel diapers did, but they are more comfortable. I have a dozen of them. My plastic pants are all more than five years old.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:33 pm 
Admin

Patrick

I too have gauze diapers for night time use and I have also use them during the day while at home.
But I guess im just hard on my plastic pants as they dont last 5 years.

Schoppy

Maybe my washing machine is a little hungry hehe :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:46 am 

Those of us that choose cloth diapers over disposable diapers do so for assorted reasons. We save buying 365 diapers a year, just wearing them at night. Comfort and absorbency rank high on the list also. We never run out of diapers, like everyone who has forgot to order in time. I have spent days in just cloth diapers waiting for my supplies to arrive. They last me at least 3 years, some longer. I prefer gauze also. But it still comes down to what YOU feel secure and comfortable wearing. They are all still diapers after all. I think a lot of people avoid cloth diapers because they feel pinning them on and the plastic pants make them feel more "Babyish" kinda dumb since a diaper is a diaper. After time we all settle into our groove! We just have to find that balance. Papa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:36 am 

I am considering going back to cloth if we move. We are looking at moving to a rental that has a washer and dryer in house. If that occurs, I wouldn't have to truck my laundry to a laundromat every week and would be able to do cloth again. I have come to realize I have been spending a good bit of money on diapers this first quarter of the year and almost depleted my FSA already. So now I'm also trying to make it to the bathroom when I can instead of just giving in and using the diaper. Trying to cut down on the costs a bit too.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:49 am 

We temporarily are in an apartment with a poor washer-dryer while waiting for a new house. Currently I wear a quality disposable with a booster and a day-weight on top to catch any leaks. The cloth diaper only needs to be washed about every 4 - 5 days, when the disposable leaks. I'm not saving any money this way as I still use a disposable each night.

In our new house I intend to have a high capacity washer with pre-wash and sanitary cycles. And a dryer capable for diapers.

Then I intend to try cloth at night as my only diaper. Perhaps also I will try cloth as my morning diaper, as I work out of the home and tend to be at home during morning hours. That alone would reduce the cost of disposables.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:54 am 

John, switching from disposable diapers to cloth diapers at night to save money will save you money but there is more to consider and learn here too. You will be going from what you know well to a whole new system of diapering. I will offer my advice and what I have learned and I am sure others will too. By now I am sure you have learned that the "Diaper Game" has many individual facets to it. We are all different and in that we all have different goals to hit.
First off I would invest in mostly night weight cloth diapers, heavy to extra heavy weight. Once I got past the "bulk" thing leaks became something of the past. I wear two night weight cloth diapers every night. This allows me to never worry about leaking. It also allows me to get up and come down and make coffee, read the news and email and enjoy the morning. I easily get 12 hours without needing my diapers changed (10pm to 10 am). So go for security over discretion. Cloth to me is also much more comfortable. When buying your supplies avoid baby diaper pins - they are made for baby diapers not adult diapers. Also only buy stainless steel adult diaper pins, the nickel plated diaper pins will rust and leave rust stains on your diapers. I used the baby pins but after two broke and one cam undone I learned. You said you will continue to use cloth diapers in the morning, use night weight again. They will last longer and since you are home - why not. You could easily get 6 hours out of them. With even a night weight diaper on I can throw on a pair of jeans and go out, but you have to adjust to wearing cloth diapers first to get that confidence. A hint on drying, if your diapers do not totally dry on first cycle hang them up to finish drying, do not "cook" them with over drying. Set up a laundry line in the basement. I hope this helps, but remember we all develop our own "tricks" and we all have different needs so be patient and all will be fine. Papa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:29 am 

Thanks to everyone for the very good information. :D

Papa, thanks for including so much detail as that is exactly the type of information that is so hard to find - or learn.

I did not think it possible to get 12 hours out of a cloth diaper. I can adjust to the bulk for the peace of mind. Again, I just did not consider a night-weight cloth diaper for the morning wear. It makes sense.

For those who are wearing flats? What about size? (and what size are you?)

Do most of you wear gauze? What are your preferred brands and suppliers?

--John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:51 am 

John, Be sure whatever cloth diapers you buy they are 100% cotton - no poly or fillers. Read what they are made of and avoid any ones that are not 100% cotton. I get 12 hours plus out of 2 night weight diapers not one. You can buy very thick extra heavy weight cloth diapers but drying them is a pain. How many cloth diapers you wear and their thickness will be a personal thing. Make sure also that your plastic pants will easily cover your diapers. You may find you will need larger plastic pants if you bulk up in the evening. It is also advisable to just buy a few from a new source until you know what each makers diapers are like. Also avoid diapers that are colored or have prints. You will need to bleach your diapers from time to time and that will 'bleach' them out. If you want some color or what ever do it with your plastic pants. Remember one advantage of cloth diapers is that they are natural fibers up against your body and that feels good and is better for you. Papa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next