www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:48 am 

A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by a rep offering me a sample of the Coloplast external catheters. I got them last friday (3 days worth) & other than the leg bag which had a capacity that was small, I found them to work very well. No leaks at all! What they sent me was the Conveen Optima External Catheters. I found a medical supply house online, STL Medical Supplies & when you weigh out the cost it's much less expensive than diapers... at least for me. I worried all day the 1st day that it would slip off & that never happened. Removal was easy with a little warm water. The bag they sent was a 500ml but you can get a 1000ml leg bag & up to 3000ml for overnight. The bags can be cleaned for repeated use. 30 catheters was about $1.65 each & the bags which come with the tubes were about $5.00. Might be something to consider for others out here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:12 am 

Don0417

Before my bladder went flaccid and I needed a Foley catheter to keep it drained I use to use condom catheters and have for 30yrs or more.
I never had many problems with them they worked wonderful for me.

Did you know most insurance companies will pay for external catheters unlike diapers?
Catheters fall under durable medical goods where diapers are considered non-durable medical goods considered aids.

Catheters are easily concealed under clothing I used them most of my working years and no one ever found out about them.

Lyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:58 pm 
Admin

I have pretty well tried them all, I also had contact with a rep at Coloplast, they were terrific to deal with, and sent a bunch of variety of samples of external caths. I am guessing that they bought out Mentor, which is the brand I prefer to use when I do use them, the LS gets me through 24 hours with no worries at all. Not a fan of Hollister, except for their legbags, and it's nice to have coverage for supplies through my benefit package, makes it a bit easier on the wallet! I also agree with you 2lyle, no one can notice anything when you are wearing this rig, unless you let the bag get so full it stands out! :lol: Puffy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:28 am 

I've used sheaths (external catheters) for many years - until recebntly when my bladder decided it wasn't going to let anything out! The Colopast one are quite good my I finally found Manfred Sauerones and they were my favourite.

It's a good solution - better than nappies (diapers) if one is not bowel incontinence not least because if the leg bag is fitted to the lower leg it can be discretely empties in all sorts of odd places.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:57 am 

I've been told that some people go 2-3 days before changing the catheter & others change 2 times per day. Any ideas? Secondly I made my order & I get an email from STL medical that only a partial order was sent. I ordered 2 boxes of catheters & leg bags. Went online with the medical company & they tell me the catheters are backordered. That puts me in a pickle. I ponied up the money I would normally use for diaper replacement. My luck... very 1st order & it's backordered!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 am 

don0417 wrote:
I've been told that some people go 2-3 days before changing the catheter & others change 2 times per day. Any ideas? Secondly I made my order & I get an email from STL medical that only a partial order was sent. I ordered 2 boxes of catheters & leg bags. Went online with the medical company & they tell me the catheters are backordered. That puts me in a pickle. I ponied up the money I would normally use for diaper replacement. My luck... very 1st order & it's backordered!

Well the right sheaths (external catheters) ought to be changed every 24 hours and they ought to still be sticking on at that time. I used to replace them after my evening shower. Leg bags can be used for a week at a time - one can wash them out and I did t one time but, really, there's no need. So, for a week, you need 7 sheaths, a leg bag and a night bag (around 2 litres). I have no idea of prices as these things are part of our health service provision but I would have thought it would end up cheaper than nappies (diapers) for a whole week and less fuss changing too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 pm 

Thanks for the info Wheels! I'm going to go the route of external catheters for a while just to see what the future holds. I seems to have bowel problems under control so I may be able to get away with it. It felt great to be out of diapers for a couple of days and really didn't notice the bag attached to my calf after a short time other than it was only 500ml & I needed to empty it more often than I wanted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:15 am 

I've found that the catheter adhesive is some strong stuff. Any ideas how to remove the catheter without tearing yourself to bits?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:25 am 

don0417 wrote:
I've found that the catheter adhesive is some strong stuff. Any ideas how to remove the catheter without tearing yourself to bits?

Soak in the bath or the shower. I haven't had problems getting them off but I suppose it depends on skin type. You could ask the advisers at Coloplast - there's usually a free phone number to call for a chat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:16 am 
Admin

They do make an adhesive remover, in a wipe and a liquid, but I manage without it, and I use a prep that helps with the bond to the skin, so far never had an issue. :D Puffy